MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

mtgranny

Re: MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Post by mtgranny » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:28 am

I am one of the original posters to this topic. When this topic opened, it was to discuss if MM could be built for installation on MAC OS X and what we would be willing to pay towards development and purchase. This was a "wishing" topic for MM on MAC OS, not a place to pounce on someone's opinion as to what MAC owners should use- MM on Virtual Windows or iTunes add-ons. It was not about MAC users being satisfied with iTunes, in fact we were not!

I see the the voting poll for MM on MAC OS is still going strong. Over the past year I found that Roboform went MAC OS native, GoodSync went MAC OS native, Essentials (my embroidery editing software) went MAC OS native. The only Windows based software I still am checking back for now is MM.
I dearly miss the MM catalogue functions. I miss the ability to organize my network stored sound files in MM from any one of my 4 MACS. Of course, when this topic began, I only had one MAC, when I made the "switch to APPLE", which is how the name of this topic came about. At first I was a dual user but when my last XP PC died, that was it. I have switched.

I regret that the MM developers haven't gotten far in creating a MAC OS software version. MM is a great catalogue, tag and ratings program for managing sound files in multiple networked folders. I have tried the iTunes Manager software and I am now exploring beaTunes2 software to view and edit my networked music architecture on my MACs. It is not easy to merge and edit the files for playlists in iTunes using the limited tags offered my that program. The tags offered in beaTunes2 cannot be seen in the iTunes program so I am constantly moving between the 2 programs. beaTunes does not offer the sync feature that MM for Windows offered and it does not sync well with the multiple libraries in iTunes.

If MM isn't able to produce a MAC OS version then perhaps some other company will eventually do so. There are enough of us willing to pay for a MAC OS program that offers the features of MM for Windows, we are just waiting. iTunes will not change to meet our needs. iTunes has become a virtual store, a social network for music lovers and most recently a music-storage cloud. iTunes will stream my files so I can listen or sync to an Apple device. iTunes is not a program that lets me readily explore and edit the information embedded in the sound file of my audio books, broadcasts, podcasts, networked sound files, etc. so that I can use the information to build multiple playlists for household members with varying tastes using tagged information of mood, ambiance, seasons, age appropriateness, instrument classification, foreign language vocals, etc.

So yes, I will continue to work by hand on management and cataloging of my architectural network sounds . One day I will pay a fair market price to MM or whatever company comes forward with MAC OS music management software that emulates what I had in MM Gold for Windows. Perhaps it is nostalgia or product loyalty but I hope that it will be MM.
Sandi in MT (mtgranny)
mtgranny

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:46 am

We are wasting our time.
They told me (between the lines) long time ago that they didn't even think of making a MAC version.
We should look for an alternative

vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:33 am

Actually, one of the devs said they've started incorporating code to allow for an easier cross platform compatibility in the alphas of MM4. :wink:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
AMD Phenom II x4 940 (3GHz)
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200
Library on two disks : Western Digital Caviar 1.5TB - WDC 640GB

horiveira

Post by horiveira » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm hoping that's true, but I gotta see it to believe it.

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 pm

If you follow the bug tracker a bit,
You'll see several clues indicating that the developers are trying to go cross-platform.

They are also good reasons why there is no support for other operating system at the moment. And probably not in the immediate future.

For example:
-TIE is Windows-only
-ThemeEditor is Windows-Only

So there are still hopes! ;) Just not for the immediate future.

Also Rusty has posted this not long ago:
rusty wrote:To clarify, no it's not cross platform, and no the effort hasn't been abandoned--various components of MM have gradually been prepared for cross-platform implementation, so that we'll be able to create a cross-platform version. Unfortunately, I'm not yet in a position to give you a timeline :wink:

-Rusty
See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... rm#p288943
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:44 pm

What's TIE?
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200

Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:55 pm

It's the component they use for the internet browser.
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)

fdring

Post by fdring » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 am

please please please!!
I need MediaMonkey on my MAC....

vpsaxman

Post by vpsaxman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:26 am

Dreadlau wrote:It's the component they use for the internet browser.
Oh, okay. Thanks!
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
ASRock A780
4GB DDR2 333
ATI Radeon HD 3200

Spax

Post by Spax » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:23 am

Hire someone on a site like getafreelancer to do it for us?

dnlusa

Post by dnlusa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:20 pm

I am going to migrate to Apple in the next weeks. Honestly the only thing stopping me is MM. I can't work with iTunes, is just badly thought. I would pay full GOLD license again to have MM on Apple.

Dymium

Post by Dymium » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Worst case scenario you can use Parallels or VMware Fusion with Windows in cohesive mode on a Mac.

Works for me, I also needed a few Windows programs when Switching to Mac, and I found the cohesive mode of Parallels very pleasing.
Windows programs run as they are native on the Mac (ok, you have to run windows in the background, but you wont see it ;) ).

Just make sure you have enough memory for the Windows baseload.

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:30 pm

I would agree that virtual windows on Macs is a worst case scenario. Best to hang onto your last dying PC and dedicate it to MM and whatever else Windows program you can't yet part with. Neither platform is hood or bad, just different. I love the MAC Front Row program that integrates all AV from iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, etc. It is seamless on the MAC side of things, not the VW. iTunes is not anything like MM but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a place in managing MAC entertainment files. Good luck on your switch. Nice to have another voice in our wait for MM on a MAC.
mtgranny

dnlusa

Post by dnlusa » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 am

Thanks everybody for the comments!

Is there anyway to migrate my current database key data (ratings, play count, last played) to any other player on the Mac environment?

Dnl

Blah.

Post by Blah. » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:53 am

I know I'm a bit out of sync since I have not read all 23 pages of this on going battle to get MM to release a Mac version.
Is there any one of you that have any experiences using "SongBird" I can see that there is a lot of features embedded in the program. And it it possible to make plug-ins and scripting for it as well.
Sorry if this post does not help anyone.