Sorting within a column

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

BMF

Sorting within a column

Post by BMF »

Hi there,

as in 2117 you introduce more custom fields i experiment with "opus". A common information in classical music (i know you know :wink: ). What i get when i sort a track list via opus is

op. 101
op. 106
op. 125
op. 13
op. 15
op. 27
op. 31
op. 53

instead of

op. 13
op. 15
op. 27
op. 31
op. 53
op. 101
op. 106
op. 125

And no no no ... i won't accept op. 013, 015, 027 .... ;-) ;-).

I think the problem will occur in a lot of situations and can happen in every column which include numbers. For instance when user has got a series of CDs like Deep Dance 1 to 31 or silimar.

I hope you plan to integrate a solution for this. Will you please?

regards

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
Barry4679

Re: Sorting within a column

Post by Barry4679 »

Hi,

have you noticed that MM5 has implemented a great change regarding the sorting of the custom columns

ie. they sort as 1,2,11 now, rather than 1,11,2 as MM4 did.

I think that you could get what you wanted if you tagged as 1 ops. and 11 ops. etc

Or, like in MM4, you can rename the custom field that you are using to Opus via Tools|Options|Library|Appearance, so maybe you could just tag with the numbers, and leave off the op, etc

I doubt that you will get the customisation exactly as you have asked for it. Some people may prefer to tag opus 1 rather than op. ... Also what about Mozart where it is K.nnn?, or Handel wehre in is HWV nnn?, or Haydn where it is Hob . xxx?, or Wagner where it is WWV nn? etc
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
BMF

Post by BMF »

Hi Barry,

actually i know that it may be a luxury problem ;-). But the goal is to make MM5 much better than MM4, isn't it?

I don't like to write "op." behind the number for it is not the common way to indicate the work number in classical music. May it "opus" or "BWV", "HWV" or "Tw" or or or ... the catalogue names are always in front of the actual number.

The endless variety of catalogue names that exist in the world of composers of classical music leads to the next point. I don't like to leave the "op." off, because i use the "opus" column also for the other catalogue names. It would be very uncomfortable to set a new (costum) column for each catalogue. There would be a lot of empty column entries in a track list view ;-). So i prefer to add the abbreviation of the individual catalogue within the (opus) column.

There might be a change to the better from MM4 to MM5 right now. In my eyes it is only half the way:-). Actually it is still alpha. So let me hope :)

greetings from Berlin

bmf
nothing but a bmf ....
--------------------------
Windows 10 Professional (64 Bit); MM 5 (lifetime licence);
iPod Classic, Sonos
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Will check our sorting routine.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643