High DPI display support in future versions [#11014]

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Boramis

Re: High DPI display support in future versions [#11014]

Post by Boramis »

Until MM5 is released, can they at least remove the "<dpiAware>true</dpiAware>" block from the exe manifest? I was doing that myself previously (along with setting the CPU affinity to avoid some thread contention issues I reported years ago), but it now causes an error on startup, which I assume is due to tweaks/improvements in the copy protection. Call SetProcessDPIAware manually on 125% and 150% scaling if you want partial support, but at 200% it's sluggish and has a bunch of unscaled text/images/controls.
mikolajek

Post by mikolajek »

Any news on that? I've been trying MusicBee that handles 4K screens correctly, but I'm missing my monkey!
Pathduck

Post by Pathduck »

Well, it appears that in the latest 4.14 version dpiAware is now set to "false" in the manifest... and now it all looks blurry as hell on 150% :(
So I've had to disable DPI scaling for Mediamonkey, I guess I've gotten so used to it.

Thing is, most of MM actually scales pretty well, the text is mostly fine, at least in my Windows 10 at 150%, some minor issues with text placement in some dialogs but nothing major. The biggest issues are the icons at the top that do not scale, and the hard-coded player size for most skins.

I think skinning variations are the biggest problem as there are vastly different font sizes depending on skin. Delletronic is really OK, apart from the minimal player size.
Example: http://i.imgur.com/5G0HPgF.png
Boramis

Post by Boramis »

Sounds like they just can't win until they v5.

At 200% though, I can confirm 4.14 is a huge improvement over the previous releases. The unscaled elements were bad, but it was really the sluggishness that killed it at 4K, and the snappiness in the new release is an excellent reminder of why I started using MM in the first place. My usage had basically dropped to zero in the months since the dpiAware flag originally went in. I don't know if they made other changes, but the thread contention I was seeing previously when loading album art in the list view doesn't seem nearly as bad either.
hfm

Post by hfm »

Glad this is being addressed in MM5. It's perfectly usable, but it's just very blurry since it's being scaled up.
asdfasdfasdfqwefgsdf

Post by asdfasdfasdfqwefgsdf »

I just noticed that you can get the text to scale correctly by adjusting MediaMonkeys shortcut properties. (Using MediaMonkey 4.1.19 and Windows 10 pro.)

To do it, right click on the MediaMonkey icon in the start menu, and click on 'Go to file location'. Then in the file explorer, right click on the MediaMonkey icon, click Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, check the "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" checkbox, click on the drop down menu directly below it, and select "System (Enhanced)" as the scaling method.
Pathduck

Post by Pathduck »

asdfasdfasdfqwefgsdf wrote:I just noticed that you can get the text to scale correctly by adjusting MediaMonkeys shortcut properties. (Using MediaMonkey 4.1.19 and Windows 10 pro.)

To do it, right click on the MediaMonkey icon in the start menu, and click on 'Go to file location'. Then in the file explorer, right click on the MediaMonkey icon, click Properties, click on the Compatibility tab, check the "Override high DPI scaling behaviour" checkbox, click on the drop down menu directly below it, and select "System (Enhanced)" as the scaling method.
True. But it will also lead to blurriness - and the Enhanced scaling is only available in Win10 with the Creators Update. It looks OK but a bit blurry.

I've learned to live with having scaling set to "Application", it makes the text scale fine and remain crisp. The player and icons is way too small though, but the rest of the app is actually fine. At least with the Delletronic skin.

I'm on 1440p or 1080p mostly, for people using 4K I imagine it's a much bigger problem, they should probably use the System Enhanced method.
TroubleClef

blurry text

Post by TroubleClef »

I just moved MMW to a new computer with a nice full HD display. MMW seems to be functioning normally so far, but all the text is blurry. I don't notice this in any other applications on the computer. Any ideas?
MMW Gold Lifetime user

MMA beta tester