Media Tree request (open in new tab) [#16317][#15664]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Media Tree request (open in new tab) [#16317][#15664]

Post by Barry4679 »

I would like to be able to right click a Media Tree node, and select a (new) context menu item, which offers a Open In A New Tab option ... ie. like you can, on a url, in an Internet browser.

At the moment, right clicking on a Media Tree node triggers immediate navigation away from whatever is showing in the main tab of MM5.

Use Case:
  • I have set up a contextual filter in the current "main" tab, and want to open a new tab to cross-check something
  • or I am in GPM AllTracks ... you have built the memory-only list of tracks in my GPM library .. I want to reference something in my MM db
I know that I could use the "+" control on the top row, but that opens a duplicate of what is already open ... in the case of a GPM library with 50,000 tracks, there is a two and a half minutes delay, while you down load the track dictionary from GPM, and then populate the track list, which is time wasted.

Also browser UI's have taught us that context menus should have a "Open in a new tab" function.
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2219 - Media Tree request

Post by Ludek »

Just press Ctrl while clicking the media tree node and will open it in a new tab
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:00 pm Just press Ctrl while clicking the media tree node and will open it in a new tab
Thanks. I didn't know that.

Some questions|comments:
  • it is useful, but not so discoverable ... it doesn't do that in MM4 ... and there is no advice of this new option in the tooltip
  • I think the right click action could be more consistent ... in all of the places marked yellow, a right click does not invoke the click action, ie does not navigate, nor update the UI ... it just opens the right click menu ... but the red places do invoke the click action, ie. navigate
  • it this was "fixed", an "open in a new tab" menu option, for the Media tree nodes, may be more discoverable than the ctrl key option
  • why is it helpful that the OpenNew tab "+" control, in the top menu bar, opens a duplicated view? .... in an Internet browser context this would be an empty tab ... in MM5 it could just open the Home screen ... I agree that this is not such an important detail, except in the corner case, where I am in a web location, causing this new tab to take 2 and a half minutes to open!
  • could you consider enhancing the context menu for a tab ... ie. add these options as seen in Chrome browser
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I think that context menu is already quite overflowing, so adding another "Open in tab" context menu item would just make the situation worse.
Ctrl+click is a standard behaviour for opening links in the new tab (in internet browsers) -- so I believe that it is sufficient.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am I think that context menu is already quite overflowing, so adding another "Open in tab" context menu item would just make the situation worse.
Overflowing?
  • the Media Tree node has only two entries in its context menu
  • the sub-nodes do have have 9 entries ... but that is not so many ... items in the main panel have 23 entries, maybe I thought that I meant there?
Some of the existing 9 entries don't belong there IMO anyway
  • why is the Track Properties option there? That is just a waste of space at that level.
  • also why is AutoTag taking up one of the slots on sub-nodes like Music>Publisher? ... in the Media Tree? which should be all about UI navigation IMO ... ie. if it belongs in the Media Tree at all, it should logically be added to the lonely two entries at the top level for the Collection ... ie. there is no no special AutoTag operation for "Publishers"
  • most of these other 9 entries should be at the top of the collection, not at the sub-node level IMO

Ludek wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:16 am.
Ctrl+click is a standard behaviour for opening links in the new tab (in internet browsers) -- so I believe that it is sufficient.
Browsers also have a context menu for urls, with a "open in a new" option .... this is my "standard" way of opening in a new tab. I didn't know the ctrl key behaviour.

You could improve upon the above example from Chrome, by advertising the Ctrl key behaviour in the context menu option ... that would help discoverability

Barry4679 wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:23 pm
  • I think the right click action could be more consistent ... in all of the places marked yellow, a right click does not invoke the click action, ie does not navigate, nor update the UI ... it just opens the right click menu ... but the red places do invoke the click action, ie. navigate
You did not address this point in your response.

You used a browser as an example ... try right clicking one of the non-displayed tabs in your Chrome browser ... that right click doesn't navigate to open that tab ... it just opens the context menu for the tab ... maybe I was only wanting to close the tab.

I think the MM5 Media Tree right click behaviour is also "wrong" ... browser's don't have something like a Media Tree, but try Word ... a right click doesn't navigate to the item that I click

I think that it it would be better if MM5 was consistent with itself, and other s/w products .. ie. a right click on a control opens the control's context menu ... it doesn't trigger UI navigation.
Snofru

Post by Snofru »

Very good suggestions which I strongly support! Right click behaviour should be consistent with other typical software (and I don´t mean Photoshop!!) which includes ideally every action that can be done in the current situation.
MMW Version 5.1.0.2827 Portable
Samsung Galaxy S23+, S9 and Sony NW-A105 with MMA Beta 2.0.0.1156
rusty

Post by rusty »

dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Snofru wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:19 am Very good suggestions which I strongly support! Right click behaviour should be consistent with other typical software (and I don´t mean Photoshop!!) which includes ideally every action that can be done in the current situation.
I fully argee with this ..
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig