AAC+ (HE-AAC) Internet Radio Stations Support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

cuacue

AAC+ (HE-AAC) Internet Radio Stations Support

Post by cuacue »

I have searched the forums for an answer to this matter. As of now it seems Mediamonkey is not able to stream aac+ internet radio stations. It contacts the station, retrieves the name and that's it!.

If anybody is or has been able please tell how, otherwise it would be a nice feature in future MM releases.

If anybody likes to do a test please open the following url and let me know if you are able to listen to it. It is a 32kbps AAC+ Station
http://cdn-1-mp3.ssmn.net:8090/listen.pls

Thanks!
Cuacue
EWJ2l

Post by EWJ2l »

I have been having the same problem and have yet to stumble across and answer. Files play fine off my computer but I haven't yet gotten an internet radio stream to play with MM, while in itunes they stream fine.
cuacue

In fact...

Post by cuacue »

iTunes does play aac streams, but not AAC+

I was hoping to listen to aac+ streams in iTunes to solve this matter but iTunes (the creator of AAC+) does not support it!.

Some iTunes users have been waiting for it to support aac+, they have even express their wish to recode their library to aac+ since it takes even less space.

anyway... i just hope MM supports it, don't care about iTunes, don't like it.
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Well iTunes isn't the creator of AAC+. It's even not the creator of AAC but just a supporter of that format.

Btw AAC+ (HE-AAC) is only better than the normal AAC at bitrates <96 Kbps (at max).
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
Skins in use: ZuneSkin SP / Eclipse SP
AutoRateAccurate 3.0.0 (New) - Rates all your songs in less than 5 seconds!
About me: icoaching - internet | marketing | design
cuacue

Sorry about that

Post by cuacue »

You're right man.

Thanks for the correction.

Here's an apple link about AAC to read about it.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/technologies/aac/

Couldn't find one about AAC+ from them.

I like my files in higher bitrates than 96 but just for streaming i think AAC+ can offer a lot.

What do you think?
cuacue

Here is some AAC+ info link

Post by cuacue »

From Wikipedia for all users to read

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HE-AAC_v2
Big_Berny

Post by Big_Berny »

Sure for streaming it should be useful. But I didn't see a lot HE-AAC-Streams yet.
Scripts in use: Genre Finder / Last.fm DJ / Magic Nodes / AutoRateAccurate / Last.FM Node
pushpull

stream needs

Post by pushpull »

The wiki does say that it is supported by winamp so, if you select winamp as the player in the options, it would seem that it should then play. I don't have winamp on this computer so I cannot test this out.

Another thing that concerns me about netradio is the use of flash players. As far as I know there is no way to play these streams via MM and it seems the use of these players is only growing. I would rather maintain control of the player on my computer where there is the possibility to modify and control its actions.

pushpull
nohitter151

Re: stream needs

Post by nohitter151 »

pushpull wrote:The wiki does say that it is supported by winamp so, if you select winamp as the player in the options, it would seem that it should then play. I don't have winamp on this computer so I cannot test this out.

Another thing that concerns me about netradio is the use of flash players. As far as I know there is no way to play these streams via MM and it seems the use of these players is only growing. I would rather maintain control of the player on my computer where there is the possibility to modify and control its actions.

pushpull
I would think that you could play a flash stream through the web node, but I don't really know as I've never tried it.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
pushpull

Re: stream needs

Post by pushpull »

nohitter151 wrote:
pushpull wrote:The wiki does say that it is supported by winamp so, if you select winamp as the player in the options, it would seem that it should then play. I don't have winamp on this computer so I cannot test this out.

pushpull
I would think that you could play a flash stream through the web node, but I don't really know as I've never tried it.
Other than the links for amazon, emusic, ect. I do not see a way to navigate using the web node unless there is something I am missing. Even if you could navigate like a browser via the web node would the webpage player be in control (pause,stop, etc.) or would MM be in control of these functions?
Mathew

AAC+ codecs pros cons

Post by Mathew »

Yes Its support have a look at http://audio-codecs.blogspot.com/
RUBn?

Re:

Post by RUBn? »

How far does MM stand with AAC+ now?
I really miss this. I recently switched to MM, and I love it, except that I must seek alternative URL's for a lot of my radio stations now. And it does of course higher my bandwidth use, since there isn't any better high quality, low bit rate and generally accepted standard out there.
I'd also hate to install Winamp.

To be honest, I thought aac+ was the "better" standard nowadays for streaming!?
Big_Berny wrote:Sure for streaming it should be useful. But I didn't see a lot HE-AAC-Streams yet.
Dude, I have like 30 stations that play AAC+ and some of them are quite popular! (SomaFM, RadioParadise, ..)

Just an output plugin from Winamp, wouldn't that do, to play it? I didn't find it in the plugins list (only input).
Big_Berny

Re: AAC+ (HE-AAC) Internet Radio Stations Support

Post by Big_Berny »

Look at the date! I wrote that one year ago! :D
RUBn?

Re: AAC+ (HE-AAC) Internet Radio Stations Support

Post by RUBn? »

Big_Berny wrote:
RUBn? wrote:
Big_Berny wrote:Sure for streaming it should be useful. But I didn't see a lot HE-AAC-Streams yet.
Dude, I have like 30 stations that play AAC+ and some of them are quite popular! (SomaFM, RadioParadise, ..)
Look at the date! I wrote that one year ago! :D
OK, would 've been only 10 then :-p.

Anyway, does anyone has any knowledge on this meanwhile (in MM without Winamp)?
I can't find any winamp plugins either for this specifically, for what it's worth. Maybe the standard winamp plugin can be used in MM (kind of way around installing winamp and using it as player)? No idea however where to find that one..