MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems [#15882]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Re: 2191<->2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am As for the metadata being synced: By traversing the code/device plugins I see that for iPods/iPhones/iPads the playcount, rating, lastplayed fields are synced, for the other devices the metadata are synced only when MMA is installed on the device and if that is the case then all metadata changed in MMA are synced back to MMW. As for selecting which meetadata to sync, added it as feature request (with 5.1 target): https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15882
Thanks for checking it out and submitting the request. I think that it would be worthwhile addition to 5.1 especially due to the due to the inconsistency.

Ludek wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am I have no idea why there was "no such table albums" SQL error before in your test. Probably the database has not been downloaded as whole via MTP (the file was incomplete or malformed), this used to be known issue with buggy Android's MTP protocol -- but hard to guess without seeing a debug log.
I was under some pressure today. ... In the next couple of days I will check whether I have the current version of MM4 and whether the sql issue is persistent, and if so, will install a debug version, and then send you the log.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Re: 2191<->2185 - MM5 sync phone has got a lot of problems

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:48 am As for the metadata being synced: By traversing the code/device plugins I see that for iPods/iPhones/iPads the playcount, rating, lastplayed fields are synced, for the other devices the metadata are synced only when MMA is installed on the device and if that is the case then all metadata changed in MMA are synced back to MMW. As for selecting which meetadata to sync, added it as feature request (with 5.1 target): https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15882
I upgraded MM4 from 1883 -> 1886

The sql error does not happen now.

MM4 device sync is better than MM5 is a couple of areas:
  • the MM4 Apply button is initially disabled ... it becomes enabled if I have made uncommitted changes ... and when I have applied them, it becomes disabled again ... so in MM4 the user aware whether or not they have uncommitted changes ... can MM5 be changed to do this also?
  • I have "delete other files & playlists" checked, and set to "unselected Library files" on both MM4 and MM5 .... when I uncheck a sync'd album in MM4, it also deletes the folders and the .thm file (ie. it auto-housekeeps) ... MM5 does not do this ... can it be changed to act like MM4?
  • as reported before, MM5 selection criteria list is confusing ... ie. I select an album ... apply ... close MM4, and when I come back the album is selected, but there are now also selections in the artist and albumartist nodes ... this behaviour makes it very difficult to see what you have selected .. and also difficult to tidy it up .... MM4 does not do this
There also seems to be a bug in MM5 ... Ie. I deleted every criteria checkbox I could see ... applied, and sync'd ... then closed MM5 ... and manually cleaned up my phone using Windows Explorer ... ie. I deleted all music folders and their contents .... I opened MM5, selected a couple of albums ... applied ... then sync'd .... it remembered albums which it once synced before I did all the housekeeping

Migration between MM4 and MM5 is messy ...
  • house keep MM4 and MM5, so that everybody thinks that nothing is sync'ed
  • manually housekeep the phone, so that all music content is manually deleted
  • open MM4 ... sync a couple of albums ... close MM4
  • open MM5 ... it does a scan of the phone ... it doesn't know that albums are synced ... why? ... MM4 & MM5 have different db's, but they are both looking at the same phone ... and these tracks are in both db's
  • sync a couple of different albums with MM5 ... close MM5
  • the phone now has albums sync'd by both MM4 and MM5
  • go back to MM4 ... it scans phone, but the sync list just includes the albums I sync'd with MM4
  • The housekeeping option says "Delete other files and playlist from Pixel2 XL" ... and it set to "Unselected Library Files", and the tooltip in MM4 says this .... but that is not what happens .... each environment (MM4 vs MM5) just lives in its own little world, and does not take over from where the other environment left off
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.