Video database? IMDb?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

ZvezdanD

Re: Video database? IMDb?

Post by ZvezdanD »

It seems to me that you are making wrong analogy of Actors field with Artist field, although Involved people (which is not realized as it should) is more appropriate as analogy. For example, Actors could be stored like this: Marlon Brando: Don Vito Corleone; Al Pacino: Michael Corleone; James Caan: Santino 'Sonny' Corleone; Richard S. Castellano: Peter Clemenza (as Richard Castellano) which is similar to: Bono: Vocals; The Edge: Guitars; Adam Clayton: Bass; Larry Mullen, Jr.: Drums. You see, with Involved people we could store multiple musician:role pairs, and I am suggesting similar approach with Actors field which could store multiple actor_name:name_in_movie pairs. However, the program itself is not capable to parse and display such data adequately.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
gege

Post by gege »

ZvezdanD wrote:OK folks, please forget that IMDb thing which I have mentioned. MediaMonkey is not true freeware and there could be some licensing issues with IMDb.
How about using TMDb?
themoviedb.org is a free and open movie database. It's completely user driven by people like you. TMDb is currently used by millions of people every month and with our and powerful API, also used by many popular media centers like Moovida, XBMC, Plex, MythTV and MediaPortal.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I've seen a comment about it in Mantis, I was surprised though as this is often done through addons. In either case I assume we'll see TMDb as a tagging source.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Has anything happened with this yet? I was pleasantly surprised to discover MM4 today and was hoping it might have video scrapers installed, but no such luck yet and it has made a mess of my (admittedly messy) movie collection in the database.

It's something I might look into as an addon if someone isn't on it yet. - themoviedb.com and thetvdb.com are definitely what I'd be looking at.
Psyker7

Post by Psyker7 »

Mantis issue is here:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6935

Seems they've decided to leave it as Amazon for now - which is a pain as Amazon tends to return way too many duplicate results for all the different retail DVDs available for example. In general for TV and Movies youd on't want this extra information in the main meta-tags Title / Series etc.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

themoviedb.com and thetvdb.com are made for scraping the info so I don't think it will be much of an issue to create the addons once MediaMonkey 4 is out. IMDB might be a bigger issue as I have heard it requires a license (not sure how Meedios gets around this).
Lobito

Post by Lobito »

what about filmaffinity (http://www.filmaffinity.com/en/main.html)?
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

ZvezdanD wrote:audio/video bitrate (stored independently)
I support this!
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
Liam.f

Post by Liam.f »

Hi I have been using MM for a while now to organise my music, and after an update to MM v4 I certainly noticed some of the above mentioned features missing.
I would like to raise this point again aimed mainly at where the information comes from. Amazon does not provide some of the very necessary fields for film organisation such as genre, which makes it unsuitable for purpose.
As mentioned XBMC uses thefreeDB to scrape information which works almost flawlessly with only the odd error, I would love to see the same organisational features xbmc supplies with better editing capabilities. It is the auto-organise feature that interests me most as I would like to have a good file structure based on genre -> year -> Film Title -> .avi, but at current I'm going to end up with a mass unknown folder with year subfolders containing horror side by side with comedy.
I would also love to see the option to see details such as quality of source(bluray/dvd etc), audio/video codec etc.

Many thanks to the developers, its a great product I use on a daily basis :)
cydog2001

Post by cydog2001 »

Time for a little thread necromancy...

Is there any new relevant information to add to this thread? It's been well over a year and still no movement on the part of the devs. Plus, no one's yet implemented a 3rd party IMDB/TMDB/TVDB plugin as near as I can find.

This is SORELY needed.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.

--Theodore Roosevelt
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This is something that will need to be added as Addon. No Addon developer has taken up the challenge so far.
BigV

Post by BigV »

I might be the oddball here. My use for mediamonkey is primarily for movies. My current library is a couple thousand movies and countless TV show series. ALL legal purchased movies. Wife and I owned a video store and are serious movie nuts.

I originally ripped movies in AVI format. At the time it was the best. Recently I've converted everything to MP4. I use HandBrake to rip or convert. The "Android High" setting works great for streaming to our tablets and most normal sized TV's. I tag those MP4 files using MetaX. It costs $10 and pulls data from multiple sources and tags the movies with art and info. Great tool.

I've only played with mediamonkey for about a week. I have not decided if I'm going to buy it yet. There are a couple of issues that can be deal breakers for me.

I don't really want it to organize movies for me. I have my own system of storage that works for me. RIght now I rip on one computer and then copy to the computer running mediamonkey. I'm not sure I want an application do that on its own. Movies are not as simple as music. A DVD can sometimes have multiple versions of the same movie. Wide screen, full screen, rated, unrated etc... There are also tags that I tweak for my own use.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey doesn't organize anything if you don't tell it to. I do use it for movies/TV, but to UPnP stream it to clients/sync. Tagging isn't up to par with music, but this may change if tagger Addons are created.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Lowlander ... good to hear you are using for films. I, also, am starting to put my film library into MM.

You are right about some lacking and I have put a post in Addon about looking for some scripting gods to help some. If you know anyone have them PM me.

I would really like to see this section improve.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
cydog2001

Post by cydog2001 »

DTSig, did you ever find anyone to help with creating video tagging addons? I sure hope so as I'm about at wit's end trying to tag all my video in MM.

(I've got 3.5 tbs worth of video and I'm sick of trying to do the copy/paste method of tagging from IMDb and TMDb.)
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.

--Theodore Roosevelt