Crossfade disabled but tracks jump/crossfade [#14971]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

e10kstarfire

Crossfade disabled but tracks jump/crossfade [#14971]

Post by e10kstarfire »

Build 2104

I playback quite a few dance albums where tracks are mixed from one song to the next.

I have disabled crossfading in settings but still the sounds jumps/fades in an unusual manner when it changes tracks automatically to the next one in the playlist.

What seems to happen is remaining time display gets down to 5 seconds and then the next track kicks in?
malkierian

Re: Crossfade disabled but tracks jump/crossfade

Post by malkierian »

Also confirmed. I was always satisfied with the crossfade, so I never disabled it, but without the crossfade, playback just freezes for a second or two at the end of a track, making for an awful continuity break especially for tracks that make a single "theatrical album", where they're meant to be played back to back and the gap is noticeable.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I can't replicate the problem, are you sure that if you stop and restart playback?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
e10kstarfire

Post by e10kstarfire »

I play any track and track remaining bottom right hand corner never gets to zero before the next track kicks in....

Basically try playing any album that is already mixed where one song flows into another and you can easily hear the transition jumps badly.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This sound like sound card driver output buffer handling issue where when MM5 send new Audio data to sound card buffer gets cleared instead of mixed.
Best regards,
Peke
e10kstarfire

Post by e10kstarfire »

Are you saying this is a not a MM5 issue ?
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

OK, now this is weird. Suddenly, I'm not noticing any difference between crossfade on and crossfade off, they're both playing smoothly, even on my everything playlist (2000+ tracks, which has caused some lagging in other ways)...
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

There is also a crossfade checkbox for the output plug-in (Tools -> Options -> Output Plug-in -> Configure). When I unchecked that, the crossfade jump I was experiencing went away. This may be what Peke was saying about the sound card.
malkierian

Post by malkierian »

Yarguy, the hanging/skipping I was experiencing can't be explained by a sound card driver issue, as nothing else that wasn't set to crossfade had that issue, so if it was still a problem, it would be a problem in how MM5 was handling next song buffering. But, it looks like the crossfade functionality needs some fleshing out anyway, as it's not even as refined as WMP, and that's saying something. That being said, like I said, I can't replicate it on my own installation anymore.

EDIT: Well, I figured it out. It looks like MY problem is a general lag built up over time. I've had MM5 open for maybe 3-4 hours since the last restart, and it now takes about 20-40 seconds to go to the next track. If I can track it down more specifically, I'll post a separate bug report for it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This sounds like some memory leaks in MM5. Can you please make full debug log as described in https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=30&t=69 and open support ticket to upload it to us for analyze.

Hint: Compress it to make it smaller.
Best regards,
Peke
e10kstarfire

Post by e10kstarfire »

yarguy wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 3:21 pm There is also a crossfade checkbox for the output plug-in (Tools -> Options -> Output Plug-in -> Configure). When I unchecked that, the crossfade jump I was experiencing went away. This may be what Peke was saying about the sound card.
Yes, I unchecked that option against "MediaMonkey DirectSound Output" and the crossfade issue is resolved.

BUT, shouldn't checking Playback Rules -> Disable crossfading do this ?.....
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Yes, we added many tweaks regarding playback into Build 2108 that should resolve such inconsistency across settings.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Re: Crossfade disabled but tracks jump/crossfade [#14971]

Post by Peke »

few more analyzes and tweaks added in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14971
Best regards,
Peke