implement support for old add-ons in MM5

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

jgt1942

implement support for old add-ons in MM5

Post by jgt1942 »

Developers, please implement support for old add-ons in MM5.
I'm a gold user and just discovered that with v5 currently there is no support for old addons. I've just started to learn about some of the addons and would hate to lose the function of the addons.
Peke

Re: implement support for old add-ons in MM5

Post by Peke »

Unfortunately, it is impossible to do that technically as MM5 uses new and modern cross platform capable engine which without cripple of MM itself do not support old addons design.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Peke wrote:Unfortunately, it is impossible to do that technically as MM5 uses new and modern cross platform capable engine which without cripple of MM itself do not support old addons design.
OK how do we get the function provided by the current addons? Or will there be another method that the addons can be changed and still work? It seems that MM is taking a step backwards if we don't have the ability to use the addons that other developers have developed.
jiri

Post by jiri »

You know, we are at the very beginning of MM5 in public, so there hasn't been time yet for scripters to create new scripts for MM5. I suppose that some functions of MM4 add-ons will be replaced by an updated MM5 UI, some add-ons will be ported and some new add-ons will be created before MM5 is released.

Btw, which addons do you use most?

Thanks,
Jiri
jgt1942

Post by jgt1942 »

Jiri, I was just attempting to learn Magic Nodes and so far I've made very little progress. Up till this time I've used MM in a very basic mode and recently decided to start cleaning up my music library which has nothing but MP3 file and is 520GB in size. My music is from several different sources thus a LOT of things were wrong. My first efforts is to clean up the title. On numerous entries the title included the track number, these I've cleaned up. I'm now working on removing the leading blank in the title and have about 1000 entries that have this issue. I tried using Magic Nodes to resolve this issue but between the poor documentation in MM and Magic Nodes I failed.

For sure I'd like to see much better documentation for MM v5. In the current documentation often it describes some action but I cannot really understand what is being described thus a number one improvement would be to include more images showing what I should be clicking on.

Recently I was reading about ripping CD and the examples included are not very good. Thus I suggest that when including examples include better examples.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Add-ons are not MM. Support for them comes from their authors or users familiar with the scripts.

For what you describe (editing), you need to use MM properties edit or RegExp Find & Replace add-on, not Magic Nodes (that is for
"displaying/presenting" music in unique ways). Ask specific edit questions in add-ons froum, RegExp thread.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
JoePublic

Post by JoePublic »

In response to Jiri's question from 2-plus years ago, I find that I have installed a lot of add-ons. The one I use the most is glided.mmip (which I know is a skin, not an add-on per se). Glided doesn't seem to get much love from the Ventis staff. I find it to be the most functional and easiest to read BY FAR of any of the other skins I've seen. I know it isn't pretty. I don't care about pretty. I care about useful. I hope we users who like it can keep it.

Of the regular add-ons, I do use UpdatePlayStats on occasion - usually when I delete a track from a playlist I have made and replace it with a better version of the same song. I use UpdatePlayStats on the new track to show when the old track was last played. Usually I'm deleting the old track from my computer altogether. I will say, UpdatePlayStats doesn't always work properly. It sometimes puts in the wrong month.

Critically, I have used the UpdateLocationOfFiles when I transferred my library to a new PC and hard drive. As a Gold user, that was SO much easier than the other tools available. I have over 360,000 tracks. It would have taken days.

Also critically, I use the Advanced mIRC Integration Plug-In (AMIP) written for Winamp that writes selected fields of the Now Playing song to a text file. This lets me do a video stream and include the title, artist, composer, and year of the song my viewers are hearing without having to do a kludgy screen cap that wouldn't have all the info I want in it anyway.

CustomReport is a valuable tool to generate a report or file of desired data for selected tracks. I wish it were more flexible but it serves the purpose.

I have installed but rarely used RegExp Find and Replace, and SQL-Viewer. One of the huge frustrations I have with the MM.DB is that you can't access it with regular SQL Lite tools due to the customization MM utilizes.

I've installed some other add-ons that I didn't end up using, sometimes because they don't work as expected, sometimes because I didn't have the need.

I hope this feedback helps.