FAQ/Help docs for MM5?[#14893][#14896][#14933][#14934][#14935][#14936][#14941]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Ludek

Re: FAQ/Help docs for MM5? [#14896]

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14893

Otherwise the crashes will be fixed in the next build.

I also fixed some other issues related to GPM sync for the next build:
- missing tracks in playlists,
- live edits of GPM tracks (so that direct editing of non-library GPM tracks works)
- track metadata updates
- added also advanced metadata support including custom fields, I used GPM's comment field for this as the field isn't visible in the GPM UI (stored as JSON there)

Re:
Barry4679 wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:45 am BTW the duplicate that I noticed has a different track duration in my GPM library ... ie it was "uploaded' by Google Manager, and that is why it is my GPM library,
but see the different track lengths
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2cnu1dhlgp0y ... k.png?dl=0
In my matching algorithm I use (abs(track1.duration - track2.duration) < 1000 milliseconds), but in your cause it might be slightly more than 1 second? So I guess I should use 2 seconds tolerance. But this duration comparison is used only when more than 1 track matches the 'Artist - Title', which is probably the case for you?
Barry4679

Re: FAQ/Help docs for MM5?

Post by Barry4679 »

I look forward to getting the GPM fixes and extensions.

I don't know if this important, but I see something strange. I retested in a new empty MM5 db, without allowing copy of settings and data from MM4.

(btw there was a crash when opening with an empty db ... real dump tag is D5C6EBB9)

I retested with an empty db, because I had inserted a Medias table row into my MM4 for "Youtube", and I wanted to make sure that this wasn't screwing you up in MM5, and also I wanted to be sure just what was coming from GPM.

It still crashes, but I suppose that is one of the fixes you have done.

But what was strange was when i look at what gets imported into MM5 db from GPM, it reports it as being in two locations ... is this expected ... there is just one row in the Medias table it is labeled as Youtube. ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/mvg6w22qzu4pk ... s.png?dl=0

Also I get a crash sometimes when I close this window
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ux92j0xavdtzu ... x.png?dl=0
before the download wheel stops spinning. .... ie. I press SYNC NOW, and then the OK button to return to the main UI.

Sometimes I get a crash which doesn't produce a dump for you, it seems to be outside the scope of your debugger
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6fladyqc59d8 ... g.png?dl=0

Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 am In my matching algorithm I use (abs(track1.duration - track2.duration) < 1000 milliseconds), but in your cause it might be slightly more than 1 second? So I guess I should use 2 seconds tolerance. But this duration comparison is used only when more than 1 track matches the 'Artist - Title', which is probably the case for you?
In my case the difference is usually just a second I think. ... I don't know just how many duplicates I get during the GPM import, as I can never get it to complete, and it is importing so few of my 44k+ tracks that it is hard to be sure about just how many duplicates, and what all the differences are

I do see differences in the display when you double click an album, and do a library vs online compare. In this screen about half the tracks are a second out, so looks as if that could be a rounding vs non-rounding issue.

I guess that this isn't the same thing as what you are talking about though ... that "online" value isn't what you are using for this comparison is it?

I would have a few duplicates of Artist|Title. ... when tracks are used in soundtracks, or live versions, also some composite albums, or alt version on "Enhanced" versions CD.

My tracks here are flac ... I guess that the Google Music manager transcoded them to .mp3 ... that might have treated opening or closing silences differently?
Also my tracks where ripped with dbPoweramp, ie. it wasn't your ripper. ... I used their max compression setting because i had so many tracks, but they say that it is still lossless.
Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:11 am added also advanced metadata support including custom fields, I used GPM's comment field for this as the field isn't visible in the GPM UI (stored as JSON there)
This is different to the Comment tag? I was surprised (not in a bad way) to see that Google seems to have imported, and then you have imported back, some data that I had stored in the Comments tag of a few of my tracks ... I had assumed that Google would junk any nonessential data like that.

I have seen some tracks with my data in the Comments tag, but someone else's data in the BPM tag ... are you generating that, or is it coming from Google?

Downloads have stopped working again ... some message about unknown or incorrect protocol ... it says that I have 8 seconds to look at it, and then it disappears, and after that that for of error logging seems to be broken.

Also this message seems to ignores the NO To All and the Yes To All responses:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q8o3s79a5dlhs ... d.png?dl=0
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi
re D5C6EBB9 - this was regression in 2111 - already fixed in 2112+

Re: YouTube media: this has nothing to do with GPM, this is for Online tracks (i.e. when you are e.g. in Artists > ABBA > [Online] and adds a track to libary)

Re: Duration tolerance: I've adjusted it to 2 seconds in 2113, so let's retest in 2113

Re: comment tag: So far MM5 was adding only track comment to the tag, but starting from the next build (2113) there will be JSON including all advanced fields.
I suppose you saw the comment tag in MM5, right? As GPM app doesn't show the comment at all (therefore I used it for storing advanced metadata).

EDIT: The plan is to post 2113 today (once Petr finishes some issues related to auto-tagging)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am Re: YouTube media: this has nothing to do with GPM, this is for Online tracks (i.e. when you are e.g. in Artists > ABBA > [Online] and adds a track to libary)

Re: comment tag: So far MM5 was adding only track comment to the tag, but starting from the next build (2113) there will be JSON including all advanced fields.
I suppose you saw the comment tag in MM5, right? As GPM app doesn't show the comment at all (therefore I used it for storing advanced metadata).
This doesn't sound correct to me.

It was a fresh install of MM5, with no data transfer from MM4 db.
I never told it where my NAS was, so it had no visibility of my tracks.
It only had my GPM library.
If MM5 I can see 2 "locations": https://www.dropbox.com/s/fzba1o5rjstcz ... s.png?dl=0

Each "location" lists all of the tracks that MM5 has managed to index from my GPM library.
It is not as bad as I first thought, as just did an SQL query against the MM5 Songs table, and it has 6031 rows, which is the same number of rows that each of the two locations show ... so it just a display thing, and not a db thing.

Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am Re: comment tag: So far MM5 was adding only track comment to the tag, but starting from the next build (2113) there will be JSON including all advanced fields.
Yes, I was seeing in MM5 that you had imported my comments tag from GPM. The comments tag had been uploaded to GPM by Google Music Manager. ... I was surprised that they uploaded it ... And there was something introduced into the BPM tag that I didn't have in the source tracks that they had uploaded. So either that tag was merged in from someone else's library, or was measured by them (or you?) somehow.

I don't think that I will be personally helped by your JSON hack, because my 44,000 tracks are already loaded up into my GPM library.
So there will be no JSON string up there for me ... not that I need it do i? .. , because for someone like me all that is wanted from the GPM sync is for you to match the GPM metadata to my MM5 db entry, and store the Google track, album and artist ID's ... am I thinking of this correctly?
Excepting for my tracks that are GPM only, in which case you would add these into the MM db.

And the outcome is that I can play my GPM tracks using MM at home ... and I can design MM playlists, containing GPM based tracks ... and the playlist can be sync'd to my GPM library so that I can use it with either a GPM music client, or the MMA client, on my phone, streaming from GPM ... is this the aim?

Also I can sync tracks into my mobile when I am on my cheaper home Internet connection, and then play those tracks on my phone away from home, without mobile network charges.

And I can retag my GPM library using MM, because the Google client is crap to use.

That's the goals?

Ludek wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:59 am EDIT: The plan is to post 2113 today (once Petr finishes some issues related to auto-tagging)
Good. I will give it a thrashing over the weekend.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Did your patches get into 2113? ... I can't recognise them in the changelog, and there is nothing much except frustration in that release for GPM syncing.

I loaded MM5, and I allowed it to import my MM4 db. When i tried to sync from GPM I got crashes almost immediately. They weren't caught by your debugger, so nothing was sent to you.

I started again, and this time did not allow it to import anything from MM4, so that i could better see what was happening.
The same early crash. I waited for a while, and this time it seemed to get caught by your debugger. Real crash ID is C62E7E4E. If you can't locate the dump it is googlemusicuploader" at line 296 "Cannot read property '0' of null" ... The failing statement is looking for your JSON string in the Google comment field, ie. the line starts with "if (item.comment[0] != '{') {"

This early crash happens before anything gets imported, and I can't find any way to get past it. ... So there seems nothing further I can do regarding sync with this release.

I can open the node Devices&Services|GPM|AllTracks ... the wheel spins for a few seconds ... the same error pops up, ie. line 2969 (outside the scope of your debugger, so nothing dispatched to you) ... offers Restart|RestartsafeMode|Continue, but this time if I don't take any of the options (most other times the UI is frozen), the wheel keeps spinning, and in a few seconds it has downloaded the metadata from all of my 44,769 tracks at GPM ... except that it only seems to be loaded to an in-memory database or something, because nothing persists, nothing gets actually loaded to the MM5 db.

I tried to download a few tracks with the tracks right click download menu option. The download menu option only exists for tracks which I uploaded to GPM, ie. not for Google streamed tracks which I have added to my GPM library. I get the line 2969 App Error dbox again, but if I don't respond to it I can continue.

It is still flaky. It runs for a few tracks, and then it displays the really annoying dbox that runs a 8 seconds onscreen timer counter (like a Mission Impossible "read this message, as it will self-destruct in 8 seconds") ... after that the download facility is broken. ... The early tracks seem to get their mp3 files downloaded, and they get indexed by MM5. ... The tracks that were still in the batch when the Mission Impossible exception happened seem to just get indexed by MM5, ie no mp3 downloaded ... both tracks are playable, ie. MM5 just streams the no mp3 files.

I have seen what looks to me like two error situations:
  • One is real dump ID BE2D2A24 "track.sync_id missing (D:\Delphi\MediaMonkeyClean\HTML5Monkey\Devices.pas, line 2847)." Module: MediaMonkeyEngine.exe
  • The other is I managed to see Socket error #10093 agaisnt a lot of tracks on one of the error popup windows.
A lot of the mp3 downloaded tracks are being added into the MM5 database with a track title, but other tags are empty.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4844zbli3f314 ... g.png?dl=0

Also I have provided an override address for the download path. I did this here https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr78qpyrez6qg ... n.png?dl=0
It obeyed this for a while, and then put the rest of the downloads into C:\MediaMonkey 5\Portable\xxxxx

I had some other exception: 3A7CD6C8 : I don't remember what triggered that one.

One thing that is frustrating is that I cannot get MM5 to accept where I want it to scan for my tracks. It keeps reinserting locations in my C drive
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o3v3uq0fvxxlr ... s.png?dl=0
I delete these references. Stop and restart MM5, and they come back again.

Amother thing is that this dbox shows immediately that sync scanning starts ... ie. while the wheel is still spinning, and before anything has happened.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/51k9nw7sj2xvl ... x.png?dl=0
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi Barry,
sorry for the troubles, I haven't addressed the changes in and I have tested only on tracks uploaded by MM5.
The issue is fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14896

In order to not wait for further build just replace the /Scripts/googleMusicUploader/helpers/cloudServices_add.js by this script:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1q0zcnjm4b72z ... dd.js?dl=0
and it should finally work for you.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:23 pm In order to not wait for further build just replace the /Scripts/googleMusicUploader/helpers/cloudServices_add.js by this script: ...
That allows me to get a little further. The sync got started, but crashed with dump D389CC18
It had synced 4423 files (about 10% of my GPM library).
I restarted MM5, and retried but after a brief spinning of the wheels it crashed with D389F68B
It still had only 4423 files, so it can't get past that error.

I still have the problem that if I try and press OK in this window after pressing SYNC NOW, and while the wheels are spinning,
I often immediately get this crash, which kills MM5, but does not dispatch anything to you

this window: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jt9h4zg9u74vw ... x.png?dl=0
gives this crash: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ykd6f82z3ytzj ... h.png?dl=0
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks for submitting,
I've re-opened https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 896#c50613 and to fix it for 2114
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Firstly could the GPM sync posts in this thread be split off into a new thread with a better title? ... That could help someone with an interest in MM5 GPM integration.

Quite a lot of GPM progress in 2114 :)

