Issues with MM5 2115

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Issues with MM5 2115

Post by Barry4679 »

1. Home page

I don't get the point of the Home page's top row marked here https://www.dropbox.com/s/mx613y4nobmqs ... n.png?dl=0

It lists the contents of the Media Tree in an incomplete, non-scroll-able, horizontal list.
It is confusing, useless (non-scrolling), and is also ugly.

IMO a "Display Media Tree" button, which only appeared if the Media tree was hidden, would be better.

2. Media Sharing (UPnP/DLNA)

I tried browsing MM5 server via MMA. Album art is either missing, or shows the art from the wrong album. ... The tracks are duplicated, and the track's album name contains rubbish. https://www.dropbox.com/s/gia95l9mg59l4vt/mma.png?dl=0

3. MicroPlayer doesn't seem to be implemented.

[UPDATE]: User error, I hadn't enabled MM to access my Windows taskbar ... this error will be handled with a notification in the next release.

The MiniPlayer shows what could be the mini player? https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtqj8we19284h ... r.png?dl=0

The MicroPlayer option shows nothing. ... ie. MM5 stays in full screen mode, it doesn't toggle to anything else

4. Player Panel

I turned it off. I can't turn it back on again. ... I can toggle the View|Player menu item, but the panel does not come back.
I got this error while trying: E12FD5CB
I can see the Now Playing panel, but not the Player panel.
I am using Material Design (dark) skin.
? maybe this happened after I tried to look at the MicroPlayer?

5. Crash when double click an album

92D6E3EC when double clicking on an album when in EntireLibrary|Albums in Art view.
92D647D4 is reproducible at the moment.
I had scrolled beyond the 1st page full before scrobbling.

6. Art & details ... album art overwritting text, and is behind a screen of haze.

This bug reversion seems to happen every 2nd release. My layout mode is Advanced. If I go in and out of the Layout|Advanced menu, the art position corrects itself, but the art is still washed out. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yxkk0h4x6c5zb ... 9.png?dl=0

7. Connection to websource for the "Online" toggle on the MyLibrary|Online panel appears to be broken.

The Online tab now shows an empty track list.
Also the Purchase option lists Amazon stores, but does not include amazon.com.au ... Australia customer are now geolocked to the .au store because Amazon don't want to handle our version of the VAT at their other stores.
Last edited by Barry4679 on Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Re: Issues with MM5 2115

Post by PetrCBR »

re 3) probably you haven't enabled 'MediaMonkey Player' in the taskbar toolbars (right-click on taskbar and select Toolbars submenu) ? Also for a next build i've added notification for case user switch to micro player mode with taskbar dock disabled.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

PetrCBR wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am re 3) probably you haven't enabled 'MediaMonkey Player' in the taskbar toolbars (right-click on taskbar and select Toolbars submenu) ? Also for a next build i've added notification for case user switch to micro player mode with taskbar dock disabled.
Thanks, that was my problem.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

re 5) Thanks for reporting, added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14984
Could you please zip and share your MM.DB (e.g. PM me the link) ? Based on the logs there is assertion that two albums in your library have same persistent ID (which is unexpected), having your MM.DB would save my time to figure out how this can happen. I also added debug message to 2116 (to see which persistent ID it is)

EDIT: your MM.DB would probably also show why 2) is happening for you

EDIT2: I figured it out, the duplicates appear when accessing them via Artists > Artist1 > Album1
Added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14985

Thanks!
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Re 2) could you please test whether the issue is fixed in 2116 for you?
Re 5) could you submit one more log using 2116 so that I could see the particular album id?
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:45 am Re 2) could you please test whether the issue is fixed in 2116 for you?
Re 5) could you submit one more log using 2116 so that I could see the particular album id?
#2 I went back into MMA. ... UPnP: Albums: The albums showed incorrect art (either blank, or art from some random other album).
The tracks in the album were OK: correct art, not duplicated, and no rubbish in album title.

