Genius-like feature for MM

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

alirezanoori

Genius-like feature for MM

Post by alirezanoori »

I wish there was (or maybe it is?!) a feature that works like iTune's Genius feature, which finds similar tracks for the song currently being played from Library. Zune has a similar feature. I couldn't find something like this for MM.

Also, is there a plugin that suggests more songs from Last.fm for currently played song?
Lowlander

Re: Genius-like feature for MM

Post by Lowlander »

Genius requires a database that knows what songs are similar, ie. costs lots of money.
alirezanoori

Post by alirezanoori »

This could be enabled by analyzing the songs for their audio signatures (which MM already does) and playing similar tracks. This will be free.

MM could also use of a 3rd party service which as you said would cost money. In that case, this could be enabled as a feature for Gold users. Am I wrong?
gggirlgeek

Post by gggirlgeek »

I believe Songbird (Mozilla) does this by creating an acoustic fingerprint. But I've never taken the time to let it analyze all of my files (it takes hours.) I am very confused about the difference between this and MM's volume analyzer. In addition there is an AcoustID that many free databases use to find tags. (I will ask about the differences in another thread.)

Perhaps one of these analysis tools could be used without a high cost though?
My current favorite software: MediaMonkey Gold!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Analyze Volume is not related as it analyzes the volume of the track and saves a volume offset in tag so all songs can be played at same volume.

AcoustID is used for tagging: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... t=AcoustID

The options for analyzing duplicates is the one that fingerprints in MediaMonkey (Tools > Options > Library). If this is useful for similar analysis (I'm not sure) it could be used through scripting.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Lowlander wrote: The options for analyzing duplicates is the one that fingerprints in MediaMonkey (Tools > Options > Library). If this is useful for similar analysis (I'm not sure) it could be used through scripting.
No, that option just generates an MD5 hash of a file. Useful for identifying two files that are exactly alike, but not useful for determining similarity in audio.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
alirezanoori

Post by alirezanoori »

I have used similar free tools (don't remember names) that generate audio fingerprints. MM can create such fingerprints and compare them with the library to find similar tracks. Right?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

alirezanoori wrote:I have used similar free tools (don't remember names) that generate audio fingerprints. MM can create such fingerprints and compare them with the library to find similar tracks. Right?
No.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
alirezanoori

Post by alirezanoori »

nohitter151 wrote: No.
OK! :)
MMuser2011

Post by MMuser2011 »

alirezanoori wrote:I have used similar free tools (don't remember names) that generate audio fingerprints. MM can create such fingerprints and compare them with the library to find similar tracks. Right?
Unfortunately not. It would be great, if MM would use fingerprinting like AcoustID to identify songs with acoustic methods.
Magic Nodes v4.3.3 (2018-10-03) last free version SQL Viewer v2.4 (2009-10-25)
ExternalTools v1.4 (2011-05-09) iTunesMonkey 1.0 + Acoustid
Calculate Cover Size v1.7 (2012-10-23) RegExp Find & Replace v4.4.9 (2018-10-03) last free version