We're really excited to begin pre-release testing of MediaMonkey 5. MediaMonkey 5 is a major overhaul of MediaMonkey. It creates a foundation for a more modern UI, includes a framework that allows MediaMonkey better integrate with cloud/music services, allows MediaMonkey to become cross-platform and support different form factors; improves developer interfaces so that it can be customized to a greater degree, and lays the groundwork to make it a more social experience.
Most of the work to-date has focused on building a solid platform. That, combined with the huge number of changes, means that you can expect the alpha to have missing functionality (auto-tagging, video conversion, etc.), a significant number of bugs, and many areas for improvement. We're putting it out because we want your feedback and ideas. Specifically:
- Serious bugs that we've overlooked (i.e. don't bother with minor issues at this stage)
- Issues/ideas for the design
- Issues/ideas for improvements to the developer interfaces
- Issues/ideas for the skinning framework
In addition, we're hoping that developers and skinners will start experimenting and create some new/updated addons in the MM5 developer forum.
The most recent v5 build will always be in the last post in this thread. To be notified of future builds, just subscribe to this thread.
During the pre-release testing period, we're going to post official Alpha, Beta, and Release Candidate builds, along with informal Developer builds:
- Alpha builds are feature incomplete, and have undergone limited testing. They're for the adventurous among you.
Beta builds are near feature complete and have undergone more thorough testing, but along with many known issues, still have their fair share unknown issues.
Release candidates are feature complete, and well-tested, and should have all issues categorized as 'immediate or urgent' resolved, and have few unknown issues.
Test builds are used internally for testing and whose stability hasn't been verified. They are shared with hardcore testers so that there aren't long gaps between formal Alpha / Beta / RC builds.
- - The Alpha installation is a Portable install. When you install version 5, a new DB will be created, and your old one preserved for use with MediaMonkey 4. If you make changes in one DB, they will not be reflected in the other.
- If you have a MediaMonkey 3/4 Gold license, Gold functionality will be active until MediaMonkey 5 licenses are made available for sale.
- Scripts / Addons from MediaMonkey 4 will not be compatible.
- Video encoding isn't yet supported
- If you receive an error message on startup, you may need to install MS VC++ Redistributable Packages from: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/downloa ... x?id=40784
- MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/beta/MediaMo ... _Debug.exe
Note: the most recent MediaMonkey 5 pre-release build, is at the last post in this thread.
- Double-click the downloaded file and follow the installation instructions:
-When prompted for an install directory, choose a new directory such as /Temp/Portable Apps/MediaMonkey 5/ so as to preserve your existing MediaMonkey installation.
-The MediaMonkey Team