Tie songs (that belong) together

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Would you use a feature to override shuffle for "tied" songs

You may select 1 option

View results

UncleBoarder

Tie songs (that belong) together

Post by UncleBoarder »

This is a general library feature request but it would be most useful in random playback mode. When I play my playlist in random mode, I need some way to group songs that belong together.

So far I've found no program that does this. MM does almost everything I've been looking for... so I thought I'd ask...

Some songs are mastered as seperate tracks but are meant to be played together. Or perhaps you have a couple you always like to hear together. How can I "tie" songs together no matter where or in what playlist they're played from?

Ed
Last edited by UncleBoarder on Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

Hello

I guess you mean that e.g. in a DJ mixed cd, sometimes the mix is cut into pieces as seperate tracks, but they are actually part of one large song (dj-set, liveset, ...). Then these seperate songs would have to be tied together as a tied group?
(and you would also like to make a tied group for any songs you want always to be played together)

Is that correct?

If MM would play one song of that tied group, would you then like the other songs to follow, or would you rather like that MM begins from the first song of the group, and after that one the other songs follow.
say MM starts song 4, would you like to play 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
or would you like to play 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ?
Anyway, that's just a detail that could be set as an option.

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
UncleBoarder

Grouping songs - Examples

Post by UncleBoarder »

Not only a DJ mix, some original CDs have the "problem". In your example 4,5,6,7,8 would be the choice.

e.g. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon... track 1 "Breathe" has a smooth transition into track 2 "On the Run". If you play it in shuffle mode it sounds like the song is just cut off because it's missing the "ending" which is really the beginning of track 3.

There are a number CDs like this where a "prelude" is mastered as a separate track. When you play in shuffle mode you effectively loose part of the song.

Another example would be Blackfoot, Strikes... the song "Train, Train" has a :36 second prelude that is a separate track. It is not a stand alond song.

I hope that makes sense.

Ed
MarineBrat

Re: Grouping songs - Examples

Post by MarineBrat »

UncleBoarder wrote:e.g. Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon... track 1 "Breathe" has a smooth transition into track 2 "On the Run".
It's funny that this is the exact album & song that I thought about when started reading your post. :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This has been requested. The main problem is that you'll need to manually link the songs together. I wonder how many people would like such a feature as it's a lot of work and makes the shuffle not so shuffle. There is a script that can play by album, maybe that it helps a little.
UncleBoarder

Add a poll?

Post by UncleBoarder »

Personally I think a manual link is the perfect solution. But you raise a good question Lowlander. How many people are interested?

I'll add a poll.

Ed
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

Sorry, I was going to try and script this but I honestly can't think of a suitable way of doing it. It does sound like interesting advanced functionality which would be unique from any other player I've heard of though.
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

If it's some kind of relief, I'm working on it...

Cheers
Steegy
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).
Steegy

Post by Steegy »

OK, the first version of the TiedSongsGroups script is finished. It will probably contains some bugs, but for now, it has been working quite good.

TiedSongsGroups: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

ADDITION: Live albums can also use this feature (next to these already mentioned)

Cheers
Steegy
skywalka

Re: Tie songs (that belong) together

Post by skywalka »

I know this is an old post but this is a really important feature. There are some scripts that can be used within MediaMonkey but native support would be great so that synced files could be joined together on portable devices.

Just my 2c.