Complaints on MM functionality, design and user friendliness

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Balinsky

well

Post by Balinsky »

to be frank i only read about 2 thirds of this thread but im my observations people dont really use itunes because it is pretty or because it is user friendly (in my opinion it is not because it can't do what i want it to do)

The reason i have seen people use itunes is because it came with their ipods plain and simple. THey poped thier cd in and their world changed forever..... :wink: Or in extreme cases they didn't know anything else existed.

I dont just base this on this I have a friend that has a dell computer and guess what he uses.... MusicMatch.

Most people dont do research before they buy shit or chose a program
MediaMonkey Gold member
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which is why Real fought against Microsoft including Windows Media Player with Windows. Most users use whatever their system comes with.
Balinsky

Post by Balinsky »

I heard something about the european versoin of vista not including wmp, but i could be mistaken
MediaMonkey Gold member
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is a Windows XP N version which doesn't contain WMP. I believe that they sold about 0 copies, lol.
Sebastian78

Simplicit

Post by Sebastian78 »

I wrote that people like cd's because they are simple, just pop them in and play music.

That's why iTunes was so BRILLIANT when it was relesed. NO "nerdy" layout, no hassle with "geeky" shortcuts. Just a hassle free music player. This WILL change a bit in the next release is my guess. Apple has "educated" the people and the people want more functions. BUT they will implement a function where you can have the old "simple" layout and a second for "advanced" users......

MediaMonkey has a too steep learning curve for new users and many "drop off" and stop using it because of this.... (I almost did....)

And we are talking "a program that plays and keeps your music organized" here. NOT rocket science....

I wouldent want MM or Winamp running in my living room. It would "oust" me as the Nerd-I-am (AND I would have to explain how people change music everytime. With iTunes they figure it out very quickly because iTunes is so intuetive...)
sublime

Post by sublime »

Sebastian78 wrote: My suggestions for MM:

The "Two Button" feature : Chose between "Advanced User" view and "Normal User" view.

- This way, if I want to use the advanced features I can press the "AU" button and everything is revealed. BUT if I just want to listen to Deep Purple and have a nice view of the album art, I press "NU". MM would then remember which mode it was in when I last closed it.

PS: iTunes is the "defacto" standard in players and borrowing/lending design elements from it for the "NU" mode is not stealing. KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid

Integrate some kind of tabbed browsing of the library. The tree is sometimes just confusing if you have a large collection. If you want to browse your albums, click on the Album Tab and everyhing else (Location, Title, Artist, Genre...) is hidden. Today, if you go deep enough, the hirarchy tree takes up too muh space on the left making it difficult to find what you are looking for. Did you understand that one? If I open up Library - Location - HD:C - Artist, 80% of the window is "tree lines"

- Tabbed browsing would make it easier and faster to switch between the above AND KEEP the staring points/tabs on top of the window at all time. This way you wont need to scroll up and down to change "starting point"

Oh the pain, the agony. NO REAL (working) "Browse By Album Art" function. When I don't know what to listed to, the best thing is to flip thru my cd collection.

- Here you could in fact have a third useer button. "Album Art". Just the art, noting else. Easy, nothing to mess up the layout. It would be perfect for living room pc's....
- This function need to be implemented in both "AU" and "NU" interface.

SEARCH FUNCTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In iTunes, if you search for something, then erase the search. iTunes goes back to the starting point, listing up all songs. In MM the song window goes blank and you have to find the right tree again... HASSLE HASSLE....

The player need to be resizable. In certain locations, it's not possible to resize other windows like Now Playing because the player "locks" everything...

OH, sometimes when browsing for a song, I inadvertently change the artist of a song becaus I click in the wrong place. I fint this annoying....what if I dont spot it in time?

Steal/borrow/lend from Mozilla/Firefox/Thunderbird.

- The way you can add extra features into these is amazing. It allows you to install functions in a much easier way then "Scripts"
I have a feeling that you will be very interested in Songbird when it comes out of Beta.
Sebastian78

Songbird

Post by Sebastian78 »

You mean "The Bird That Is Farting Songbird?

Hehe, sorry, I'm tired today...
Blake

glah!

Post by Blake »

As if mediamonkey is too hard to use for a 'normal' music listener. its so simple its funny!

Trixmoto: bad language removed!

Blakeloth1: Sorry about that. I was a bit annoyed at guest
Last edited by Blake on Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bex

Post by Bex »

blakeloth1,
Please don't use such language here. "Guest" is entitled to express his thoughts about MM. You might disagree but there's no need to put it that way.
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts