How About A Grammar/Spell Check Feature For Tagging?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Son of Spam

How About A Grammar/Spell Check Feature For Tagging?

Post by Son of Spam » Wed May 13, 2009 8:43 pm

Sometimes I'll download albums from various blogs or whatever, and there might be one song where either the Artist or Song Title is misspelled. More often than not, I'll catch it if it's really egregious. But sometimes I'll miss it and find out later once it's been loaded onto my mp3 player.

Is there a way to develop a Spell Check feature into MediaMonkey?

Thanks.

(I'm sure this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.)

Cheers.
Beware The Lollipop Of Mediocrity:
Lick It Once, And You Suck Forever.

Lowlander

Re: How About A Grammar/Spell Czech Feature For Tagging?

Post by Lowlander » Thu May 14, 2009 9:08 am

I'm not entirely sure if it has been asked before. I'm not sure how well a spell check would serve as many albums contain misspellings (think rap music). Another issue would be that it would be most useful when it supports many languages.

I like the idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work. If existing language dictionaries can be used it might be something that scripts could add. This would allow the same implementation as Firefox where the user can download the dictionaries he/she requires.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

jjkraak

Post by jjkraak » Thu May 14, 2009 10:23 am

I don't really think it would work either, because half of the artists in your library has probably got a name that isn't in the dictionary:P But why would you need it anyway? You could just use Auto-Tag.. I don't see any shortcomings in that, except maybe that some songs can't be found.
And I really don't see the point in a Czech spellchecker ;)
Pardon my Dutch

DazB

Post by DazB » Thu May 14, 2009 11:29 am

Hi,

I agree with Lowlander and think the Firefox implementation would be good. I use it in assisting when editing the XMCD files (FreeDB) as the simple underlining makes it workable. You could generate your own dictionaries, but lack of direct Firefox support is a bit of an issue.

Daz

Son of Spam

Post by Son of Spam » Thu May 14, 2009 8:29 pm

DazB wrote:Hi,

I agree with Lowlander and think the Firefox implementation would be good. I use it in assisting when editing the XMCD files (FreeDB) as the simple underlining makes it workable. You could generate your own dictionaries, but lack of direct Firefox support is a bit of an issue.

Daz

Thanks for that! So, how would I work that?

DazB

Post by DazB » Fri May 15, 2009 6:26 am

Hi,

You would need to read the relevant Mozilla documentation and having created your dictionaries connect MM to Firefox using either AJAX [1], direct to the database [2] or some form of temporary tag export/import (maybe even read the tags from the files into the browser and re-scan with MM?).

[1] There are restrictions with "desktop interaction" in Vista but I have checked to see if it applies to the indirect method with AJAX.
[2] You need to cope with the IUNICODE collation issues.

Daz

Son of Spam

Re: How About A Grammar/Spell Check Feature For Tagging?

Post by Son of Spam » Mon May 18, 2009 8:28 am

I see the Moderators have "Czech-ed" my Thread Title. It was done on purpose, that way for the sake of irony! :lol:

But, alas...I suppose the Mods have to keep things literal and linear for everyone to understand. :wink:

Cheers.