Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail [#15962][#15971][#15976]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

pbryanw

Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail [#15962][#15971][#15976]

Post by pbryanw »

Hi,

I've recently tried exporting one of my playlists (an AutoPlaylist) to an M3U/XSPF playlist. To do this, I opened the right-click menu for the selected playlist, and chose "Send to -> M3U/XSPF playlist". However, nothing happened when I did this. I got the same lack of response, when I selected "Send to -> E-Mail..." as well.

I'm just wondering if the ability to export playlists is coming in a later beta, or if there's another way I can do this in MM5? It would be great if we could have a file picker pop-up when you choose this option from the Send to menu, with the ability to select the playlist's destination.

Thanks, Paul
MiPi

Re: 2197 - Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail

Post by MiPi »

Hi, it should work, seems to be a bug, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15962
pbryanw

Re: 2197 - Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail

Post by pbryanw »

@MiPi - Thanks again for your help with this, and for opening a bug on this for me.

Can I also ask, if there's a way to import M3U playlists into MediaMonkey5 yet?
Peke

Re: Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail [#15962]

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please elaborate what you meant bu MM5 not importing M3U I tried Drag and Drop to now playing and they also show in imported playlists.

I have found one issue where M3Us are not shown in Folder Browser and added as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15971
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
pbryanw

Re: Missing ability to export playlist to M3U/XSPF file or send to E-Mail [#15962]

Post by pbryanw »

@Peke - Hi, I was looking for an import playlist item in the File menu, and I didn't know you could drag and drop playlists to import them.

I've now been able to import a playlist this way, which I exported from iTunes. The imported playlist, though, didn't show up in the Playlist Tree, and an imported playlist item wasn't created there.

However, I was able to select all songs in Now Playing, then copy them to a new playlist I'd just created.
(MM5 crashed when I first attempted this, with a database error).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArFVkgMSc1NUi5xD7NJndhfUmdwwXg

Would you consider an import playlist option in one of MM5's menus, or it could be added to the Playlist Tree's right-click menu? For me, it would feel more intuitive to have this option here.

Thanks, Paul.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Re Crash: Devs Noted.

Re import playlist: Importing of Playlists was always handled in Add/Remove Files and they should be added to imported Playlists if you Selected to add playlist on Scan at Tools -> Options -> Library.
Best regards,
Peke
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@Peke - Hi, thanks for the extra information re: importing playlists.

I've now added my desktop to the list of locations that MM scans for media. So, I can export any playlists I need to the desktop, and they'll get imported into MediaMonkey the next time I do a scan. And they now show up in my Playlists tree, under Imported playlists.

I just didn't know you could import playlists this way, and it's working perfectly for me now.

Thanks, Paul
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Was my pleasure, After they are imported you can simply just Drag and Drop Them to any other playlist as subplaylist or to Playlists root.

Happy Monkeying!
Best regards,
Peke
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

Many thanks!

I just have one more bug to report, which occurred when I imported an M3U playlist into MM5.0.0.2197. The playlist was exported from iTunes.

If the M3U playlist has a song whose file-path contains a letter with an accent or special character in it, MM5 won't import the song in question.

Here's a screenshot of some of the songs which weren't imported into MM5 (excuse the size of the image):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArFVkgMSc1NUi5xES0vK-PAtw6wxPw

Thanks again, Paul.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Re M3U: It is normal that it will not import as right format should be M3U8 which indicate UTF-8 encoded playlists and paths where M3U represent ASCII chartable.

You can't create playlists with Playcount criteria unless tracks ar ein LIbrary. Playcount/last played is MMW database internal field.
Best regards,
Peke
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@Peke - Thanks again for your explanation for this. I've now learnt another thing from this thread :)

I went back to iTunes, and this time exported the playlist I required as an M3U8 file.

However, when I scanned this into MM5 (through add/rescan files to the Library), any songs with accents & special characters in their names weren't imported into MediaMonkey again.

I'm just wondering if this is a problem with the playlist I exported from iTunes, or with MM5? I can send you the M3U8 playlist I exported from iTunes, if this would help?

Thanks once again, Paul
MiPi

Post by MiPi »

There is really some problem with such files in playlists in your scenario, tracked as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15976
pbryanw

Post by pbryanw »

@MiPi & Peke - Thanks again to both of you, for all your help on this thread. I look forward to the next beta of MM5.

(Update: Have just updated to 2201, and exporting playlists from MM5, as well as importing them from iTunes, are working perfectly for me now - thanks!!) :D