Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Multiple Libraries?

Post by Lowlander »

No, auto-complete shows used values in the Library and this can't be changed. However, why not edit multiple files at a time so you don't have to enter it multiple times?
deremder

Post by deremder »

Collections are great. I use them to filter low rated and flagged items. But a complete switch to a different library with different source folders would be great.

I imagine it like this:
- When there's only on library, MM starts direcly.
- When you start MM from a file or CD, e.g. by doubleclicking, it starts with the first, base library.
- When MM is open, it uses allways the current library.
- Whe MM starts without a file to play and you have more than one libraries, you will be asked to choose a library.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

Or make it a little less complicated. Always use the most recent library and be able to change libraries using File --> Open and pointing to a different MM.db file.

The problem is that adding such functionality would require rewriting a significant amount of MM's code. It would probably only be viable if a new version was being rewritten from scratch.

What you could do as a workaround is have multiple portable installations. Admittedly this means more work when an update is released, but at least each portable installation could have its own library.
deremder

Post by deremder »

I think your solution is more complicated to implement.

Does such function really needs a rewrite? Isn't there one endpoint to the database?

Even when pointing a different database it will be a lot of work to implement understandable and usefull frontend elements.

The solution with different portable installation is restricted. I had conflicts with an installed and a prortable version and when you only use portable versions your not able to link filetypes with MM in your OS.