MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like to see MediaMonkey for other OS than Windows

You may select 1 option

View results

wutzin

Re: MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Post by wutzin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:23 pm

Just FYI, you can now download a MM version prepackaged for Mac.
It is the Windows version, wrapped in Wine (a windows emulator). Just tried it out and it works perfectly under Snow Leopard and Lion.
To install scripts and add-ons, you have to go to Tools-Extensions-Add (it is not possible to drag them to MM or to double-click them).

MM for Mac can be downloaded here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/addons/brows ... diamonkey/

Pretty sweet!

markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:09 am

Note that is an old version of MM. I ought to refresh it with the MM4 release 4.0.0.1459 ...
Windows 7,8 / Ubuntu 13.10 / Mavericks 10.9 / iOS 7.1 / iTunes 11.1
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:40 am

Can to describe how it functions compared to how it functioned in Win? Is it stable? Does it allow the same type if tags? Can it transfer music to an iPod via the MAC interface? I'm going to follow the more recent link and see what I can find. Thanks!
mtgranny

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:07 am

Did a bit of research and learned that open source Wine, Wineskin and Winebottle are programs that take a Windows .exe file and repackage it so that it opens and operates in a Mac environment. Not all programs can be repackaged. Some won't be stable. Not all features are always able to function.
I would be interested in how stable and functioning MM is within Wine. It is pointless to just edit tags and play on my Mac. I need to be able to transfer my selected MM playlists onto my iPod when connected via USB to my Mac. If that can't happen then I may go the iCloud route. I already have 6 iTunes libraries with music previously organized in MM (4 years ago!) For $25 a year I can selectively stream or sync my collection plus keep it backed up offsite.
Has anyone been using MM within Wine to sync playlists? Or is it just to listen to music?
mtgranny

markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:29 am

mtgranny wrote:Did a bit of research and learned that open source Wine, Wineskin and Winebottle are programs that take a Windows .exe file and repackage it so that it opens and operates in a Mac environment. Not all programs can be repackaged. Some won't be stable. Not all features are always able to function.
I would be interested in how stable and functioning MM is within Wine. It is pointless to just edit tags and play on my Mac. I need to be able to transfer my selected MM playlists onto my iPod when connected via USB to my Mac. If that can't happen then I may go the iCloud route. I already have 6 iTunes libraries with music previously organized in MM (4 years ago!) For $25 a year I can selectively stream or sync my collection plus keep it backed up offsite.
Has anyone been using MM within Wine to sync playlists? Or is it just to listen to music?
I suggest that you look at some of the comment at the bottom of this page http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 7&start=60
iTunes plugin (d_itunes & itunes4) http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713
Running MM under Mac OS X with Wine http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =4&t=58507

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:35 am

Thanks for the link. Looks like some troubleshooting advice on getting tracks to play. Will continue to monitor MM for a Mac OS version and wait for a program that organizes and transfers to an iPod better than iTunes. Apple is leaving USB transfer to go to cloud or wireless transfer. Once they drop the USB requirement I am sure we will see some movement into Mac OS programs that categorize and organize extensive libraries, something iTunes was never designed to do.
mtgranny

wutzin

Post by wutzin » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:26 pm

mtgranny wrote:Thanks for the link. Looks like some troubleshooting advice on getting tracks to play. Will continue to monitor MM for a Mac OS version and wait for a program that organizes and transfers to an iPod better than iTunes. Apple is leaving USB transfer to go to cloud or wireless transfer. Once they drop the USB requirement I am sure we will see some movement into Mac OS programs that categorize and organize extensive libraries, something iTunes was never designed to do.
Well, you know you can always run MM3 or MM4 perfectly in a virtual machine (I use Parallels Desktop, but you can also use VMware or VirtualBox as free options.
That way, you get full USB functionality. Also, I think that if you install itunes within your Windows virtual machine, you can use markstuartwalkers itunes4_dll http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=45713 to sync your entire MM library info over to Itunes (playlists, ratings, etc). That way you should be able to handle all your ipod transfers etc.
And if you want to use your MM playlists for the occasional native itunes on mac, you simply need to run a search-replace script in order to convert your Win-Itunes library to Mac Itunes paths. Takes probably a bit of time to set it up, but then you should be able to manage your library within MM in the virtual machine, and every once in a while sync all your stuff over to itunes Win and itunes Mac for easy syncing with other devices. Haven't tried this myself, but if I have some time to kill, I'll give it a shot.

But here's what I can say from experience: if you want to get serious about managing your music library on your mac, install Win XP on a virtual machine and run Mediamonkey in it. And if you're short on memory, just shell out the $34 to get your system up to 4GB - best money spent ever.
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed link

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks. Virtual has been discussed often, not my cup of tea as I have other workarounds in place.
mtgranny

Saudi Alex

Post by Saudi Alex » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:56 am

I was too a user of MM on Windows before I switched to Mac. It is really frustrating to use iTunes for organize MP3. So I can only support each and every one here in this forum who would love to see MM for Mac.
Please give this version a high priority, since more and more users are switching to Mac I believe it should be interesting for you as well.

Keeping fingers crossed!

PhilBo

Post by PhilBo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:42 am

I tried the prepacked MM4-for-Mac-Version on Lion, it works, but it looses a lot of usability feeling from the windows version (hard to say that).

so I join the long line of people whining about wanting MM for Mac. I would easily pay 50$ for a version like that, honestly. i loved the monkey on windows, I managed all my 150 GB collection on external hd, perfectly organized. Now it's hard to access manually by folder. so sad.

Please make MM for Mac! The Community will pay you back!

PhilBo

markstuartwalker

Post by markstuartwalker » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:57 am

I'm wondering how a Mac version will work with scripts. Maybe the core MM could be ported easily enough but how could they run all those vbscripts?

In Windows they rely on the operating system to provide that service. How will that work under OS X?

mtgranny

Post by mtgranny » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:57 am

When I joined this thread in 2008 I never imagined I would return to PCs. MM has lost the opportunity to grab $$ from me for a Mac version but they retained my loyalty. Apple business practices have left a sour taste in my mouth by withdrawing services and support- they are now as helpful as PC tech support! The advent of Lion mimics the iPad too much for my taste. I want a computer I can tailor and tweak with settings and software that suit my lifestyle. Not one with preferences removed or buried so deep that I can't find them. Lion OS is a computer that acts like a client iPad. The mainframe seems to be Apple and the connection is their iCloud. Sorry, but I want my own control over what syncs where.
So I will give the MM team credit for waiting this one out. My PC purchase this year will allow me to use MM again on my iPods. Ironically, I haven't synced them with iTunes in years. Will be nice to enjoy my MM library again. Macs used to be the ultimate for creativity. The latest Mac 10.7 OS is forcing me to buy compatible version software and lose the stability of my home network connectivity. I am so glad I held onto my MM license and the Maxtor with all my PC file structures. I just downgraded my Macs to SL and will freshen the mix up with a Windows PC laptop soon.
MM, here I come!
Last edited by mtgranny on Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtgranny

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:04 am

Another vote here.

MM kept me from going to mac for years, but after my last windows hardware failure I gave in, thinking I'd be able to find an alternative. No luck there.
Is there a good reason not to make a version for mac??

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 am

A non-Windows version requires a significant rewrite of the code (ie loads of time spend programming without any new feature to show for), but this process has been started with MediaMonkey 4.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

tigertales

Post by tigertales » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:27 pm

Lowlander wrote:A non-Windows version requires a significant rewrite of the code (ie loads of time spend programming without any new feature to show for), but this process has been started with MediaMonkey 4.
Does that mean its in the works?? (This could effect whether I switch back, or not. Seriously. Nothing on mac comes close).