A few thoughts on the current Alpha (build 2057)

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jcfogerty

A few thoughts on the current Alpha (build 2057)

Post by jcfogerty »

The good:

Exiting MM5 is a much cleaner process. When exiting normally (no bug was generated during the session), all background MM processes shown in task manager vanish cleanly and quickly (within a second or two). When exiting MM4 (4.1.14.1813) normally, it routinely takes 1:20 or longer for MM processes to end in task manager.

The current MM5 beta booted up in about the same time as MM4 (around 4 secs most times)

Needs improvement:

More memory-intensive processes were slower in the beta. My benchmark was to load a complex smart playlist. The scheme has many nested smart playlists within playlists. In MM4, the complex playlist takes around 30-40 secs to produce the output. In MM5, it varied widely, but the same playlist had a range between 1:03-2:30.

Test were performed with a clean boot of Win 10 and 8GB RAM with an Intel G3258 processor.
Last edited by jcfogerty on Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: A few thoughts on the current beta

Post by Lowlander »

3:15 for my complex AutoPlaylist in MM5 (1.15 in MM4) on first load after starting MM. .28/.38 (MM5/MM4) the second time around.
jcfogerty

Re: A few thoughts on the current beta

Post by jcfogerty »

I thought the slower times may have been due to indexing not being complete, but I used MM5 for more than an hour before doing these tests. My library is 13,000 tracks.

My smart playlist scheme is memory intensive for both MM4 and MM5, but I found a clear difference in performance, at least for this particular function. Loading "all tracks" in both versions took around the same amount of time.
Ludek

Re: A few thoughts on the current Alpha (build 2057)

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
the MM5 start time will be significantly improved in 2058 (there was actually a regression that was slowing it).

Re the auto-playlist load, we are going to verify it. This also sounds like a regression, probably related to sorting changes (auto-playlists are now sorted natively and not by SQL).