Can't see windows shares in MM5

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

jmcc

Can't see windows shares in MM5

Post by jmcc »

Hi - if I go to "Folders/Network/Microsoft Windows Network/" I can't see any of my network shares at all (and there's nowhere to type in //server/sharename) - it does a "Loading..." but then nothing appears (I can see them fine in Windows Explorer).

If I go "File/Open URL or File" I can see the shares etc. in explorer from there as well.

Thx
John
Ludek

Re: Can't see windows shares in MM5

Post by Ludek »

jmcc wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 pm Hi - if I go to "Folders/Network/Microsoft Windows Network/" I can't see any of my network shares at all
Are you seeing them in MM4 > My Computer /Network/Microsoft Windows Network/ ??
This was ported from MM4 so should work the same way.

jmcc wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 12:54 pm and there's nowhere to type in //server/sharename
This functionality was added to build 2106 (to be posted)
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

Hi - on MM4 I see the shares in /My Computer/Network/%servername%/%share_name% - there's actually nothing under /My Computer/Network/Microsoft Windows Network. (This is on a different machine/OS so there's also a vague possibility that it's machine related). Thx John
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

FYI - still can't see anything on build 2104.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi - on MM4 I see the shares in /My Computer/Network/%servername%/%share_name% - there's actually nothing under /My Computer/Network/Microsoft Windows Network. (This is on a different machine/OS so there's also a vague possibility that it's machine related). Thx John
OK, that means that the network share cannot be auto-discovered by MM4 too and you probably added the location manually when scanning it into library?
FYI - still can't see anything on build 2104.
Hi, unfortunately Rusty has posted 17 days old build (2104) instead of the new 2106,
please download the 2106 debug from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t27i396fruejv ... g.exe?dl=0

The in Folders there is new menu 'Add Location...', select 'Network...' and add the network share manually.
jmcc

Post by jmcc »

Hi - I can now add the shares manually, but it still functions slightly weirdly in that I added the share \\motorcom\music, but when then browsing I got all of the shares on \\motorcom rather than just music. It works though, which is excellent news. Thx - John
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Problem is in Windows explorer Network Tree node that query/scan network shares on each open and if third party apps access API it can timeout/end with missing results. That is why we added manual entry where if you have at least one track in MMW/MM5 by Manually add path them MM query path directly and do not depend on windows API calls and results, which result in behavior that MM can browse shares without problems.

This is known Windows issue with Master Browser election and it is like that from time to time all the way back from Windows 95
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts