Infamous Date Created

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like a field inside of MediaMonkey for the date the file is created

You may select 1 option

87%
11%
2%

Total votes: 45

BinaryRock

Infamous Date Created

Post by BinaryRock »

I'm in search of the 'perfect' music manager and have decided to try out MM. I've read through all of the posts related to the 'date created' field (lack of). From what I can tell, the only way to get a date created field is to use a certain script that has to be run on each file manually. Is this still the case? Is this still the only way? Are there any plans to implement a date created field? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Lowlander on Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to wishlist and added poll
Eyal

Re: Infamous Date Created

Post by Eyal »

Right-click on any column header, choose -> Timestamp.
It's Date Modified however, not Date Created.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

There's also an "Original date" field in MM that can be used as the year the track was actually created. I only mention it because it wasn't clear to me whether you meant date created of the file itself or of the track in general.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
BinaryRock

Post by BinaryRock »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've seen the original date and timestamp fields. I'm looking for a date created field that will tell me when a particular song was downloaded or ripped to my hard drive, not when it was modified or when it was added to MM. Thanks again for any info.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

BinaryRock wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yes, I've seen the original date and timestamp fields. I'm looking for a date created field that will tell me when a particular song was downloaded or ripped to my hard drive, not when it was modified or when it was added to MM. Thanks again for any info.
There is no such field in MM.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Saiyavenger

Post by Saiyavenger »

Any chance of this being implemented? It'd be a HUGE help to peeps like me who create playlists based on this info.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

If you really need such thing, maybe you could try with the RegExp Find & Replace script and its "Assign the date/time when the file is created to the Timestamp field" preset. If you change the Timestamp field in the Into dropdown list to some of Custom fields, you could get the Date Created information using specified Custom field.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Saiyavenger

Post by Saiyavenger »

ZvezdanD wrote:If you really need such thing, maybe you could try with the RegExp Find & Replace script and its "Assign the date/time when the file is created to the Timestamp field" preset. If you change the Timestamp field in the Into dropdown list to some of Custom fields, you could get the Date Created information using specified Custom field.
Seems to have worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip and the awesome script in general!
BinaryRock

Post by BinaryRock »

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but now I have some questions. When I choose to put the Date Created info into the Timestamp field it continues to show Date Modified info. The Timestamp field gets updated to "Today hh:mm *M". If I choose to put the Date Created info into a Custom field, it works fine but I have issues sorting using that field. It doesn't sort based on actual time values.

It doesn't matter to me whether the Date Created info goes into the Timestamp field or a Custom field, I just want to be able to sort it so that the most recent tracks added to the hard drive appear first. Any help is appreciated.
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

If you want to apply mentioned preset to the Timestamp field, and consecutively to update the Date Modified value of the file, you should first open Tools / Options dialog box, go to Library / Tags & Playlists, turn ON the "Update tags when editing properties" and turn OFF "Modify timestamp when updating tags".

If you use mentioned preset to store information about Date Created to some Custom field, such information are written in the date/time format which is adjusted with your Windows Regional settings. This format in many cases is not very well for sorting purposes if it is treated as a string and only solution is to store date/time in "YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS" format. I could modify preset to store Date Created in such format, but such expression could be very long and probably much slower. If you really need such thing, you could add the following code to the c:\Program Files\MediaMonkey\Scripts\Auto\RegExpReplace.vbs file, for example with Notepad:

Code: Select all

Function DateTimeISO(sDateTime)
    DateTimeISO = Year(sDateTime) & "-" _
            & Right("0" & Month(sDateTime), 2) & "-" _
            & Right("0" & Day(sDateTime), 2)& " " _
            & Right("0" & Hour(sDateTime), 2) & ":" _
            & Right("0" & Minute(sDateTime), 2) & ":" _
            & Right("0" & Second(sDateTime), 2)
End Function
After that you should restart MM and modify the Replace with string in the mentioned preset with the next string:

Code: Select all

IIf(CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileExists(oSongData.Path), DateTimeISO(CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").GetFile(IIf(CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject").FileExists(oSongData.Path), oSongData.Path, Script.ScriptPath)).DateCreated), "$&")
Those modifications would be implemented in the next version of the script.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
BinaryRock

Post by BinaryRock »

Thank you so much. I'm liking MM more and more.