Finally took the necessary steps to sync (part of) my 95.000+ MM collection to my 120Gb iPod. Took me quite a while to figure things out and set up the configuration. Then the sync process took more than 18 hours. Came across a number of issues. Some could be bugs, some could be questions. Will post them in two separate grouping posts. See my previous post for the space management issues. Here are the other ones:
II. VARIOUS OTHER ISSUES
1. I checked the box that MM should start auto-syncing as soon as my iPod is connected. Sometimes it does, sometimes I need to rightclick the iPod node and select 'Auto-Sync'
2. To make the syncing process faster (takes up to 18 hours for 105 Gb, I terminated the auto-analyze audio level task, but it comes back every time. what is the use of terminating something that cannot be terminated?
3. I want the default priority for syncing to be highest. Why can't I select that default option in Tools > Options > Performance?
4. During syncing I get popup messages like 'Trial version of AAC (or other format) decoder is only valid for 30 days. Do you want to upgrade?' What kind of encodes are this? MM-built in? What if i do NOT want to upgrade?
5. After syncing is (finally) complete, could a small popup window be added, giving the main statistics - similar to the adding-files-to-library-completed window: MM synced your device in ...hrs...mins, removed .... tracks, added .... tracks, updated .... tracks, could not add .... tracks. And after that the window specifying tracks that could not be decoded, found, added etc.
6. Selecting COMPLETE classical works is FAR FROM easy in MM. With the help of users I managed to make a playlist that selects (most, not all!) complete classical works like operas and symphonies. But when I select these in playlists, MM does not sync all tracks, so most of my operas etc have tracks missing. I can not detect any pattern, but look at issue 7: they might be related.
7. Many of the selected playlists do NOT have the correct selected number of tracks. Two situations occur:
a. My iPod-playlists have more tracks than I selected in MM. Example: I want 100 tracks tagged 'Australia' in my playlist Australia. The playlist has 100 but on my iPod I find 118. My explanation: some tracks also appear in other playlists, so various 'Australian' ones can also be present in 'easy listening', 'english' or 'love songs'. In fact it is not a problem if MORE tracks are found than selected.
b. My iPod-playlists have fewer tracks than I selected in MM. I want 50 Belafonte songs, the MM-playlist selected 50 tracks, but my iPod only has 44. Similar (see issue 6) with the incomplete classical works. My assumption: if there is not enough space on the iPod, MM randomly selects the ones that fit and then stops. It would be nice, however, if I can influence what will be copied to my iPod if there isnt enough space.