Sync with Google Android

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

jammastercd

Sync with Google Android

Post by jammastercd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:46 pm

I'm new to MediaMonkey, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far. One enhancement I'd like to see is the ability to sync MM with Google Android phones (e.g. the G1). I understand that they are not as popular as the iPhone/Pod/Touch product lines, but it appears they will likely gain popularity this year with additional Android phones hitting the market. I own the G1 and would love to see a MM client, allowing me to sync music/podcasts to the phone via MM. Understandably storage is a much bigger concern with the G1, so it would need to be simple to create a small sync list for the phone.

Thoughts?

nohitter151

Re: Sync with Google Android

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Can't you already sync? Are you implying that MM doesn't work to sync with your phone?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

jammastercd

Post by jammastercd » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:12 pm

When I checked the MM wiki for compatible devices, Android phones weren't listed. I also did a forum search for Google Android and received no results making any statements about compatibility. Is Google Android natively supported for synchronization with MM?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:34 pm

jammastercd wrote:When I checked the MM wiki for compatible devices, Android phones weren't listed. I also did a forum search for Google Android and received no results making any statements about compatibility. Is Google Android natively supported for synchronization with MM?
I assume that the Android is listed in windows as a generic mass storage device and as such MM can already sync to it without any problems.

jammastercd

Post by jammastercd » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:18 am

Yep, I was able to sync to the MicroSD card on the G1. The default music player on the G1 appears to recognize the information fairly well, including the playlists. Thanks for the input!

jnagar

Post by jnagar » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:13 pm

yes, but there's no support for syncing ratings and for updating the android media database directly (windows media player does this), so that when disconnecting from usb, the android system must rescan the sdcard and rebuild the database... it WOULD indeed be nice to have native support for android rather than treating it as a generic mass storage device.

vkelman

Post by vkelman » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:04 pm

@jnagar,
Are you saying that Windows Media Player directly interacts with Android media database? I doubt it's true. The only application I'm aware of, running on PC interacting with Android system is ADB (ADT).
Also, I was told several times, that Android does not support m3u playlists.
On my Dev Phone 1 I had serious issues with Android not rescanning SD card - not rebuilding the database. I was finally told that it's a known issue in Android 1.6. Meridian player helped because it allows to force re-scanning.
jnagar wrote:yes, but there's no support for syncing ratings and for updating the android media database directly (windows media player does this), so that when disconnecting from usb, the android system must rescan the sdcard and rebuild the database... it WOULD indeed be nice to have native support for android rather than treating it as a generic mass storage device.

Voltron8MyHat

Post by Voltron8MyHat » Mon May 17, 2010 1:18 pm

Android absolutely supports .m3u. In fact, it's the ONLY playlist format it supports (NOT .asx and NOT .xml).

You can use iTunes Export to sync music and playlists from iTunes, or you can use Mindows Media Player directly, but getting WMP to export .m3u instead of .asx or .wml playlists is kind of tricky.

abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 am

I have been trying to sync my Android phone but it isn't even showing up in MediaMonkey when it's plugged in. What do I do?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:17 am

abhiroopb wrote:I have been trying to sync my Android phone but it isn't even showing up in MediaMonkey when it's plugged in. What do I do?
Is windows media player installed? see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... rticleid=7

abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:50 am

Sorry, I restarted and it worked fine :)

Tysl332

Post by Tysl332 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:17 pm

actually media monkey does work for androids powered phones are you syncing your phone right go to the pull down tab and select usb sync your phone should pop up in the player it syncs fine with my droid

wamarler

Post by wamarler » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:57 am

Old thread is old, but I came across this today while trying to answer the same question. So still a relevant issue. I found this post helpful: http://www.rickycadden.com/2010/07/how- ... diamonkey/

vanoden

Post by vanoden » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:56 pm

Yes, the work arounds seem to function, but just pushing files to the phone comes up short of MediaMonkey's strengths. My wife and I both have phones, but we can't sync separate selections. And sure, it's not terribly difficult, but the extra steps to setup and sync each time become tedious. Android isn't a passing fling...MediaMonkey can't be awesome for just iPhone users. Please add real sync support for Android...or any individual android music player.

monkeybiss

Post by monkeybiss » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:31 am

yep. I'm android fan. open source all the way. syncing with android phone driod x2 is a problematic. please improve it. Thank you. :D