Alternative for Library\Location\HD:Documents (D:)\Folder\

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

CarlitoGil

Alternative for Library\Location\HD:Documents (D:)\Folder\

Post by CarlitoGil »

Instead of having four or more levels there should be only one, less clutter, unused space and nodes.
Implementation should not be that hard
Location stays the way it is, but before the Library node predefined folders show their database content.

Now:

Code: Select all

- Library
               - Music
                    + "Needed Node"
     + Artist
     + Genre
Solution:

- Music
     + "Needed Node"
- Library
     + Location
     + Artist
     + Genre
Look how far away the two "Needed Node"s are
Should not take any more time to load than if it where on the Location node, it's the same
iTunesMonkey + Acoustid – Find metadata from iTunes and Acoustid
Lowlander

Re: Alternative for Library\Location\HD:Documents (D:)\Folder\

Post by Lowlander »

This has been requested before although the request was to have the needed node first on the drive in the location node. I believe there is a shortcut script that can do this.

Although I too have to navigate many nodes the one I need I support the current implementation as it's more logical as it represents the physical representation of the files.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

Thanks I'll keep looking for the script
Lowlander wrote:it's more logical as it represents the physical representation of the files.
It's not, I'm not suggesting to change the location node.
Highly used folders should be more accessible with all the benefits of Location.
I don't need to remember where they are, their root folder, when the name gives it away.
I have different folders in different drives when they could be really close together, like:
- Music
- Downloads
- Sound Effects
- Etc
Instead of a complicated and space consuming tree structure.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you don't need the tree to represent your folder structure you have the remaining nodes like Artist and Album for navigation. The purpose of the Location node is exactly to allow you to navigate by the physical structure of your files on the hard drive.

As said earlier I think a script can do what you want, check out favorite nodes to see if it fits your needs.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

But I do need it to represent my folder structure
just not all the unnecessary root

The Library node should stay as it is because sometimes I do need every folder shown, like it is now.
But I'd like a duplicate node of some of the folders and their subfolders as a top node. Saves much time and screen space.

I let the navigation toolbar take as much width as it wants, like breadcrumb navigation, but it takes too much space always showing the same unnecessary thing

(<*) > [ ] Library > [ ] Location > [ ] HD:Documents (D:) > [ ] Music > [ ] Usefull stuff >...
instead of
(<*) > [ ] Music > [ ] Usefull stuff >...

- Music
     + "Needed Node"
     + "Needed Node"
     + "Needed Node"
- Promos
     + "Needed Node"
- Library
               - Music
                    + "Needed Node"
                    + "Needed Node"
                    + "Needed Node"
               + Downloads
               + Seldom needed
          - HD:Storage (S:)
               - Old Stuff
                    - Fulanitos's
                        - Promos
                            + "Needed Node"
               + Seldom needed
               + Seldom needed
     + Artist
     + Genre
Look how far away is the Music node inside libray from the left border, every node inside that increasingly more, that's a lot of horizontal scrollbar scrolling and screen space wasted.
And that's "D:\Music". Just one folder down!!!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you actually try the favorite nodes script to see if it fits your needs?

Alternatively you can store your music in the root of your hard drive so you don't have so many sub folders to handle.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

I don't have to, I read what it does.

You obviously are not understanding what and why I'm asking for
The example I gave could not be simpler and I really hope you are just being sarcastic or pissed off about something to make that suggestion. Would you have me put the content of D:\Music and others folders with all kind of audio content across multiple hard drives and partitions all in one like D:\<artist>\<album>\<filename> or just plain D:\<filename> for everyone? Say I do that, then what about Library > Location > HD:Documents (D:)?
That's was rhetoric. Wouldn't have you to read what I wrote.

Thanks for trying to help, but your not being helpful. I hope there's a script out there that serves this need but if not that's why I put this under "Wishlist".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's only suggestion. If this annoys you that much the suggestion might be something you'd have liked until a better solution is available. No need to ridicule someone that is just offering help.

You might also want to check out Magic Nodes and Custom Nodes to see if they can fill your needs.
CarlitoGil

Post by CarlitoGil »

Tried those too, their great but not for what I'm needing. I'll try suggesting the feature to Magic Node.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

If anyone figures out how to get MagicNodes to display a folder (as a node) that is NOT already a scanned folder in the library...please let me know. I just can't seem to get any tracks to display in my script.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Tylast wrote:If anyone figures out how to get MagicNodes to display a folder (as a node) that is NOT already a scanned folder in the library...please let me know. I just can't seem to get any tracks to display in my script.
That's not possible, MagicNodes queries the database for your files and can't display (to my knowledge) any files not located in the library.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Tylast

Post by Tylast »

No wonder! Thanks. OK, back to the original intent of this thread...a shortcut to particular folders would be nice. :wink:
BramKa

Post by BramKa »

Yes, this is what I'm looking for too. Got my music sorted in folders like 'german music', French music, Rap etc. Often after that it is organized further in subfolders. I would like to stick to the folder way of finding and ordering. With more subfolders, it gets too long, even though I have maximum of 3 subfolders. I would prefer a windows start-menu like shortcut so I can directly click on the right folder showing contents and subfolders without having to click on 'library' 'harddisk drive' and my music folder.
beg

Post by beg »

Hi,

don't know if this is an option for you, but I also have my large music collection organized in a complicated well developed harddisk folder structure and I do use this in order to pre-sort/filter my music. Since it is kind of difficult to be used with the node-stuff, I do this by simply using a bunch of playlists filtering my folder structre as I need it.

Since I can create playlists with whatever attributes - like show everything in the folder containing "\germanmusic" and I can organize playlists in a folder structure as well - this is my highly flexible and perfect working filter-system for physical folders as well as tagging information. I don't use the node/filter system at all, because far too unflexible and complicated compared to the playlist system..

cheers,
Bernhard

PS I have >70000 songs and hundreds of playlists filtering them in every possible way which works still fine..
Scoobie200x

Post by Scoobie200x »

I guess you already figgured it out that the library CAN be moved. Use the extra line in the .ini file. Browse this forum :D