Multi-display support

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

powerpill-pacman

Multi-display support

Post by powerpill-pacman » Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:36 am

I don't know whether it is implemented or not, but i am using two displays and i want MM to appear on the secondary monitor. Whenever i start MM it shows up on the first display, i then move it to the second. When i close MM and re-open it (doesn't matter if i shut down Windows inbetween) it reappears on the first display. Is there any workaround (for example a setting in the registry)?

I posted this in the bug-forum 'cause i thought it is a bug to not reappear in the place it was closed in.
Windows 7 Ultimate (64bit) - MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm
if you really like my music...

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:31 am

Can i deduce, that there is no such function? :wink:

jiri

Post by jiri » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:23 am

So far, this wasn't tested, I'll add it to the list to be analyzed and considered for future versions.

Thanks,
Jiri

powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:11 pm

Thank you very much for your reply and your effort. The program is just great. :D
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm

powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman » Tue May 31, 2005 9:46 am

i have got another problem, whenever i move the tabs(?) with title, artist, album and so on, around their place isn't remembered when i reopen it.
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm

pah68

Post by pah68 » Tue May 31, 2005 9:52 pm

If your not closing MediaMonkey BEFORE shutting down, it may not have the time to write its config files.

powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:43 am

that is the problem, i am closing it, but it still behaves like this.
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm

Anubis

Re: Multi-display support

Post by Anubis » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:05 am

powerpill-pacman wrote:but i am using two displays and i want MM to appear on the secondary monitor. Whenever i start MM it shows up on the first display, i then move it to the second. When i close MM and re-open it (doesn't matter if i shut down Windows inbetween) it reappears on the first display.
I also run MM on two displays, a laptop screen and a TV. I can verify it works the way described above. And of course, it would be good if it did restart on the display it was last on.

It would also be good if the interface was designed for a 640x480 TV screen. That is, large fonts and buttons, and an uncluttered interface. Id like the cover art, currently playing song info and play, stop, pause, next song. <now this should be wish list...:-)>

powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:46 pm

Are there any changes yet?
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm

stutes

Post by stutes » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:49 pm

I'll echo this request. I use MM on a secondary monitor, and would love it if MM would remember it's position on the secondary monitor, instead opening in the primary monitor all the time.

agapeincognito

Post by agapeincognito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:19 am

While waiting for the future "display on X screen" feature, if you are using nVidia or ATI graphics cards, the software that comes with the cards (for the last 2 years on at least) has a function where you can assign an application to a monitor. Once assigned, the application would startup in that monitor regardless of whether or not the "feature" is programmed into the application.

If you aren't using these cards or don't have more recent software for them, then I guess you'll have to wait... :)

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:21 am

thanks for the advice, but i tried it long ago (and again for every release of drivers and MM) and it doesn't work with MM.

powerpill-pacman

Post by powerpill-pacman » Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:22 am

^that was me who wrote this reply^
Last edited by powerpill-pacman on Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
My music on Soundcloud
some more on Last.fm

agapeincognito

Post by agapeincognito » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:01 pm

Did you remove the graphics card executables from startup? If so, then it won't work. I have verified that it works just fine for me using the latest version of MM and an nVidia card.

I don't mean to sound patronizing at all, but the application (in this case, MM) generally has nothing to do with how the graphics software handles it's positioning, unless the application itself pinpoints specific coordinate points in the code. Usually, if the graphics software doesn't correctly draw the app on the desired monitor at startup it is because something isn't setup right in the graphics software. Make sure you have all the proper executables running (based on the original install) and that there isn't some rogue default setting in one of those exe's that's killing you. Also make sure you check for updated software. I don't remember exactly when they came out with the software that works really well.

You know, now that I think about it, it may also depend on the way you have your multiple monitors setup. If you are running one monitor off an imbedded graphics card, even the built in utilities may not work. You would probably have to have a DVI card (which usually comes with a DVI to Dual VGA cable), or two of the same model cards to get it to work correctly.

If it still doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you. Hopefully, it won't be long before something is available to help you out within MM itself!

Again, for those just now reading this, I am referring to an alternative method of starting MM on another monitor by using the "go to monitor" features now being packaged with some of the major graphics card vendors. These features allow you to assign various values to a specific application dictating which monitor the app is assigned to as well as other similar settings.

stutes

Post by stutes » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:53 pm

Hey, thanks for the tip about the NVIDIA settings. Had to enable the Profiles, which I hadn't bothered to do before, but there it was, the ability to set monitor preferences for applications. Cool.