Some requests/bugs & questions

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Fram

Some requests/bugs & questions

Post by Fram »

Hi guys!
After i played a little more with MM5 i came back here with some request/little bugs and some questions :D
I have listed them below:

1. now that MM support AIFF format (Big THANKS once again for that) a ""Convert to AIFF" option, in addition to existing ones, will be very useful and would completely remove the converter app that i usually use in my day to day routine
2. a global keyboard shortcut (integrated in Hotkeys) in order to open the Proprieties window of the current playing track will be great (especially when you are in MiniPlayer mode)
3. at the bottom of the player maybe you can add (through Customization option) the Rating . Its great that that it appears in MiniPlayer Mode (in MM4 it didn't appear, so good job guys!!)
4. if i close and open MM5 again after a short period of time (2-3 seconds) it will take more time to open than usual.
5. difficulties to resize the Option Window (the mouse don't stick well to the borders of the window, especially when trying to resize the window using the corner of the window..hope that i made myself clear) & it doesn't save the exact resized window when i re-opened it. Also not all the Title Bar space is clickable in order to move the window freely (especially the bottom and the right portion)
6. at this moment it's possible to change the font of the whole app ? except editing skin\skin_base_add.less file (for each skin).
7. how can i save the current configuration of MM5 (hotkeys,skin, column selection and ordering)? i'm asking this because i don't want to repeat the whole configuration process again after updating MM5 to the new release.

Kudos!
MiPi

Re: Some requests/bugs & questions

Post by MiPi »

Hi,
to your points:

1) seems to be feasible for uncompressed AIFF, added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14928
2) to be discussed. Properties window already has hotkey, it is opened for selected track(s) in the focused tracklist.
3) displaying Rating in the Player control is already supported, but it is skin dependent and skins have to support it. Default skins do not include it, it would collide with progress messages under the seekbar. Will see, if we could add it somewhere without obstructing other things.
4) closing MM5 is not immediate, because it has to close all running tasks properly and save state. It is probably what is causing this delay.
5) we are dealing with this in https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14770
6) fonts are skin dependent, so every skin defines its fonts, typically in skin_base_add.less, but it can define it also elsewhere. So yes, you have to edit this, if you would like to change font in some skin.
7) configuration is saved to Portable folder, mostly to persistent.json and MediaMonkey.ini files. It should be enough to save these files.
Fram

Post by Fram »

Thanks for reply!!

at 2) I found useful a hotkey for current Proprieties window of the current playing track because i also play tracks outside MM and will be much faster to edit the track tags etc. if i have a fast way to open the proprieties window for the current playing track instead. (& i generally use MM in MiniPlayer mode).

I'm curious how can i play all my audio files through MM5? At this moment if i try to open a file from window explorer will automatically play it in MM4.

Have a nice day!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

2) we can prepare simple custom script, which adds this functionality.

File association is not possible with portable installation. MM5 Alpha is now portable only, but we plan to allow Beta version to be installed as non-portable too.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

2) Now Playing track properties action added as standard possible hotkey action. You can assign this hotkey in the next build.
Fram

Post by Fram »

GREAT! Thank you!

I spotted that AIFF files are perfect playable but the tags don't work at all. I tested the initial version that included AIFF support (MediaMonkey 5.0.0.2104 alpha) and it works perfectly. So i think it's an actual version problem. (maybe some changes form the past solved problem of slow loading AIFF files triggered this)

The search function works pretty good but after you delete the search string NO RESULTS will appear. Also if you press F5 in order to refresh the results nothing happens.
It will be great if you can also pin Folders instead of only playlists. I tried to move the "Pinned" to the top in order to have easy access to my favorites playlists/folders but an error occurred. I figured out that i can arrange it how in which order i want from Options -> Library - Media Tree.
Switching between open tabs is a little slower with a delay transition. It will also be great and fast to be able to assign some hotkeys for switching between tabs. Example: for Tab 1 press Shift +1, Tab 2 - Shift + 2 and so on. If the tab number 2 don't exist, for example, than auto-create it. Just for the first 5 tabs would be enough.

I always encounter this problem and I'm curious if it can be solved. I'm thinking if it's possible to auto-update a folder if, for example, you copy or move a file from it (without refreshing the view). If you want to search something in a big stack of files and you move or introduce something in it's a little difficult to refresh 2000-3000 files every time in order to do this.

Thanks again for all the solutions offered. Great support from you guys! :D
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Yes, be aware of serious bug, last build (2114) can cause file damage when tagging AIFF/FLAC/MP4. It is already fixed, but not released new version yet.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

To other things:
8. empty search string - I think it is ok, as it is waiting for any string and does not search for empty one
9. not working F5 when in search box - tracked as 14964
10. pin Folder - added as 14966
Related error during dragging "Pinned" node will be fixed.
11. tab hotkeys - to be discussed.
12. auto-update on folder - under investigation

Thanks for your feedback.
Fram

Post by Fram »

It's my pleasure! Happy to help improve MM5. I'm very impatient to see if you guys can implement auto-update on folder.

About the search string in the search bar..I've noticed that if you press Esc the search bar close and the original content appears again. I think it will be more intuitive if the "delete the whole string" will act the same as pressing Esc. In MM4 if i delete the string from the search bar the filter will be disabled and the original content will show up. It's not such big deal afterwards.
I spotted another thing about the search function. If i search for a specific string in a folder the results will also appear from other locations.

Thanks!
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

There are two searches.
a) global (upper right corner, activated by clicking magnifying glass icon or Ctrl+F), it searches always whole Library (or MusicBrainz DB, when Online mode selected). It opens new "search view" and displays this No results message for empty string, as it would be strange to display whole library and what to display in Online mode, all media from this online DB? :-)
b) contextual, activated by just starting writing search phrase. This searches always in the opened view (folder, album, albums, ...). It works as you expect - searches only in displayed folder, displays unfiltered data, when search string is empty. I think this is what you are looking for.

12) auto-update in the folder will be in the next release ;-)
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

re 10) it is fixed. But you will be able to pin Folders only from collection -> Location. "Pin" is designed to be used for quick access to library items, use it for folder, which is not in library, would complicate things and decrease speed. But you can achieve similar with folder monitoring switched on. I.e. when scanning folder to library, you can change "Schedule" to "Continuously" or "At startup and Continuously", and it will automatically add all new media files from the folder to library.
Fram

Post by Fram »

The search function works as you said. Thank you for clarification!!

2) Now Playing track properties action hotkeys works great. I've had an error though at some point when i tried to trigger the hotkey in miniplayer mode..don't know the actual cause of the error but here is the log id: C62E4F30...maybe it helps.
9) the F5 refresh shortcut works well now...but i wonder if you guys can make it work like in explorer, meaning that if i search for a string and press f5, the hotkey will only refresh the search results including the possible updates (deletions, track additions). Don't know for sure but i think this is also related with the 12) auto-update content of a folder - request. This feature and the auto-update will definitely be a game changer.
10) :( to bad that it can't be achieve through folders. Maybe a script will be develop in this direction.
11) hope to include the tab hotkeys & the ability to close a tab with the middle button of the mouse (like in MM4)
12) i've tested the auto-update feature and it seems that it hasn't been included yet. Just to be sure...it will also work with "include subfolders view" ?

NEW:
13) Sometimes when i open the Option Window it only appears the title bar.
Also the size and the position of the window isn't saved for the next time i re-open it. The same thing happens with the Auto-Tag/Organize windows (and maybe with other windows that i didn't test).
14) The Ctrl+R & Ctrl+Q hotkeys (auto-tag, auto-organize) don't work.
15) Include some Window hotkey shortcuts (like: "Window: Switch for MiniPlayer \ Maximize")
16) Visible delay when i try to open Proprieties/Options/Auto-Tag/Auto-Organize windows (~2 sec compared to ~1 sec MM4) ...maybe other windows behave the same .

I'm glad that MM5 is getting better and better after every release and I can't wait for the beta version to be able to use it all the time. Really appreciate your work!!
Fram

Post by Fram »

17) Tried to drag & drop a track from MM5 to Rekordbox/Mp3tag and it didn't work. (works is MM4)
18) Move a file by drag & drop into a folder from left Tree View list. (works is MM4)
19) If i try to drag & drop a track from explorer into another program and MM5 is opened in the background, the operations trigger a "down" infinite scroll in MM5 and the only measure is to exit the program.

I know that you improved a lot the loading speed of the folders..but i wonder if the future updates will come close to the speed of MM4 (i tested again 2500 files, and in MM4 it takes around 4 seconds as against 13 seconds in MM5)
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

What file formats do you have in the folder? For me, the speed is comparable (HDD cache affects the speed more than MM5 vs MM4), some formats are read even faster in MM5. Take into consideration, that debug version is always slower than release.
Fram

Post by Fram »

Good to know.
aiffs and mp3s. I've tested with the same files/same folder and MM4 is 3 times faster than MM5.

Thank you!