FAQ/Help docs for MM5?[#14893][#14896][#14933][#14934][#14935][#14936][#14941]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Chondog

FAQ/Help docs for MM5?[#14893][#14896][#14933][#14934][#14935][#14936][#14941]

Post by Chondog »

Is there a "draft" FAQ/Online Help section specific to MM5 builds besides the changelog? I realize that the alpha version changes constantly, but it would be helpful to have some specific information, especially around the new enhancements and differences from MM4. I'm mainly interested in the integration between MM and the cloud services/GPM.
Peke

Re: FAQ/Help docs for MM5?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately, no. MM5 Feature set is not yet fully completed so creating Help File according to current feature set would mean double work for us.

Feel free to ask any specific questions regarding MM5 and we will try to explain.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Chondog

Post by Chondog »

I think I've tried to ask this before, but I'm trying to understand the intent of integrating with GPM.

Will MM5 merely be a way to play GPM music or could my entire library be managed in GPM (no local library) with the same tagging capabilities and all of the other functions like finding duplicates, lookup artwork, lyrics, etc.?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
you can move your library to GPM, but it is limited in some ways, namely you can upload "only" 50,000 tracks and only in MP3 format (Google limitations).

For uploading tracks to GPM you can add GPM as sync target and the synchronization works similarly like sync to a portable device, you can set up sync list or right-click playlists/tracks > Sent to > GPM.

Once you have the tracks already in GPM then you can optionally scan them into your local library by selecting the '[x] Scan for media / playlists checkbox...'
See https://www.dropbox.com/s/944whvq8fjde6 ... 6.png?dl=0
This way the remote GPM tracks will be scanned into local library and available for streaming or download. You can just stream them all or download locally either by checking the '[x] Download scanned files' checkbox or individual tracks by right-click > Download.

Note that the other cloud services (One Drive, DropBox, Google Drive) are not limited, i.e. you can upload more than 50K tracks and in whatever format, in addition MM5 uploads also metadata storage database into the cloud so all metadata (including custom fields are stored in the cloud storage). With GPM only the metadata supported by GPM is synced (though we are looking for a way how to store all metadata to GPM - it is TODO).
Chondog

Post by Chondog »

Thank you very much. Very clear and helpful.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:33 amNote that the other cloud services (One Drive, DropBox, Google Drive) are not limited, i.e. you can upload more than 50K tracks and in whatever format, in addition MM5 uploads also metadata storage database into the cloud so all metadata (including custom fields are stored in the cloud storage). With GPM only the metadata supported by GPM is synced (though we are looking for a way how to store all metadata to GPM - it is TODO).
But GPM is streaming service as well as just cloud storage.

What is the intention for an existing customer of both MM and GPM. ... ie someone who has already used the Google Music Manager to upload their collection to the Google servers, how do they get started with MM5?

Their GPM library would be a mix of up to 50,000 of their own tracks, which they uploaded to Google, AND also Google tracks which they don't own, but they stream a lot.

If they want to use MM5 to stream and make playlists, do they need to get MM database to index their GPM library, and become aware of the IDs that Google has assigned to the tracks and albums?

If they get MM5 to Scan For Media, the tracks which they uploaded will now be duplicated in their MM database.

Do you address this duplication? ... Or do you intend to?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 am If they get MM5 to Scan For Media, the tracks which they uploaded will now be duplicated in their MM database.

Do you address this duplication? ... Or do you intend to?
No, they aren't duplicated, once local copies exists then the tracks are just linked with the local copies (based on metadata). This prevents from the duplicates.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:17 am No, they aren't duplicated, once local copies exists then the tracks are just linked with the local copies (based on metadata). This prevents from the duplicates.
I am seeing duplicates, but the importation is failing before completion, so I suppose that your post download processing is not happening.

It crashes. Probably one of these:
8A7047D4
8A70F68B
716315EF

I will try and find time to a more structured test in the weekend, so that I can provide better information.

I do have doubts about the process. Firstly I think that the Google Music Manager minimises the upload to Google, by fingerprinting your collection, and then only uploading tracks which they don't already have quality versions for. ... so the tracks that you get in your Google library often differ quite a lot from your own tags. ... Secondly I will have re-tagged some tracks since the upload to Google.

Presumably you are doing the match up using the tags?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 am It crashes. Probably one of these:
8A7047D4
8A70F68B
716315EF
I don't see the logs here, have you submitted them?
Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 am Presumably you are doing the match up using the tags?
Yes, based on tags (title, artist, album, duration)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

I was getting a lot of exceptions. I think most submitted.

Busy at the momnet: Australia playing in the World Cup. 1:1 :)
During half time I tried again from a fresh install. Got 8A70F68B. It submitted to you.

It failed after importing a couple of hundred tracks, from about 34,000
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Is midnight. Going to bed.

I did another attempt ..failed with 9806F68B see here https://www.dropbox.com/s/gn0yebhemhdhi ... m.png?dl=0

This time it got to 2735 tracks loaded from Google ... I think that there are 44,000+ tracks in my GPM library ... 43,000 uploaded by Google Music manager from my own tracks, the rest are from Google streaming library

I see duplicates in my MM db:
1 track with path pointing to my NAS
and now a duplicate without path, and it is a member of a playlist that you must have created, named Add From Google Play Music on ...today..
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 am
Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:47 am Presumably you are doing the match up using the tags?
Yes, based on tags (title, artist, album, duration)
BTW the duplicate that I noticed has a different track duration in my GPM library ... ie it was "uploaded' by Google Manager, and that is why it is my GPM library,
but see the different track lengths
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2cnu1dhlgp0y ... k.png?dl=0
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 am During half time I tried again from a fresh install. Got 8A70F68B. It submitted to you.
Hmm for some reason these log IDs are not here :-/

Could you please find the error report as 'MediaMonkey.elf' / 'MediaMonkey.el' located in the same folder as MediaMonkey.exe or at c:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\EurekaLab s.a.s\EurekaLog\Bug Reports\ or at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\EurekaLog\MediaMonkey
and share it via a DropBox link?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Take it back, the logs are here, just the IDs don't match for some reason, I've received it as 7163F68B and 629FF68B , i.e. only the ..F68B suffix matches.
Gonna look into it tomorrow, it's midnight here.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:38 pm Take it back, the logs are here, just the IDs don't match for some reason, I've received it as 7163F68B and 629FF68B , i.e. only the ..F68B suffix matches.
Gonna look into it tomorrow, it's midnight here.
I see the problem re the IDs. It is your Copy Log ID button ... this https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypqvffkgshxe2 ... n.png?dl=0

I triggered the problem again this morning. It copied this to the clipboard; 8A70F68B

But if I press the Details>> button I see that the prefix of the real ID is different: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9h084f2pbjmac ... D.png?dl=0