SUB GENRES

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like support for sub genre's (nested genre's)?

You may select 1 option

View results

Dibbz

SUB GENRES

Post by Dibbz »

Yea…I know this one sounds a little unusual but ima giv it to u straight...in two words…SUB GENRES. Yes its sub genres. If by any chance no one has asked for this yet then I’m askin for it.

Y do I need subgenres?

Lets take Rock for instance. Now there are occasions when I want to listen rock music not caring what type of rock it is but then there are other times when I want listen face meltin heavy mental and other times when I want to listen Pop Rock. Now these can all be separate genres but then if I want to listen rock on a whole I will have to right click all these rock genres and choose play now(cz that’s the only way I know how to do it!) which I think kinda sucks. And addition to having subnodes I could completely organize all my genres. It doesn’t even necessarily have to be subgenres, they could just put in a way like the playlist is so u can arrange the genres as u please. So that way they wont have to develop new functions or anything like that. So basically they are just rearrangable genre nodes. I think this would make a good addition to the allready jam packed Monkey

Leave a comment, tell me what u think
Last edited by Lowlander on Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added poll
Dibbz
nohitter151

Re: SUB GENRES

Post by nohitter151 »

I can understand that, but what's really the difference between using "sub genres" and using "multiple genres"? For example, list your track with Rock; Punk Rock - then its listed under both genres and you have the option to listen to it under either one.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Dibbz

Post by Dibbz »

I guess that could work
i still think organizing genres would b cool thoe :wink:

thanx a lot :P
Dibbz
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dibbz wrote:I guess that could work
i still think organizing genres would b cool thoe :wink:

thanx a lot :P
You can also use the "Grouping" field as sort of a "main genre" and then use the "Genre" field for sub genres.

mattisse

Post by mattisse »

nohitter151 wrote:I can understand that, but what's really the difference between using "sub genres" and using "multiple genres"? For example, list your track with Rock; Punk Rock - then its listed under both genres and you have the option to listen to it under either one.
I second the wish for sub genres.

For me the advantage of sub genres over multiple genres would lie in the use of MM tree. It's perfectly suited for a hierarchy of genres.

For example you would have "Rock" on the first level under the genre node. From there you could drill down to the 2nd level where you'd see "Metal" and all other rock sub genres. Then on the 3rd level there could be "Thrash metal" etc.

This would be a great way of browsing through my library.

Also tagging would be faster and easier to handle than multiple genres.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

mattisse wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:I can understand that, but what's really the difference between using "sub genres" and using "multiple genres"? For example, list your track with Rock; Punk Rock - then its listed under both genres and you have the option to listen to it under either one.
I second the wish for sub genres.

For me the advantage of sub genres over multiple genres would lie in the use of MM tree. It's perfectly suited for a hierarchy of genres.

For example you would have "Rock" on the first level under the genre node. From there you could drill down to the 2nd level where you'd see "Metal" and all other rock sub genres. Then on the 3rd level there could be "Thrash metal" etc.
What's the difference having all genres appear on the same level, I don't see any advantage in nesting?
Also tagging would be faster and easier to handle than multiple genres.
How, exactly?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Support for sub genre's has been requested and discussed before.
Dibbz

Post by Dibbz »

Lowlander wrote:Support for sub genre's has been requested and discussed before.
Giv me a link so i can look at it
Dibbz
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

I think this could be already done with the Magic Nodes script using multi-item genres or Grouping field as it is suggested. For example:

Code: Select all

My genres and subgenres\<Genre>\<Genre>
or

My grouping and genres\<Grouping>\<Genre>
With Magic Nodes you could have as much nested levels as you want.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Brouwerik

Post by Brouwerik »

ZvezdanD wrote:I think this could be already done with the Magic Nodes script using multi-item genres or Grouping field as it is suggested. For example:

My genres and subgenres\<Genre>\<Genre>
Hey ZvezdanD, I was looking for this kind of node but it doesn't work for me :(. I have for example music tagged as "Hard Rock; Heavy Metal; Speed Metal"
When I use this node I get:

Hard Rock
+--Hard Rock
Heavy Metal
+--Heavy Metal
Speed Metal
+--Speed Metal

Is there a way to display two 2 other genres under each genre?