* I installed a fresh version of MM5 2114, allowed it to transfer my db and settings from MM$
* it transferred 42825 tracks MM$->MM5
* I had already uploaded all of my tracks to my GPM library using Google's Music Manager tool ... my GPM library also has approx an additional 1,979 of Google's tracks, which I have added to my GPM library. ... maybe a few less as Google may have screwed matching my uploaded tracks to what I had already manually included to my GPM library before the upload of my own collection. ...I have some other s/w which says that I have 631 track duplicates in my GPM library, so there should be at least 1,348 tracks which are not in MM5
* start MM5's GPM sync
** phase 1: approx 1 minute: opens my GPM library, and import GPM metadata
** phase 2: approx + another 7 minutes: match GPM metadata to MM5 metadata, and update MM5 tracks with GPM IDs etc, so that MM5 can access the GPM version of my tracks
** phase 3: approx + another 8 minutes: "copying" 199 new tracks into my MM% database ... why only 199 tracks? ... I have at least 1,348 which should be new
** phase 4: not sure how long, it didn't complete on the 1st run when i was measuring time: import playlists from GPM ... quite slow, 17+ seconds per playlist ... has no progress counter ... ie. for the other phases, progress is shown in the status bar with "n of m" type messages, so that I could see that progress was happening .. but the playlist stage has nothing ... could a progress counter be added here as well?

On the first run it got to a playlist, which has just 8 entries, and then got stuck ... the MM5 wheel keeps spinning ... status bar not being updated ... cpu is being consumed ... no disk or network access. ... sits there for over 15 minutes

I was going to close MM5, but my stumble clicking somehow triggered a dbox with a one line error report ... which then seemed to allow the import to complete ... or to silently crash ... ie, the wheel stopped spinning. there was no dbox telling me what had been achieved.

So, either MM5 was consuming cpu for 15 minutes trying to display the dbox, or I clicked something which terminated a fruitless loop, ... and then the error dbox got displayed.

On my second test (ie. start again, reinstall MM5 etc), this time it completed, and showed the error dbox. I think that the MM5 UI is very fragile during the sync process (see comment below). On the second time I went away, so I didn't interact with the UI at all, and the sync completed without stalling. ... The error dbox is uninformative ... this is a work in progress?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f444g7yy23bq ... x.png?dl=0

My MM db now has 52,537 (?!) tracks (ie. +9712 tracks.... ?! ... I only had a maximum of 1,979 extra tracks in my GPM library ... and the MM5 status bar reported that it was adding just 199 tracks ... ? .. maybe the message meant tracks from 199 albums?)

If I look at MM5 location node, I see that the sync has created 2 new locations: "Youtube" and "Google Play Muisc"
  • In my NAS location I still have my original 42,825 tracks
  • In the Google Play Music location there are 44,248 tracks ... ie. +1,423 tracks
  • In the "YouTube" location I can see that it has exactly the number of tracks that my MM5 db has grown by, ie. 9,712 tracks ... some are tracks which are only in my GPM library, but most are my own tracks which I uploaded to GPM. ... These are now duplicated in my MM5 library.
If I view EntireLibrary>AllTracks, and sort to AlbumArtist|Album|Path|Track#, I can easily identify the duplicates.

There seems to be several causes:
  • Where the track title contains a parenthesis, eg. "The Fish (Schindleria Praematurus)" or "Honey in Your Hips [Alternate Studio Take]" ... this accounts for most of the duplicates ... tracks like these are duplicated, ie. my NAS copy and also my GPM copy
  • Where the track title has an apostrophe or a question mark or a period, ie. "Hard Travelin'", or "Who Are Parents?", or "Bess St."s
  • Where the GPM version of the album has a suffix such as "[Expanded]"
  • Where the GPM and MM5 report a track length difference exceeding 2.n seconds ... a latitude of 3.n seconds would get most ... a latitude of 5.n would get all of the ones that I have noticed so far
If you cleaned up the issue caused by the special characters, and increased the duration latitude a bit more, I could try again and see if there are any other causes ... at the mpoment there are too many to search through.

If you don't already, you should also strip off any leading blanks from the MM tags before trying for a comparison.

These were my 2nd and 3rd tests of GPM sync with 2114. ... The first time it stalled in what I have called phase 3 above ... that time I think that I may have triggered a problem by interacting with the MM5 GUI while the sync was running (I tried to open the EntireLibrary|AllTracks|Location node on the Media Tree .. The wheel kept spinning, progress on the Status bar stalled ... and the GUI was frozen. ... so maybe the GUI is in a delicate state during GPM syncing?

You tried to explain to me once before what the "Youtube" location was? I didn't understand. ... But I see that it is useful when using MM5 GPM sync facility. It is somewhere where you can see what the sync has added to the MM5 db .... and you can manually "remove" what is not wanted. ... there needs to something like that, because otherwise syncing could mess up a database couldn't it?

I still think that there should a log from a sync process ... ie. somewhere for:
* the cause of any login failure
* a message saying whether the sync completed normally
* msg from any exception encountered
* statistics: number of tracks with metadata at GM, Number tracks|playlists added to MM, number updated at MM

After playing MM5 GPM sync a little, I think that people may be concerned about using it, as it is at the moment.

If I sync from my MMA db, I know exactly what I am going to be syncing back to my MMW db.

A person's GPM library is a bit more an unknown thing. The Google UI for building, managing, and observing the library is just horrible. ... It is hard to know|remember just what is in there. There can be duplicates. There can be junk you added once, and forgot about.

Maybe I just want to sync just 1 new album, or just a few selected tracks.

Syncing the whole library back is a great bonus from MM5, as long as there is visibility to see what it has done ... and there is some way that it can be fully or partially undone ... a preview before adding tracks would be preferable ... ie. facility where I could cancel the import of all, or selected, tracks or albums.

At the moment there is poor visibility. ... There is no preview of what is going to be added. ... No facility to seek approval. ... The YouTube location is way that the additions can be detected and removed ... but are you going leave this as is? ... and before the fact preview would be better that after the fact damage repair.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, thanks for feedback.

You seem to be right, that it should be probably splitted to more issues, nevertheless:

re the The error dbox is uninformative: it should look like this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fy3j0rmbai3hd ... 3.png?dl=0 but it seems that in your case it wanted to sync the remote file (without path) to the remote location (copy to itself), this is prevented in the code so I am not sure how you got to the state, but will go through the code and will do more testing to cover situations like this.

re the matching process: Added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14934

re the YouTube node: Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14933
i.e. the GPM tracks shouldn't be shown under YT node, you can see which are remote by enabling the 'Source' column and sort by the column, see:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3qvgk6s37jd7 ... 4.png?dl=0
We should probably enable the column by default for the location nodes:
Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14935

Re scan results, good point, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14936
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:16 am Re scan results, good point, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14936
I don't think that a dbox is sufficient in this case.

ie. I do a sync ... it runs for around 15 minutes ... at the end it shows a temp dbox showing what it did to my db.

maybe I am concerned about what updates were done to the db ... maybe I want to check, and maybe reverse some of them
maybe I have a query, and want to send MM something to show what (should not have) happened
a sync to a GPM library can cause track duplication in MM ... ie. we don't have full control over what tags are in the tracks that we are syncing back ... even when they are our own tracks, which we are re-importing, especially for tracks which were uploaded to GPM using their Music Manager ... and although your code is smart when matching GPM metadata against the MM5 db, so that it can decide what is new, and needs to be imported, you won't be able to guarantee that you got it 100% correct ... eg. the album that you duplicated into my MM5 db because Google stored my upload with "[Enhanced]" as a suffix attached to the album name ... causing you to conclude that it was a new album .... or maybe I re-tagged my local tracks after I had uploaded them to Google, causing you not recognise them .... It is going to hard to spot this kind of corruption in a large MM5 library.

Once I have press OK to the dbox, all of that info is lost ... it is too late ... I have nothing to review ... nothing to send you.
Maybe I can get it back by rerunning, but that takes another 15 minutes ... and it doesn't include whatever junk added by the first run.

As I said before, a GPM library is a bit of an unknown thing to sync against.

I think that a sync.log file is a worthwhile addition ... at least a print button on the dbox that you are proposing

But really, a log file should contain more details than would be on a summary dbox ... ie. the log file should show error message content if there are web log in issues, or errors during sync ... it should show a list of tracks & playlists added (or at least the 1st 1,000 or something like that). .. please consider.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Good point, actually I found that the [Save log] button is no longer presented in MM5,
to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14941
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 am Good point, actually I found that the [Save log] button is no longer presented in MM5,
I have not used MM for syncing before. Where is the MM5, or MM4, Show Log button available? ... picture?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I was talking about scanning (via Add/Rescan...). In case of syncing there is the log shown only in case of an error. So as you suggested it would make sense to show it also once some track are imported / updated / skipped (or kind of confirmation dialog) with possibility to [x] Don't show this again.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 am I was talking about scanning (via Add/Rescan...). In case of syncing there is the log shown only in case of an error. So as you suggested it would make sense to show it also once some track are imported / updated / skipped (or kind of confirmation dialog) with possibility to [x] Don't show this again.
EDIT: Noted here: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 936#c50691