Sync to device problems [#16356] [#16351]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Barry4679

Sync to device problems [#16356] [#16351]

Post by Barry4679 »

Some improvements ... thanks for addressing housekeeping task to delete empty folders.

Test setup:
  • use Windows Explorer to delete all music from /Music in phone
  • open MM5 (data was imported from MM4) ... delete device from D&S node
  • connect phone to computer, via USB
  • open MMA on phone, and press sync button on phone
  • ==> assume everything is empty ... correct?
Open D&S>Device AutoSync(->Devive) tab:
  • selections made at Albums, Artists, AlbumArtists, Composers, and Location levels
  • Apply
  • Run Sync from MMW5
No error from sync

Issue #1. The selections in the Location node were not sync'd to phone

[UPDATE} ... I did some further testing ... I can sync to phone from my PC disks, but not from my NAS ... I can sync from my NAS if I select via Album|Artist|Composer etc nodes, but not if I select by location

In the AutoSync(->Device) tab, I can open the Location node, and drill down into my NAS OK

Maybe is something to do with this; https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16180

BTW see here, Microsoft Windows Network opens empty ... if I install MM5, and not import from MM$, I have to paste the URI that points to my NAS, because MM5 can't discover it ... then all is OK; once I have shown MM5 that URI, everything works as expected ... except this sync to device problem.

And, whatever the problem, why no sync error log?

Issue #2. The AutoSync(->Device) tab's AlbumArtist node still contains empty sub-nodes ... it seems as if the AlbumArtist node is polluted with entries that are in the both the Artist and AlbumArtist indices, where that artist does have an Artist tag within the collection I have open, but has no AlbumArtist tag in that collection ... these empty sub-nodes confuse and frustrate the selection phase

Issue #3. The Artist node also contains the above artist (as expected) ... and this node is not empty; ie. it shows the composite (mixed artists album) album where the artist has a track (also expected) ... but if I select that album, I get the whole album sync'd, ie. not just the artist that I selected.

Issue #4 The Music icon, on the Summary tab, at the D&S>Device tab, is not accurate. .... It contains folders and tracks that are not on my phone ... ie. tracks that were on my phone, before I did above setup steps.

I did a sync with the "Delete Other Files" option set to "All Other Media Files" ... it cleared this problem ... but why wasn't record of these tracks cleared, when I deleted the device profile, and|or cleared when I did the initial sync using MMA, before I made any selections?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Ludek

Re: 2227 - Sync to device problems

Post by Ludek »

Issue #1. The selections in the Location node were not sync'd to phone

[UPDATE} ... I did some further testing ... I can sync to phone from my PC disks, but not from my NAS ... I can sync from my NAS if I select via Album|Artist|Composer etc nodes, but not if I select by location
Good catch Barry, that's the key to replicate the issue, to be fixed as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=16351

Issue#2:
I cannot replicate, when I select a content under "Album Artists" node then the content is selected just there and not under the "Artists" node and vice-versa.
Issue #3. The Artist node also contains the above artist (as expected)
This is not expected and actually I cannot replicate, could you please zip and share your MM5.DB for analyzing the issues 2&3 ?

Issue#4:
This was probably caused by the step "open MM5 (data was imported from MM4) ... delete device from D&S node", by deleting the device from D&S node you deleted the device profile and thus MM5 no longer knows that the content on the device is MediaMonkey library content.
Thus the "Unselected library files" option does not delete the files (as MM thinks that they are not the library files) and you needed to use "All Other Media Files" deletion choice.

EDIT: Also, if you deleted the content using Windows Explorer then MM5 might not realize it until you run MMA for the housekeeping, because when MMA is installed then MM5 reads the contents directly from the MMA's database (as it is much faster then traversing all the contents via MTP)
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 am Issue#2:
I cannot replicate, when I select a content under "Album Artists" node then the content is selected just there and not under the "Artists" node and vice-versa.
Issue #3. The Artist node also contains the above artist (as expected)
This is not expected and actually I cannot replicate, could you please zip and share your MM5.DB for analyzing the issues 2&3 ?
I tore down the test when I finished.
I just tried, and I can't replicate now either.