Greetz
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Yeah, you are right - it could not be so easy like I though. Actually, you have several not so comfortable possibilities:
1. Put the main genre in the Grouping tag and use my second mask from the previous post; with such solution you would have only two nested levels.
2. Use the Group option of the Magic Nodes and create one mask for each main genre, e.g.:

<Group|Name:My genres and sub-genres>\Rock|Filter:'; ' || Songs.Genre || '; ' LIKE '%; Rock; %'\<Genre>

<Group|Name:My genres and sub-genres>\Blues|Filter:'; ' || Songs.Genre || '; ' LIKE '%; Blues; %'\<Genre>
and so on for other main genres. Again, could be used only with two nested levels, but not need to modify tags if you already have multi-item genres.
3. Use Custom tags for sub-genres, so you have a possibility for 6 nested levels:

My genres with custom fields\<Custom 1>\<Custom 2>\<Custom 3>\<Custom 4>\<Custom 5>\<Genre>
4. Use the Grouping tag or some Custom field and Exclusive Right of/Right until qualifiers of the Magic Nodes; this is the most complicated solution, but could occupy only one field and could have several nested levels; you should add some special string before each level, e.g. Grouping = "G1:Hard Rock; G2:Heavy Metal; G3:Speed Metal", and the following mask:

My genres with grouping\<Grouping|Ex Right of:G1:|Right until:;>\<Grouping|Ex Right of:G2:|Right until:;>\<Grouping|Ex Right of:G3:|Right until:;>
If you have not used Magic Nodes before GUI, the Ex Right of qualifier is same as if you type text in the Right of edit box and turn on the Show only if contain check box.

Of course, if you are going to use some of this suggestions with some extra field (Grouping or Custom), you don't need to copy/paste your genres manually - my RegExp Find & Replace script could be used for batch transfer of tags.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
Dibbz

Post by Dibbz »

I didn’t exactly got what I wanted but I found I found some good uses for some of the suggestions. MM is wired so tight that u can always find ways to do what u want with it. ROCK ON!!!!
Dibbz
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

ZvezdanD wrote:Yeah, you are right - it could not be so easy like I though. Actually, you have several not so comfortable possibilities:
2. Use the Group option of the Magic Nodes and create one mask for each main genre, e.g.:

<Group|Name:My genres and sub-genres>\Rock|Filter:'; ' || Songs.Genre || '; ' LIKE '%; Rock; %'\<Genre>

<Group|Name:My genres and sub-genres>\Blues|Filter:'; ' || Songs.Genre || '; ' LIKE '%; Blues; %'\<Genre>
and so on for other main genres. Again, could be used only with two nested levels, but not need to modify tags if you already have multi-item genres.
Look rely nice. Is it possibly to combine this mask with the above mask?

My Sorted Genres\<Genre|Sort by:Count(All) Desc|Show sort key:0|Statistic:Count(All)>
My idea is to avoid the need of extra fields like Grouping and Custom. What I want is turn my multi-item genres into a Tree structure where the most common 10-15 genre has a sublevel and the other genre folders contains songs. I believe it's enough with three nested level
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

RobertSmith wrote:Is it possibly to combine this mask with the above mask?
Of course, just replace <Genre> in my masks with <Genre|Sort by:Count(All) Desc|Show sort key:0|Statistic:Count(All)> from your mask and enter your main genres for node caption and in the Filter expression (I wrote only two examples for Rock and Blues). For example:

<Group|Name:My genres and sub-genres>\Rock|Filter:'; ' || Songs.Genre || '; ' LIKE '%; Rock; %'\<Genre|Sort by:Count(All) Desc|Show sort key:0|Statistic:Count(All)>
RobertSmith

Post by RobertSmith »

Thx for the quick answer. I realise that my suggestion wasn't clear :)

I wonder if it was possible to skip the first "manual" level (writing pop, rock, dance etc.) and instead use the most 10 common genre as level 1, level 2 would be a mixed of the most 10 common genre that also have the same genre as level 1 and the rest of the genre folders containing songs, level 3 should only be genre folders with songs. If this is possible you don't have to specify the top genre and you don't have to use any other filed other then the multi-item genre field. -> A Magic Genre Tree
Boys Don't Cry
3.1.0.1256 - M$ Vista Business sp1, DELL laptop, WD USB HDD 1TB (iPhone 3GS 32GB, iPod 30GB, Archos AV500 60GB)