#5: Music>Album, Art view double click on an album --> dump Id: D3A5C9C0

See PM re your request for a copy of my db.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Thanks, will be fixed in 2117
Barry4679

Issues with MM5 2116

Post by Barry4679 »

Some other observations from release 2116.

1. So pleased to see that the custom fields now sort correctly for numeric data. Another big plus from MM5. Thanks.

2. Reproducible crash: C62E1290 ... double click an album to go to an album's detail panel ... then right click the album art .... crashes, and UI becomes unresponsive ... need to terminate via Windows Task manager

3. Track Properties dbox ... in MM4 the next|previous buttons retain the same field focus for each track that you navigate to ... MM5 does not do this, there is no active field for each new track that you navigate to via the next|previous buttons

4. Genre home screen (eg. Music>Genres) ... I can't see the value of 2nd layer of this hierarchy ... I have seen other reports of this issue ... you don't agree? here is my top level https://www.dropbox.com/s/zog0a6ulpyacj ... 1.png?dl=0

None of those buttons are immediately useful. I am still another click away from getting anywhere useful ... ie. The Classic Rock and the Folk_Rock and the Rock categories have been summarised to Rock ... so I have open Rock to see the sub-categories, and then click one of them before I can see albums

Does anyone have enough Genre categories where this becomes useful? IMO the display that you have behind a click on All Genres would be best for the top level, because we are one click closer to our target https://www.dropbox.com/s/zjzuiawhchc48 ... 2.png?dl=0

It is a greater issue where a top layer category has no sub-categories. I have 8 of these; Blues, R&B, Pop, Latin, Electronic, Country, Folk & World . eg Blues, so I click it on your top level, and you show me other screen where I have to click "Blues" again, before I see the albums. https://www.dropbox.com/s/fypontznp6bnm ... 3.png?dl=0

Something similar for ratings. ... Music>rating shows 12 icons. In my case nearly all of them are empty, but I don't know that they are empty until I click, and then I have to click again to return from an empty display. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkb2kmluwna3a ... 4.png?dl=0

Also the pencil icon that you overlay the Genre icons doesn't seem to add any value. ... It is obvious that this is not the bottom of the drill down

5. Sort sequence 2,5
I see this (2,5) often ... https://www.dropbox.com/s/ei5til51bdwzv ... q.png?dl=0 ... It doesn't tell me anything useful; OK, so Album is the 2nd sort col, and Title is the 5th ... but what are sort cols 1,3 & 4? .. I don't think that you should indicate any sort columns with a sort significance greater than the columns which are also on display (ie. in this case show nothing, because you the major sort column is not on display .. apparently?) .... I added lots of cols to the grid. It seems that Disc# & track# were 3&4, but I could not find out what #1 was.
teodore

Post by teodore »

@Barry, good report as usual, thanks.
Windows 10 i7 8 Go - topping d30 - sansui au-222
Lyrics : http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 0&p=448074
jiri

Post by jiri »

4. You can switch to MM4-like Genres view by the top-right View Selector (choose between Genre and Genre category views).

5. I see your point, but I'm not sure that making the numbers visible only when the 1st one is visible would make it better, seems to be rather inconsistent to me. Will try to think about alternatives, but so far can't find anything better. Btw, I guess that your #1 is Album Artist.

Thanks for the great feedback! We'll look into the other points...

Jiri
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

2) already fixed in 2117.

3) tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15004
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

jiri wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:26 am 4. You can switch to MM4-like Genres view by the top-right View Selector (choose between Genre and Genre category views).

5. I see your point, but I'm not sure that making the numbers visible only when the 1st one is visible would make it better, seems to be rather inconsistent to me. Will try to think about alternatives, but so far can't find anything better. Btw, I guess that your #1 is Album Artist.
5. Yes AlbumArtist, thanks. I had added that column looking for a #1, but I was looking for a 1, and missed the small up|down arrow thing.

<<<< I'm not sure that making the numbers visible only when the 1st one is visible would make it better, seems to be rather inconsistent to me.>>>>

I think that your consistency benchmark should be, does it make the display more informative? Telling me which are the 2nd and 5th sort columns, when the grid doesn't even contain the main and middle sort columns, doesn't tell me anything very useful IMO. ... It's like an invoice which just shows the cents owing, but doesn't mention the dollars. ... It's data, but its not information.

4. I would make Genre view, rather than Genre categories view, the default. Because IMO the 1st impression of the Categories view, feels sub-optimal and looks broken really, for the reasons in my other post.

And all the pencil overlays just make an otherwise good looking screen, look ugly. ... you already display the pencil up in the breadcrumb menu at the top ... and what else would they all be, other than clickable buttons? ... if I go down one layer further, into a genre, you show all the album art thumbs ... you don't soil each with a pencil, even though they are also clickable buttons.

I have the same comment about the folder overlay used in the folder sub-node.

BTW the I looked at the other sub-nodes to see if they had any filter, like the Genre Category thing.

The Composer sub-node is confusing. It's Grid view is good, and is as expected. But the rows in other views ae effectively randomly sequenced for the composer tag.
The List View column sorts are 1.Title|2.Artist|3.Album ... ie. doesn't sort by Composer, and Composer is not pushed into column 1 ... so in what way is it a "Composer" view?
Album&Tracks view is no better. It's col sort is AlbumArtist|Album|Disc#|Track#|SongTitle
jiri

Post by jiri »

4. We could change the default, even though I think that personal preferences will vary here.

The generic Genre icon is shown only when we don't have artwork (yet).

The Composer view shows all the items belonging to a particular composer, i.e. the items don't have to repeat this information and that's why there isn't a Composer column. Or did I misunderstand you?

I think that your consistency benchmark should be, does it make the display more informative? Telling me which are the 2nd and 5th sort columns, when the grid doesn't even contain the main and middle sort columns, doesn't tell me anything very useful IMO. ... It's like an invoice which just shows the cents owing, but doesn't mention the dollars. ... It's data, but its not information.
Well, it isn't complete information, but better than nothing, imho. I wonder, whether this could be improved by showing all the sort fields somewhere, like as a tooltip or as a part of the pop-up menu on headers right-click.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

jiri wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 am The generic Genre icon is shown only when we don't have artwork (yet).
No, not those:) See here, I meant #1, not #2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/0hlysrk0of3tl ... s.png?dl=0
jiri wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 am The Composer view shows all the items belonging to a particular composer, i.e. the items don't have to repeat this information and that's why there isn't a Composer column. Or did I misunderstand you?
I don't think we understand each other ... or maybe I am seeing a bug.
  • Entire>Library>Composers ... by default, I go into Grid view ... this is good, and is what I expected; an icon|container for each Composer, sorted alphabetically
  • but if I stay in the Composer sub-node, and change to List or Album&Tracks view, without selecting any specific Composer... I see all of my tracks, not sorted by Composer ... it feels like I have been pushed out of a composer view

jiri wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:40 am Well, it isn't complete information, but better than nothing, imho. I wonder, whether this could be improved by showing all the sort fields somewhere, like as a tooltip or as a part of the pop-up menu on headers right-click.
I don't think that it is better than nothing if it creates confusion.

When I first saw the lone subscript 2 & 5 alongside Album & Title columns I had no idea what they referred to. I thought that they must be some debug code.... And then I saw someone post how useful they were, so I knew that I was missing something. I asked here, and someone explained it to me. .... I have been using MM since 2009, and had never discovered the ctrl click feature to do sub-sorts :oops: . I had always used the Column Browser for that purpose.

I think that your idea of a tooltip is an excellent idea. ... right click menu not so good IMO
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Will add some sorting info in tooltip.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643