I will spend some time tomorrow to see if I can find a way to replicate ... there were quite a lot of moving parts in the test, so maybe I got confused.

Ludek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 am Issue#4:
This was probably caused by the step "open MM5 (data was imported from MM4) ... delete device from D&S node", by deleting the device from D&S node you deleted the device profile and thus MM5 no longer knows that the content on the device is MediaMonkey library content.
Thus the "Unselected library files" option does not delete the files (as MM thinks that they are not the library files) and you needed to use "All Other Media Files" deletion choice.

EDIT: Also, if you deleted the content using Windows Explorer then MM5 might not realize it until you run MMA for the housekeeping, because when MMA is installed then MM5 reads the contents directly from the MMA's database (as it is much faster then traversing all the contents via MTP)
OK, thanks for explanation.

Next time I will try clearing the MM db and phone, using Remove in the D&S>Device music icon in the Summary tab.
And will watch carefully what I see.tab
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

Ludek wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:08 am
Issue#2:
OK, but I described issue 2 as follows
Barry4679 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:49 am Issue #2. The AutoSync(->Device) tab's AlbumArtist node still contains empty sub-nodes ... it seems as if the AlbumArtist node is polluted with entries that are in the both the Artist and AlbumArtist indices, where that artist does have an Artist tag within the collection I have open, but has no AlbumArtist tag in that collection ... these empty sub-nodes confuse and frustrate the selection phase
I PM'd you a download link to my database.

If you open the the albumartist node in this collection, you will see that Dizzy Gillespie is an empty node, as described above.

I can't replicate issue #3 ATM, but I will try some more later.

[Update] There are many examples. All these also have empty nodes in the Album Artist index:
  • Albert King
  • Ali Farka Toure
  • Archie Shepp
  • Astrud Gilberto
All are albums that will be in my AlbumArtist index, but none of those tracks are in this specific collection. But they do have tracks with Artist tags in that specific Collection.

I tried again to reproduce issue #3, but are unable. I presume that was a testing error. Apologies.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

re Issue #2

I haven't seen your MM5.DB yet (no PM arrived).

But maybe I see what you mean, if you previosly checked one album of artist 'Dizzy Gillespie' under the 'Artists' node then upon next entering:
- 'Dizzy Gillespie' appears half-checked under Artists node (expected)
- upon expanding the 'Artists > Dizzy Gillespie' node the album is checked (expected)
- 'Album Artists > Dizzy Gillespie' appears unchecked (expected)
- upon expanding the 'Album Artists > Dizzy Gillespie' the album is checked (!!unexpected!!)

Is this what do you mean? This is what I can replicate and will fix for 2228.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

It looks like you did receive the PM ... I have sent it again.

No ... not what I meant.

The artist (Dizzy Gillespie etc) appears as an empty node in the AlbumArtist node.
It should not be there, because the collection has no tracks were the artist in a AlbumArtist tag.
It should only be in the Artist index ... because the collection does contain tracks which have the artist in the Artist tags.

I do have tracks where the artist is in AlbumArtist tags ... but those tracks are not in the current collection.

Look at the db, and my diagram ... you will see what i mean.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Sorry, but no PM with your DB link yet.
My inbox is 55% full (110 out of 200 messages stored) and the last PM from you is
2227 - dump file, submission service is down
Sent: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:56 am
by Barry4679

Please open eSupport ticket, add the DB link to the ticekt and refer the ticket id here.
Thanks!
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

don't know what happens
sent it again via PM
I can see it in my Outbox
My Sent box is 91% full ... will prune it when i get back
Or maybe I get confused between Preview and Send ... I doubt it, but maybe
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

OK, I've got the PM now, thx.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »