Improve moving folders

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

roylayer

Improve moving folders

Post by roylayer » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:56 pm

In the Files window, Windows Explorer can list all of the subfolders that belong to a given folder along with the files that belong to that folder. This is very convenient in moving or copying folders. You can highlight a subfolder, scroll to the folder that you want to move or copy it to, and then click and drag.

MM can't do that. Trying to click and drag a folder from within the same tree structure that you're trying to move it to is very inconvenient. I would like an option to list all of the subfolders that belong to a given folder in the Songs pane.

Thanks!
Happy user of MediaMonkey Gold version 2.5.5.998
Computer: p4, 2.5 ghz, 3 gb ram, win xp

Lowlander

Move to function

Post by Lowlander » Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:57 am

Have you used the move to function in the right click menu?
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

roylayer

Post by roylayer » Mon Feb 09, 2004 2:28 pm

Yes, I have tried that too. It's a nice feature to have, but it's as tedious as the other methods, especially for heavily nested folder structures. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Lowlander

Now Playing node workaround

Post by Lowlander » Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:36 am

Another tip for the current MM is to put the files in now playing, open the now playing popup window and drag & drop the files from the Now Playing popup window to the correct node in the explorer tree.

roylayer

Post by roylayer » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:24 pm

That's an interesting idea! Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my particular problem. I need to move folders, not files. (This is because those folders can contain other support files like NFO files, HTML, etc. that I need to move along with the sound files.)

The way I've been dealing with this problem is moving the folders outside of MM and then running Retrieve Moved Tracks. Unfortunately, that function sometimes doesn't find a small number of the tracks that were moved, and I end up having to edit their paths in the database itself. :-(

Thanks for trying though!

Peke

Post by Peke » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:41 pm

Well, the only way I can think of is that MM files you move within MM and those other files move manualy after that :((
Best regards,
Pavle
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to add SCREENSHOTS to forum

roylayer

Post by roylayer » Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:56 pm

Thanks. I tried that approach today, actually. GMTA! I've been checking folders manually to look for any leftovers.

Dealing with folders that contain both music files that MM recognizes, music files that MM doesn't recognize (e.g. RealAudio), and other support files has turned out to be the thing I'm struggling most with in MM. Aside from moving files, deleting folders is even more hazardous in MM: I look at a folder. MM displays no files. Cool! I decide to delete it. BAD IDEA! What happens if there are other files in that folder that MM doesn't recognize? I've just deleted them too!

This could all be solved if there were an option for My Computer to work like Windows Explorer does - showing all files, folders on the right hand side, and true tag attributes (not ones that it infers for you).

Even though I'm a little frustrated by the way the My Computer node works, I think I've created work-around procedures to handle all of these potential pitfalls. I just have to be careful that I follow them exactly, otherwise I'll end up with problems. The end result will be worth it though!

Lowlander

There is a plugin I think

Post by Lowlander » Tue Feb 10, 2004 10:34 pm

I believe there is a post on the forum by jiri or rusty on how to have MM recognize real player files. You might want to search around.