Toolbar support like in Firefox

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Is this feature-outline important to include in MM?

You may select 1 option

View results

Morten

Toolbar support like in Firefox

Post by Morten »

Feature-outline
  • Lock/unlock toolbars
  • Add/remove objects
  • Group/ungroup objects
  • Align to left/right
  • Add/remove seperators
  • Determine size of icons
  • Save/open configurations
  • User can change the layout, but always revert back to the pre-defined layout which a skinner can make
I will use this thread to show how one can outline the features.

What type of customizability do you want in terms of locking & placing objects / toolbars in MediaMonkey.
Last edited by Morten on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Best regards,
Morten
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

#1 has to be: Lock the toolbars in their current position... its faaaaarrrr too easy to accidently grab/move a toolbar while simply cliking an icon on it.

as for customization of the toolbar itself..

I would prefer a standard microsoft 'customize toolbar' control exactly like internet explorer 6 and (older) office products.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

locking i agree with.

changing the size of the icons i agree with .

making preset sizes when making the skin i agree with.

the rest ? not needed for what i see, it just might be too much stuff in the code and mess up the rest of the program.

and i know it would bloat mediamonkey.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Teknojnky wrote:#1 has to be: Lock the toolbars in their current position... its faaaaarrrr too easy to accidently grab/move a toolbar while simply cliking an icon on it.
So true
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

rovingcowboy wrote:and i know it would bloat mediamonkey.

8)
It's not bloat... it's muscle..
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

Teknojnky wrote:#1 has to be: Lock the toolbars in their current position... its faaaaarrrr too easy to accidently grab/move a toolbar while simply cliking an icon on it.

as for customization of the toolbar itself..

I would prefer a standard microsoft 'customize toolbar' control exactly like internet explorer 6 and (older) office products.

I'll second this wish.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

I just checked out IE's method and I'm pretty happy with that.. clean and simply.
I was going to question why IE and not Firefox's method.. but they both support adding / removing and reordering... (though IE's is a little more structured)
... so it's a good suggestion.

upon implementation of this, To expand the user base, it's important to include a a default toolbar layout that is far more minimal than currently.
- A new user shouldn't be bombarded with an icon for everything possible, most of the actions are available in the dropdowns and it scares away new users that aren't initially interested in complexity.
(as well as from having a cluttered looking interface).

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

DaledeSilva wrote:I just checked out IE's method and I'm pretty happy with that.. clean and simply.
I was going to question why IE and not Firefox's method.. but they both support adding / removing and reordering... (though IE's is a little more structured)
... so it's a good suggestion.
Well not only that, but my preference is because it a 'standard' windows control (possibly one of the newer common controls). It is something that windows users are familar with and the functionality is readily apparent. I don't care much for the firefox toolbar customizer myself.
upon implementation of this, To expand the user base, it's important to include a a default toolbar layout that is far more minimal than currently.
- A new user shouldn't be bombarded with an icon for everything possible, most of the actions are available in the dropdowns and it scares away new users that aren't initially interested in complexity.
(as well as from having a cluttered looking interface).

Dale.
Agreed here.. ideally the existing defined toolbars remain as is, but any button/menu should be removable and assignable to any toolbar.

Along with the ability to create custom user toolbars and arrange any standard icon/menu on to it as they please.

Like the office 2000 or so applications, you could pretty much customize the toolbars and menu's any way you wanted. This is the flexibility and power that MM should have.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

I would love to customize the icons on my toolbars. There are quite a few I just don't need. Oh, I'll just add that while I'm a Firefox user, I also prefer IE's/Windows' method for customization.

As for locking, I'd like to see everything lockable to prevent accidental resizing, not just toolbars. Windows, columns, the works.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

spacefish wrote:I would love to customize the icons on my toolbars. There are quite a few I just don't need. Oh, I'll just add that while I'm a Firefox user, I also prefer IE's/Windows' method for customization.

As for locking, I'd like to see everything lockable to prevent accidental resizing, not just toolbars. Windows, columns, the works.
spacefish. you can change the icons on there now.

get the icons you want made. or find them from some one else that has them. and make sure they are all the same name as the ones in the icon pack you can download at monkey's download pages.
if the pack is for mm 2. then they might not all work in mm 3 but most will. then you just put the icons in the mm 3's plugin folder, then in the device icon folder. mm 3 will use the icons from in there.

atleast mine is.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

rovingcowboy wrote:you can change the icons on there now.
But you can't pick and choose which ones to display.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
Mex

Configurable tool bars

Post by Mex »

Yes! Add, subtract, separators-- all should be easy to customize. If I could put a count-down clock on the Now Playing bar, I could omit that space-wasting player bar at the bottom of my unskinned interface. (The player seems to have only a single unique function-- the timer clock.)
Any serious file-handling tool should have configurable tool bars, I think-- although I'd prefer to use simpler methods than Firefox offers. Maybe a right-click menu?
cmx

Post by cmx »

With MM, this user interface customization functionality would seem a no brainer. I would expect it, sorta surprised it has not been part of the MM3 development process.

The custom skinning stuff is great...for those who are inclined and interested in dealing with it. The overwhelming majority are not.

I would simply like the basic functionality present in any of the major Windows software applications. This should be basic.

Because of the way we inherently use MM the features Morten outlined would be perfect. Can't really think of anything else essential.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

This will be indeed a great enhancement. There are a few icons I just don't need. And others that I use all the time.
MyCsPiTTa

Post by MyCsPiTTa »

I definately think you should be able to drag playlists, nodes etc onto the tool bar to make shortcuts to regularly used things.