2130 observations

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

2130 observations

Post by Barry4679 »

Auto-tag UI is potentially confusing: select a track ... shift|enter to enter Properties dbox .. click on the tag alongside Type in the Basic tab ... Auto-tag panel shows with some hi-lit corrections ... there is a Tag&Continue button and a Cancel button ... press Tag&Continue ... panel closes but tag corrections are not stored
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5kcvpeyyllny ... e.png?dl=0
So I go back to the Auto-tag panel ... I now notice that 4th column is a checkbox with no column heading ... so I have to click the checkbox AND press the button? ..... my suggestions: display an alert dbox if I press the Tag&Continue button without making any checkbox selections ... also a row selection checkbox should be in column 1 IMO, so that it is clear what it does

It all especially confusing when horizontal alignment gets all messed up as seems to happen sometimes when executing cold code (ie. using something the first time).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1wwxpcbvh6jsu ... p.png?dl=0

Auto-Tag navigation problem: select a track ... shift|enter to enter Properties dbox ... press Properties Next button to navigate to the next track ... click on the tag alongside Type in the Basic tab ... the Auto-tag panel opens for the original track, not the track that I have navigated to ... this also affects the other links on the Properties|Basic tab, ie. Auto-tag from Filename, and Auto-organise

Web location indicator on Properties|Basic tab ... it good to see that this has been added :) ... if I click the cloud icon, I see a micro-panel that looks as if I could play the track ... nothing happens if I click on it ... is broken? ... or if it is not offering to play the track, it probably should lose the play icon ... btw I would not have expected a "play" option here, if the micro-panel is to have a click action I think that the most useful would be for you to remove the GPM link for the selected track
https://www.dropbox.com/s/em2f4r2jhdkw7 ... w.png?dl=0

Choose Columns categories are not super useful ... EntireLibrary>Alltracks .. right click the column row ... categories are: Audio, Video, Custom, Properties, Play History, & Other .... there are many columns, so breaking them up into categories is potentially useful ... I first thought that the "properties" category may be things that affect both Audio & Video, but FrameRate doesn't see fit that theory ? ... I then thought that Properties may be less used tags, but then why is Added & FileType & Source in there, and why is tags like ISRC & InitialKey in the Audio category? ... and why are two tags in their own tiny Other category? ... it all seems to be random to me, and therefore is more confusing, that it is useful ... it would be good if I could create my own category of tags I used on a regular basis

Crash 19BA47D4: trying to set a filter

Collection icon choose: right click a media tree node ... Edit Collection icon tab ... could the default directory for the Choose option be the path where you hide the icons that you have available? ... ATM it defaults to track paths ... ie. inside my NAS where i store my tracks

Cannot delete the 1st filter criteria condition: press funnel ... press the + button to create some filter criteria ... press the "-" icon on the rhs to delete the top criteria condition ... it is hidden, but not deleted ... ie. press the funnel to close filtering, and then press again to re-enter ... the top condition has been restored.

Create a "Genre = xxx" filter condition for the first time is slow, and requires multiple clicks to bring up the select via checkbox panel
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
PetrCBR

Re: 2130 observations

Post by PetrCBR »

Edit collections dialog improvements are tracked in 15189.
Auto tools issues in track properties dialog are tracked in 15190.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:16 pm Web location indicator on Properties|Basic tab ... it good to see that this has been added :) ... if I click the cloud icon, I see a micro-panel that looks as if I could play the track ... nothing happens if I click on it ... is broken? ... or if it is not offering to play the track, it probably should lose the play icon ... btw I would not have expected a "play" option here, if the micro-panel is to have a click action I think that the most useful would be for you to remove the GPM link for the selected track
https://www.dropbox.com/s/em2f4r2jhdkw7 ... w.png?dl=0
It is not expected to play, it just list all the web/cloud locations where the track resides, and Google Play Music has the 'play' icon.
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Barry4679 wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:16 pm Choose Columns categories are not super useful ... EntireLibrary>Alltracks .. right click the column row ... categories are: Audio, Video, Custom, Properties, Play History, & Other .... there are many columns, so breaking them up into categories is potentially useful ... I first thought that the "properties" category may be things that affect both Audio & Video, but FrameRate doesn't see fit that theory ? ... I then thought that Properties may be less used tags, but then why is Added & FileType & Source in there, and why is tags like ISRC & InitialKey in the Audio category? ... and why are two tags in their own tiny Other category? ... it all seems to be random to me, and therefore is more confusing, that it is useful ... it would be good if I could create my own category of tags I used on a regular basis
Audio/Video categories are meant to be for editable metadata for audio/video. Properties category is for file, video and audio stream properties (i.e. mostly attributes defined/produced by encoder, like frame rate, not by editing metadata tags). Initial key is editable tag for initial key of the music, so it is in Audio category. ISRC is code for uniquely identifying sound recordings, editable by user, so again, fits to audio category. Copyright and encoder are not categorized yet, that is why they are in generic "Other" category, should be fixed later (as editable tags suitable for both audio and video, should be in both categories).
These categories could be redefined by user script now.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:44 am It is not expected to play, it just list all the web/cloud locations where the track resides, and Google Play Music has the 'play' icon.
When I first made the comment I thought that you were displaying the "click me" cursor over your GPM micro-window ... but I now see that it is just the normal pointing cursor. ... so it is not as bad as I 1st thought.

IMO a tool tip would be better than the micro-window.

Google doesn't identify itself by a simple play icon. In grayscale it is like this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mz6u7ax8vtkdq ... e.png?dl=0

When they iconise their identity, they display just the note part of their symbol, not the play icon, see here (copied from my GPM browser tab label)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/akc55nchseoet ... d.png?dl=0

IMO it would create less confusion of you used the note in a circle icon to identify GPM instead of the play symbol.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I've just updated the GPM icon for the next build.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MiPi wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:27 pm Audio/Video categories are meant to be for editable metadata for audio/video. Properties category is for file, video and audio stream properties (i.e. mostly attributes defined/produced by encoder, like frame rate, not by editing metadata tags). Initial key is editable tag for initial key of the music, so it is in Audio category. ISRC is code for uniquely identifying sound recordings, editable by user, so again, fits to audio category. Copyright and encoder are not categorized yet, that is why they are in generic "Other" category, should be fixed later (as editable tags suitable for both audio and video, should be in both categories).
These categories could be redefined by user script now.
Thanks for the explanation.

The problem as course is that MM covers so many use cases, that there are many potential columns; some of which are essential for one person, but are just mystery annoying clutter for other people.

Your organisation is more obvious now that you explain, but I did look at it for a while, as wasn't able to work it out on my own. ... So it is partial fail ... maybe? Perhaps it is clear to everybody else.

Is good that it could be defined by a user script ... but given the required skills, and also generating the background concern that it may screw up something else in MM.

I think it would be best if there was something like a clone of the Column Chooser ... where I could easily place the columns, which were relevant to me, into a "My Columns" custom category.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/anysteoy0cxep ... e.png?dl=0

At the moment I have to hunt through 60+ cols, and through several different categories, to find what I am looking for.
Same thing when I don't know its name, and I am wondering whether there is something that addresses what I am looking for ... and then i have do the same next time that I need it again.

Another question: Why is the Summary column in the Custom category?
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 pm Another question: Why is the Summary column in the Custom category?
It is field, where contents could be customized by user (in Options - Playback - Playback Rules - "Summary format...")

The rest will be discussed, I understand, but I am not sure, if this will be done soon. Maybe we create some demo script, it is very easy script, probably everyone with Notepad could define his/her own field categories then.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

MiPi wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 am It is field, where contents could be customized by user (in Options - Playback - Playback Rules - "Summary format...")
In Options|Player|PlaybackRules ??!

Why there? It has nothing to do with playback ... eg. I never ever use MM for playing, but I do use the Summary column.

Putting it in Options|Library|Appearance, along with the other appearance custom controls, was too obvious? ... sorry sarcasm, but self control was slow kicking in :)
jiri

Post by jiri »

I think that we did it this way because Summary is configurable per item type (Music, Video, ...), so its shown together with other fields that are configured this way. That said, you are right that it doesn't make much sense, some clean up of Options is needed.

Jiri