MM5 Keeps Generating Thumbnails For Video Files [#16295] [#16287]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

MM5 Keeps Generating Thumbnails For Video Files [#16295] [#16287]

Post by dypsis »

I don't have many video files.
The vast majority of my music is audio.

But each and every time I open MM5, it generates thumbnails for my video files.
Does this process have to be repeated every time? I haven't added any new video files in a very long time.
Barry4679

Re: MM5 Keeps Generating Thumbnails For Video Files

Post by Barry4679 »

In the meantime, have you tried to see if the options at Tools|Library|MetadataLookup also affect art download for video files?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Nothing is selected in: Tools > Options > Library > Metadata Lookup.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

How long is that process of generating thumbnails after startup?
Probably it fails to generate them and thus it re-tries the generation upon the next startup?
Ideally if you could generate debug log (item 4b here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewt ... 30&t=86643 ) so that we could see more.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Hi Ludek.

The process probably takes about a minute.

I have generated DebugView log and sent you a PM with the link.

As a side issue that I think may be related.
If I delete an audio track, then start MM, it doesn't remove the track it automatically. I have to remove it manually.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

dypsis wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:52 pm As a side issue that I think may be related.
If I delete an audio track, then start MM, it doesn't remove the track it automatically. I have to remove it manually.
If you make any modifications to files (delete, add ...) outside of MM it will never see it by itself. Deleting a file MM will only mark it as unusable once it hits it
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

dtsig wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:45 pm
dypsis wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:52 pm As a side issue that I think may be related.
If you make any modifications to files (delete, add ...) outside of MM it will never see it by itself. Deleting a file MM will only mark it as unusable once it hits it
Both MM4 and MM5 have the option in the Library settings to "Remove Unavailable Items".
Another player that I sometimes use such as MusicBee also has this feature, and it works every time with the same library.
MusicBee settings are at: Edit > Edit Preferences > Library > Music Library: On startup, check for updated or missing files.

AIMP also has this feature, and it also works with my library.
AIMP setting is found at Music Library > File Monitoring > Settings: Delete non-existing files from database.

The reason that I am comparing other players is not to say one is better than the other.
The reason I am doing it is to show that there is nothing wrong with my hard drive or permissions or file attributes.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi,
the log confirmed my speculation that MM is trying to repeatedly generate thumbs for video files for which it always fails to generate thumbs.
I replied your PM and asked for the concrete files to analyze.

Nevertheless I guess that such a files should be skipped in the next try, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16287

As for the files deleted outside of MediaMonkey. Yes, if you delete or move them outside of MediaMonkey then the database entries remains and you can find them in the Files to Edit > Deadlinks node (and you can delete them there once and forever). Or simply delete them directly using MediaMonkey to remove them from MM library too.
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 am As for the files deleted outside of MediaMonkey. Yes, if you delete or move them outside of MediaMonkey then the database entries remains and you can find them in the Files to Edit > Deadlinks node (and you can delete them there once and forever). Or simply delete them directly using MediaMonkey to remove them from MM library too.
So the option in the Library settings to "Remove Unavailable Items" doesn't work in MM5?
It works on my other computer with MM4. :-?
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

Ludek wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:13 am Hi,
the log confirmed my speculation that MM is trying to repeatedly generate thumbs for video files for which it always fails to generate thumbs.
I replied your PM and asked for the concrete files to analyze.

Nevertheless I guess that such a files should be skipped in the next try, added as: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16287
Hi Ludek.
I have sent you a PM with the link 2 troublesome videos. 👍
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

dypsis wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:02 pm So the option in the Library settings to "Remove Unavailable Items" doesn't work in MM5?
It works on my other computer with MM4. :-?
It used to work, but only for monitored folders, are you sure that the folder is monitored?
i.e. in menu Add/Rescan
Is the folder there and with the column "Schedule" set to "Continuously" or "At startup" ?

EDIT: I have just tested and the "Remove Unavailable Items" option works fine for me here in MM5 (tested on folder with Schedule = "Continuously")
dypsis

Post by dypsis »

I have on got it set to "At Startup".
But it should work also that way. As I said, it does on my other computer with MM4.

I can't remember why right now, but "Continuously" can cause issues.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, testing with "At startup" and you seem to be right that it does not work, will be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16295