Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

grahamsie

Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Post by grahamsie »

Can you please add Chromecast Audio option to the desktop App?

It would improve the user experience massively to allow the media to be played on wireless/remote speakers.
JimFaas

Re: Chromecast Audio for DEsktop App

Post by JimFaas »

That would really be sweet!
AndyBKK

Post by AndyBKK »

+1
LowerHater

Post by LowerHater »

As soon as I saw Chromecast Audio announced, I thought when MM gets native or plugin Chromecast support I will be in multiaudio heaven.

Please jump on this.
captain paranoia

Post by captain paranoia »

Whilst the OP's need for wireless playing can already be met using UPnP/DLNA streaming to a small, cheap DLNA digital media renderer, Chromecast offers the promise of multi-room syncasting, which would be great.

BubbleUPnP already supports Chromecast, and it works very well. But MMW is a better player...
captain paranoia

It dawned on me that what is needed is a virtual hardware driver, linking Windows audio API to Chromecast API.

So I googled for 'Chromecast audio windows driver' and found this discussion:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/com ... ast_audio/

where there is a link to 'audio_cast'. I downloaded it, unzipped and ran it, and it started up ffmpeg, so I assume it's transcoding.

https://github.com/acidhax/chromecast-audio-stream/

I thought it was working, but then realised I had the audio lead plugged into the PC, not the Chromecast ... d'oh!

When I corrected that, and enabled the icon in the system tray, the Chromecast icon appeared. Clicking on that brought up a dialogue box with found CC devices and 'close'. Selecting a CCA device caused the familiar CC 'chime'. But no audio from MM. Booh!

It's close, but no cigar yet. I need to have a play to see if I can find out what's wrong. I'm not the only one with this problem

It did take a fair chunk of CPU on the dual-core Atom n280 in the all-in-one Win 7 PC I'm now using as an MM player.

And I'd rather be able to stream files directly, rather than intercepting the PC's audio stream, compressing it (?) and then casting it.

But I think it proves the concept that you can take Google's code, and get something working pretty quickly. If you know what you're doing...

Oh yes: regarding compression; it does look like it's supposed to be using MP3 (parameters..?) to create the stream. Kind of spoils the point of having a FLAC library...
captain paranoia

> It dawned on me that what is needed is a virtual hardware driver, linking Windows audio API to Chromecast API.

On further reflection of how we select a player in MMW, it's not the windows audio driver API we need; it's the MMW audio output device API we need.... We don't select an audio driver, we select the local MMW player, or a UPnP player. So we need something like the UPnP player output device, but with the ability to stream to Chromecast, rather than UPnP.

The example at GitHub must be doing the file streaming to Chromecast bit (although fixed at MP3, rather than the file options now available to CCA). So we need the MMW file output redirection bit.

I wish I had the software skills to do this...
BlackTornado

Post by BlackTornado »

+1 for Chromecast support on the desktop app.

It occurs to me that an "easy" way to implement this would be through the Android app.
With the chromecast support on his way on the Android app, it will be possible to play a song from the phone over DLNA to the Chromecast. At this point, it should be fairly easy to implement "play to chromecast" option that just automatize the whole process..
Lyndon

Post by Lyndon »

I would greatly appreciate this option as well.
capo

Post by capo »

+1
richiefinger

Post by richiefinger »

Yes please
jiri

Post by jiri »

We hope to introduce this soon. ;-)

Jiri
BlackTornado

Post by BlackTornado »

jiri wrote:We hope to introduce this soon. ;-)

Jiri
Great news!
Please keep us posted!
JayLaFunk

Post by JayLaFunk »

Any updates on when this will be happening?.
behlers

Post by behlers »

+1 ... Really looking forward to it. ANy news