Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564][#13147]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

kane2742

Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564][#13147]

Post by kane2742 »

The "Ignore prefixes when sorting by artist" option is great. I like that, for instance, The Who show up under "W" rather than "T" without having to change the tag to just "Who." I think it would be good to extend this feature to other fields as well. Album and Title would probably be the most useful, but some people might want to ignore "The" and other prefix words in their custom and/or classification fields as well.

I would suggest changing "Ignore prefixes when sorting by artist" slightly to say something like "Ignore the following prefixes," then the box like there is now where users can input custom prefix words, followed by "For..." and checkboxes underneath it to indicate which fields the user would like to ignore prefixes for. At a minimum, these checkboxes would include Artist, Title, and Album, and maybe even all fields (or at least all text fields).

It would also be nice to be able to specify characters as prefixes to be ignored, even when not followed by a space. For instance, I would like to ignore parentheses so that Blue Öyster Cult's "(Don't Fear) the Reaper" shows up under "D" when sorted by title, rather than being at the top. I don't know if this is a feature that should be added to the "Ignore prefixes" box or if MM should just have an option to ignore all non-alphanumeric characters when sorting.

Does anyone else have any comments/ideas on these suggestions?
Lowlander

Re: Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist

Post by Lowlander »

This has been suggested before and I support this request as well.
GentleGiant

Post by GentleGiant »

Ignoring parentheses would be great - very annoying when they are listed at the start of the library.
komarek

Post by komarek »

Please. I need this too.

--pk---
kathyj

Post by kathyj »

I desperately need this feature too, including parentheses, and possibly for all fields.

Also I would like to specify multiple prefixes to be ignored for one sort field, with the little dialogue box telling you how to phrase such a string.

Best regards,
kathyj
theta_wave

Post by theta_wave »

I just want to bump this thread up. I hope to see this feature in the near future. It is pretty annoying to view compilations (soundtracks, etc) when the prefix "the" is not ignored.
ribosradagast

Post by ribosradagast »

I'd like to bump this up, too...my iPod now has pages and pages of albums that start with "A" and "The"...extremely annoying.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
joshcoady

Post by joshcoady »

Any news on when we might see this feature? -- count me as another with a long list of albums starting with The and I have some songs that start with ( or " -- very annoying
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Deeejub

Post by Deeejub »

I too would consider this an important feature to include re at least song and album title. It impacts about 3000 files on my system as to either title of song or album title, which isn't insignificant. Not to mention it *is* the way it is in ITunes, and I have yet to see a complaint about articles being ignored in ITunes for these fields.
PiercedOne

Re: Ignore Prefixes for Fields Other Than Artist [#4564]

Post by PiercedOne »

Add me to the list of the frustrated. I LOVE MediaMonkey, and was thrilled to ditch iTunes, but having literally hundreds of albums sorted by "The" is driving me nuts.
Xygxag

Post by Xygxag »

bump

I've been a Gold user for a couple of years. I'd love to be able to ignore symbols such as ( " and ' in addition to articles such as A An and The.

Thanks.
vicpac

Post by vicpac »

Yes. Adding an ignore prefix for song titles would be helpful as well.
Dan33185

Post by Dan33185 »

:(