Automatically Check for Script and Skin Updates [#5917]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

dypsis

Automatically Check for Script and Skin Updates [#5917]

Post by dypsis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to check for updates to your MediaMonkey scripts and skins from within MediaMonkey.
Or even to get MediaMonkey to do it for you at any given interval. :)

Mizery_Made

Re: Automatically Check for Script and Skin Updates

Post by Mizery_Made » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:23 pm

dypsis wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to be able to check for updates to your MediaMonkey scripts and skins from within MediaMonkey.
You can, if the scripter/skinner has a server set up to handle the update check. Trix's scripts do, as to Zdev's.
dypsis wrote:Or even to get MediaMonkey to do it for you at any given interval. :)
I would agree with this, and this point was mentioned in a thread I previously wrote asking for some improvements in general to the extension handling.

The thread: Extension Management/Update Improvements
Subsequent Mantis entry: 6239: Extension Management/Update Improvements

The mantis entry only makes mention of one general issue, and there hasn't been any activity on it in a while, so...

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:35 am

as mentioned the scripts and skins can if there is code in the skin or script file.

but for the want of everyone to have one central location to put in the code for them to check from
is why most of us are waiting.
in my skins i could put the link to check the same page i host them on at my public msn site.

but i like the others are waiting on the central hosting site from the developers so we can use that site url
to put in the code.

i can tell you though that most the skinners are more likely making mm 4 skins or updating theirs or waiting to update them when mm 4 is released.

its the same thing we did on the release of mm 3.

:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

dypsis

Post by dypsis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Mizery_Made wrote:
dypsis wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to be able to check for updates to your MediaMonkey scripts and skins from within MediaMonkey.
You can, if the scripter/skinner has a server set up to handle the update check. Trix's scripts do, as to Zdev's.
How do Trix's scripts check?
I have never been prompted to update.

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:50 pm

Tools > Extensions and click Find Updates, in other words you manually need to start the checking of updates for your installed scripts (that support this).
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

dypsis

Post by dypsis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm

Lowlander wrote:Tools > Extensions and click Find Updates, in other words you manually need to start the checking of updates for your installed scripts (that support this).
Thanks.
You know, I have never noticed this before. :-?
Does it check and install the updates for you as well?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:07 pm

It checks the updates and allows you to, again manually, install updates per addon, just select the addon with available updates and click the install updates button.

dypsis

Post by dypsis » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:20 pm

Lowlander wrote:It checks the updates and allows you to, again manually, install updates per addon, just select the addon with available updates and click the install updates button.
OK.
Thanks... :)

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 am

Mantis entry: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5917

I personally like the Firefox addons manager. You can enable/disable update checking and install all updates, or on selected addons in one action.

dypsis

Post by dypsis » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Lowlander wrote:Mantis entry: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5917

I personally like the Firefox addons manager. You can enable/disable update checking and install all updates, or on selected addons in one action.
Yeah, the Firefox Addons Manager is very good, and very simple from an end user's point of view.