Please kill me here, BUT isn't MM3 a bit late already?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Sebastian78

Please kill me here, BUT isn't MM3 a bit late already?

Post by Sebastian78 » Wed May 30, 2007 3:49 pm

Kill me if you want, I might deserve it for this.

BUT isn't MM3 a "tad" bit late? (TAD being a gross understatement...)

We are consumers, we pay for stuff, if we loose interest, we wont pay for it. See where I'm going here? There is/was/is an unprecedented hunger for a new Mediamonkey. Both because the competition (Microsoft and Apple) have released updates that ARE very good (but still have a lot of limitations) AND because MM2 feels/looks a bit outdated.

NOW, for argument sake, I THINK MM3Alphawhatever was released TOO SOON. I'm getting a bit tired of waiting basically.

MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat » Wed May 30, 2007 4:15 pm

What's your suggested alternative? Should they....

-Hire more programmers?
-Raise the price?
-Have fewer changes & innovations?
-Release more bugs?
-Should have started the 3.0 cycle earlier?
-Devote fewer resources towards 2.5?
-Scale back support?

Business is business, and resources are finite.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed May 30, 2007 4:21 pm

:cry: :cry:

LOL LOL :lol: :lol:

You and everyone else is also but i found out with the other version upgrades it works a little strange but in the end the product is better.

what they did before seemed have been make the new version then release the beta version to test, while they were making the new versions the other players were releasing their new vesion. soon afterward monkey's next beta version had a better feature then the other players that were released.

so they seem to be hanging back waiting them out and then seeing what they can make better in monkey then the others did in their players. which makes media monkey better and worth the wait.

I believe they also want to make sure they are 99% bug free with the release of mm 3. that is why they started with the alpha testing, unless i just missed the alpha testing on the other versions?

maybe they'll have a new alpha version in 3 weeks or less.
I hope they get that EQ button error fixed when they do put
an new alpha test out.
8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

Diabolic-Destiny

Post by Diabolic-Destiny » Wed May 30, 2007 4:32 pm

umm so your basically saying release it already even if its not even in beta stage?

Honestly an application will always have bugs and they dont want to release MM3 if its going to have half assed features and improvements because than people wouldn't upgrade.

They want it to be stable worth it and to work almost completly bug free from the start. As it stands now the Alpha is amazing I cant wait till the beta/Final are released

Steegy

Post by Steegy » Wed May 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Kill me if you want, I might deserve it for this.
How do you prefer it? :P

(Any) software is .always. too late. Programming something like MediaMonkey is more difficult than it seems (I too sometimes forget this fact).

Anyway, there's not much to do about this. The developers are working hard, but sometimes users' wishes/pressure and new portable hardware doesn't make their job much easier.
That said, we MM users can do things that help MediaMonkey (by helping its community) by making valuable contributions to forum, faq, wiki and by helping with the debugging.

BTW: You're not the only one that's curious/impatient for MM3, in fact most of us probably are (see forum). But that's part of the balance of life. We have to wait (bad) for MM3 (good) to happen. :wink: (ok, that's some philosophical stuff)
Extensions: ExternalTools, ExtractFields, SongPreviewer, LinkedTracks, CleanImport, and some other scripts (Need Help with Addons > List of All Scripts).

Morten

Post by Morten » Wed May 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Of course I want a fast release, but I don't want the developers to rush and make it "half-assed". I'm sure that they won't either. MM3 will come when it's ready, and it's not yet.
Best regards,
Morten

pah68

Post by pah68 » Wed May 30, 2007 6:44 pm

I thought I read somewhere on here "Personal issues" were delaying things a bit.

Bex

Post by Bex » Wed May 30, 2007 6:51 pm

pah68 wrote:I thought I read somewhere on here "Personal issues" were delaying things a bit.
Yes, I reflected over that too. I hope that part is or is going to be OK.
Big cheer up to the MM-team!
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

cmx

Post by cmx » Wed May 30, 2007 7:11 pm

Here is my point of view.

For me, totally *BASIC* functionality is missing from both MM2 and the MM3 alpha...mainly ACC tagging and functionality...I am NOT able to fully access my music. I have a mixture of m4a and mp3 files.

Because of the size of my collection, iTunes, WMP and WinAmp were becoming unusable...I had moved to Foobar and had some experimental luck...I then found MM2...it was something easy to use, had reasonable DB functionality and speed... and the promise of ACC capability was there....now two years later I still do not have the basic functionality for accessing all my music files...

ACC capability has been touted as a high priority the whole time...

To respond to marinebrats post:

-Hire more programmers?
I have no idea. Would it help or confuse?

-Raise the price?
That would be fine with me. If it would work. I have so far paid for MM twice...originally what I thought was a complete license (Gold) for MM2 and now another complete "Lifetime" fee for the MM3 alpha...so I have paid quite a bit already...I WOULD be willing to pay more for a functional program.

ABSOLUTELY---it definitely seems like there are too many changes at once here...personally I don't care about an EQ button, or some exotic skin... and while the album art stuff is a great "feature"...I have NOT been able to use MM3 successfully AT ALL so far...it has not been able to successfully create a database....I can't use the pretty bells and whistles if I can't even get all my files scanned properly....

-Release more bugs?
Backing off on the changes and "innovations" might take care of this one...

It WAS promised a lot earlier.

ABSOLUTELY...it was explained that MM3 was pushed back again and again because a stable MM2.5 was the priority. Make MM3 the priority now.

-Scale back support?
Again scaling back the feature changes and additions would possibly take care of any issues in this department...

MM3's slow progress has had a major negative impact on my music collection endeavors and the enjoyment of my current collection. I have essentially "been in transition" now for two years.

That being said...I DO appreciate MM and the work the devs have done...I just want to make sure my perspective is voiced. I hope it is received in they way it is meant, as a positive criticism as to program focus and ultimate practical usability from paying users.

Though I almost recoil at saying it...I cannot currently recommend MM to friends and family who are more casual users.

2uantuM

Post by 2uantuM » Wed May 30, 2007 9:16 pm

cmx wrote:Here is my point of view.

For me, totally *BASIC* functionality is missing from both MM2 and the MM3 alpha...mainly ACC tagging and functionality...I am NOT able to fully access my music. I have a mixture of m4a and mp3 files.

Because of the size of my collection, iTunes, WMP and WinAmp were becoming unusable...I had moved to Foobar and had some experimental luck...I then found MM2...it was something easy to use, had reasonable DB functionality and speed... and the promise of ACC capability was there....now two years later I still do not have the basic functionality for accessing all my music files...

ACC capability has been touted as a high priority the whole time...

To respond to marinebrats post:

-Hire more programmers?
I have no idea. Would it help or confuse?

-Raise the price?
That would be fine with me. If it would work. I have so far paid for MM twice...originally what I thought was a complete license (Gold) for MM2 and now another complete "Lifetime" fee for the MM3 alpha...so I have paid quite a bit already...I WOULD be willing to pay more for a functional program.

ABSOLUTELY---it definitely seems like there are too many changes at once here...personally I don't care about an EQ button, or some exotic skin... and while the album art stuff is a great "feature"...I have NOT been able to use MM3 successfully AT ALL so far...it has not been able to successfully create a database....I can't use the pretty bells and whistles if I can't even get all my files scanned properly....

-Release more bugs?
Backing off on the changes and "innovations" might take care of this one...

It WAS promised a lot earlier.

ABSOLUTELY...it was explained that MM3 was pushed back again and again because a stable MM2.5 was the priority. Make MM3 the priority now.

-Scale back support?
Again scaling back the feature changes and additions would possibly take care of any issues in this department...

MM3's slow progress has had a major negative impact on my music collection endeavors and the enjoyment of my current collection. I have essentially "been in transition" now for two years.

That being said...I DO appreciate MM and the work the devs have done...I just want to make sure my perspective is voiced. I hope it is received in they way it is meant, as a positive criticism as to program focus and ultimate practical usability from paying users.

Though I almost recoil at saying it...I cannot currently recommend MM to friends and family who are more casual users.
QFT. The lack of AAC support sucks.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed May 30, 2007 10:51 pm

yep it would be a bummer if you use that music format.

as to the skins i know some don't use them and they are just fluff for them. but the skin engine is being done by one developer that does only the skin engine. so fixing those errors comes a little easier for him to get done.

but the Eq button is in the mm 2.5 and winamp and almost every other player out there, why it is just up and not working properly now in mm 3 is unknown? so it should be fixed.

the format you use might be harder to work in to media monkey then expected. if it has the same tag needs as flac then they had to get the flac files working first.

i agree on the too much being added and asked for in the wishlist. but half to three quarters of the wishes can be done in the scripting by those that do it.

i think they are trying to make all the ducks line up in a row in the mm 3's new database to fix your scanning errors.

my ogg files were scanned in just fine on this winXp.

they also might be working on the vista stuff too since vista came out shortly before mm 3 alpha 1 did.

if any of the developers are in poor health right now then it is more important for them to get back in good health.

not being in the same area its hard to know what is up on the personel side of the developers if no body posts whats going on for us to offer support. so i hope all is well.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy 5 Android 5) 6. Proscan tablet Android 4.3 ) 7. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.

nojac

Post by nojac » Wed May 30, 2007 11:02 pm

cmx wrote: I cannot currently recommend MM to friends and family who are more casual users.
I don't think MM was ment for "casual users" They will be happy listening to their music with iTunes, WMP or even WinAmp 2.xx.

MM is for collectors/organizers. And we don't have an alternative, so we will wait....

Yes, I've been impatient too. But I suppose complaining won't speed up the process.

I am sure the developers are doing what they can to solve the problems with m4a and other issues/wishes reported here on the forum. Unfortunately I can not be of any help.

rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy » Wed May 30, 2007 11:24 pm

i'll add one more grip and it really is hard to do.

every time i put the beer on the little cup holder tray it gets knocked off and does get any songs burnned on the can,
so i can't get a mini disk on the can to play after i empty the can.
and the cpu is just too small to use for a pizza oven.

is that ever going to be fixed? :P :P :P

Morten

Post by Morten » Wed May 30, 2007 11:45 pm

nojac wrote:I don't think MM was ment for "casual users" They will be happy listening to their music with iTunes, WMP or even WinAmp 2.xx.
Maybe it fills needs that not all the basic users want or need, but it surely is meant for main-stream users as well. The MediaMonkey-team want their program to be used. Some of the MM-program is a bit too complicated, and I'm giving thoughts on how to simplify things in the program, without loosing functionality or compatibility.

And CMX; functionality is added because people want it, and it's essential for the program to load. MediaMonkey has in a long time had the under-title "Organize your music", that's what I tell all my friends when I try getting them over to MediaMonkey. I hope that I in a few months can add an argument to that under-title, and that is "Explore and enjoy your music".

To clearify;
- Fewer functions? No way.
- More coders? Why?
- Bugs in Alpha-versions? Yup.
- A stable release in the future? Bet on it.
Best regards,
Morten

M3wThr33

Post by M3wThr33 » Thu May 31, 2007 3:48 am

The PS3 recently added support for DNLA. That means programs on the PC can stream media to it, so my library of music is now available in my living room, easily.
One of the programs that works to stream media is Windows Media Player 11.
I know I never gave it much of a chance before and I figured I should try if I'm going to stream media to it.

Yeah... no. WMP11 is still garbage in every way for library management, especially for large collections and maintaining moved files. I had so many duplicates listed in WMP11 it was scary. (Because if a tag changed, the library updated to reflect the new music, but kept the old one there because the file still worked. Ugh)

So, I see myself sticking with MM for the long haul.