Moving Folders

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

gumbootiner

Moving Folders

Post by gumbootiner » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:24 pm

To be able to right click a folder, go to send to/folder move and have it actually move the folder (not just its contents) would save me tonnes of time while organizing my music. As it is now, it just moves the mp3s to a chosen folder and leaves the old folder where it already was without making a new folder for the mp3s that were moved. Is there a way to have MM3 move a whole folder to another directory? If not, it'd make a great addition!

Sorry if this has already been requested, i checked but didn't see anyone else ask about it.
Thanks,

nohitter151

Re: Moving Folders

Post by nohitter151 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:29 pm

What about right click -> cut, right click -> paste or even Tools | Auto-organize?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:55 am

I think gumbootiner has a point though. If you right click on a folder and use Send To it might be nice that either optionally or standard it moves the folder structure as is. It would be faster than Cut & Paste (if you have to move through large folder structure) and Auto-Organize Files (no need to setup the mask).
It could prompt the user and allow the user to set default action (and no longer prompt).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

HaliburtonZeke

Post by HaliburtonZeke » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

This is a great idea. I have thousands of mp3 files in MM and getting more all the time. My main music database is getting too big. I would like to be able to move some files (but not the whole folder) and/or some whole folders from my "Music" folder to another folder (call it "MusicB") on another drive, likely an external hard drive. As well as moving a complete folder (with all files of all types) to the "MusicB" folder and creating a folder with the same name, I would like to be able to move a few music files from my Music folder to my MusicB folder and create a new folder with the same name if one doesn't already exist. The music files may come from E:\Music\ACDC\High Voltage and they may have to be moved to M:\MusicB\ACDC\High Voltage. So when moving a few files (but not the whole folder) from E:\Music\ACDC\High Voltage, the script would have to see if the folder M:\MusicB\ACDC is present (create if not), then see if the folder M:\MusicB\ACDC\High Voltage is present (create if not) and then move the file(s) to the M:\MusicB\ACDC\High Voltage folder.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:52 pm

Check out Auto-Organize Files as it should do what you need: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm For all available masks see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ormats.htm

donector

Post by donector » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:04 am

I am afraid the "auto organize" function is not a good solution for this.
the good thing about the "move to" is that is that it is an out of the box solution, right lick and then you can browse the full computer without making any other single click, getting to any folder you want ON THE FLY /no extra interface to face. so it is a radically flexible option, that has nevertheless made me fall in the trap mentioned above , a mess of mp3 without folders.

"auto organize" on the other hand is a rather quite fixed approach, because save to destination is a fixed (can be set though) so you need to perform quite a few steps to set the destination each time!!!, and then, they remain "fixed"; more settings for the name of mp3 and folder are also needed. for instance i use auto organize for renaming an properly taggin mp3 files in an INPUT folder, but naturally the archived proper collection of mp3 is in another drive and has a typical folder structure. music from input has to go to several differente locations in the archive depending on artist, gener, etc. so "auto organize" does become quite a problem to do so maaaany setting each time for every new albums that has been set /tagged as to enter in the collection (input folder)

i itrust i was clear enough and i dont think having a "move to (including folder)" option would mean any real difficulty in the right lick option/code

please!

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:09 pm

That's why Auto-Organize Files is so good. It uses criteria to determine where files should be moved. It even has if statements: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... ormats.htm