Installer can't update MMHelper.dll

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Romanski

Installer can't update MMHelper.dll

Post by Romanski »

Hi

Every time I install the debug build of MM3 the installer complains that it can't update MMHelper.dll because it's in use.

I do close MM3 before running the update. By using ProcessExplorer I can find which program MMHelper still has hooks in and kill it, but having to do this is certainly not nice :)

Just now I tried to check how often the 3.0.3 beta leaves dangling hooks and found that the MM3 process often just won't die at all (I've used the Exit menu to close it). But even when it does die, MMHelper hooks stick around afterwards...
cali

Post by cali »

I had the same problem. Wait a couple of minutes and click Retry, that worked for me.
Romanski

Post by Romanski »

True, waiting 2mins worked for me a couple of times too.

What made me post though is that today waiting a couple of mins didn't help, and in any case, having to wait like that is still something that would be best fixed.

(it's not the fact that I don't know of a work-around, but the fact that this bug seems to be unreported at this time. Unreported bugs are the worst :D since the devs might actually not be aware of them)
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

The reason this happens is that your antivirus program is monitoring MMHelper.dll because it has hooks into your keyboard, so the virus program flags it as suspicious. (This is for the purpose of MM hotkeys) Any program that hooks keyboard strokes is flagged as a suspicious program. (Possible keylogger, etc)

I get this every time I try to update MM, and I'm using AVG Antivirus. When it happens I have AVG update its signature files and then no problem on the MMHelper.dll. Occasionally I've run into an issue where AVG already has the latest signatures, and then I can't get it to let go of MMHelper.dll, in which case I restart the computer.
Michel37

Post by Michel37 »

I just delete the old mmhelper.dll before updating.

----------------
Now playing: Dream Theater - Erotomania + Paradigm Shift + Universal Mind
via FoxyTunes
Romanski

Post by Romanski »

MarineBrat wrote:The reason this happens is that your antivirus program is monitoring MMHelper.dll because it has hooks into your keyboard, so the virus program flags it as suspicious. (This is for the purpose of MM hotkeys) Any program that hooks keyboard strokes is flagged as a suspicious program. (Possible keylogger, etc)
I think you're talking about something altogether different - I didn't say the antivirus flags it, I don't even have any antivirus software installed :)
drjboulder

Post by drjboulder »

Romanski wrote:I don't even have any antivirus software installed :)
:o :o :o
D Rock
MediaMonkeyGoldv3.0.3.1183
Vista Home Basic|4thGen 20GPod
Zune Small Player Skin w/ Aqua 4 Player Mod
Backup | Last FM Node | Scrobbler DJ | TopTracks | StayInSameStyleDJ
RadioDJ | RadioFreeMonkey | PrettyPictures | MiniLyricsEmbedder
LyricsViewer | Lyricator | LyricsPlugin | VisualizationEmbedder | MonkeyRok
RightClickForWeb | WebSearchPanels | WebNodes | MagicNodes | FavoritesNodes
NowPlayingArtNode |AutoRateAccurate | TaggingInconsistencies
AdvancedDuplicateFind&Fix | CaseModify | PlayHistory&Stats | Etc...
Romanski

Post by Romanski »

drjboulder wrote:
Romanski wrote:I don't even have any antivirus software installed :)
:o :o :o
That's right, I don't, and I have good reasons not to... But let's not turn this thread into a discussion of the merits of anti-virus software :)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Re On Topic: Windows sometimes need some time to clear all hooks and let free some DLLs from Memory. I never knew why that happen with some apps but it happen often.

Re Off Topic: Romanski i could imagine your reasons. I had one situation where AV wasn't needed at all 100% Safe
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
MarineBrat

Post by MarineBrat »

Romanski wrote:[I think you're talking about something altogether different - I didn't say the antivirus flags it, I don't even have any antivirus software installed :)
Interesting. I guess it must be like Peke said... Windows is using that DLL. I can just report what I've discovered for my own situation.

I run AVG antivirus, I have installed nearly every single MediaMonkey alpha and beta that has come out over the last two years, and I have had it get stuck on MMHelper.dll in every single instance where I had been running MM just before running the MM update file. When the MM install file gets stuck on MMHelper.dll I let it sit at that screen while I go to AVG antivirus and ask it to check for updated signatures. If there are new signatures available, and I allow AVG to update itself, then 100% of the time when I go back to the MM install screen (I've left it sitting at the dialog where it can't update MMHelper.dll) and tell it to retry, it proceeds normally. This exact pattern of steps has occured at least 15 or 20 times.

In those instances where AVG has said that there wasn't a new signature file available then then AVG doesn't run through its update process and MMHelper.dll doesn't get released. That has also had a 100% occurence rate.

Additionally, I posted this same information to someone in the forum a while back who was having the same issue. It turned out he was running AVG and he responded to me with a string of thank you's for fixing his problem. As soon as he updated his AVG the MMHelper.dll file was released.

In your case, with no AV installed, it must be Windows itself that is locking the file, so it will be interesting to see if you can come up with a series of steps that cut it loose.

@MODS - Perhaps this information should go into a FAQ, or put into a help button on the install screen when MMHelper is locked?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

sometimes, you simply have an old/crashed instance of MM still running...

check task manager process list.
Romanski

Post by Romanski »

Happened again just now when upgrading from the official v3.0.2 to the latest beta. Unfortunately this time the hook was not in one of the apps I had running - it was in conime.exe, which is an OS process and not one that I can close/restart. In short, I had to reboot _before_ installing MediaMonkey. Not a good thing.

I really think this bug deserves some investigation. This never used to happen with WinAMP, which supported global hotkeys with none of the issues.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Romanski wrote:Happened again just now when upgrading from the official v3.0.2 to the latest beta. Unfortunately this time the hook was not in one of the apps I had running - it was in conime.exe, which is an OS process and not one that I can close/restart. In short, I had to reboot _before_ installing MediaMonkey. Not a good thing.

I really think this bug deserves some investigation. This never used to happen with WinAMP, which supported global hotkeys with none of the issues.
until you get your system cleaned out i would not worry about it.
just wait when you get hit by that new worm that totaled my sisters hp computer, you will then wish you had not been on line without the av program, of any maker. all it takes is to click on the wrong web page or have the wrong banner add pop up or have the worm load with an email when you preview the email messages.

but the only way to get it to stop this lock up when installing monkey is to delete the old helper file as already told to do.

yes the other programs did not cause this. but the other programs are not as good as media monkey. and might not have the options for keyboard use that monkey has.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Nonreality

Post by Nonreality »

I've had a huge problem with certain programs not releasing from memory on both my laptop and desktop. I've suspected that it must be my AV program but can't prove it. So I just live with it and do a lot of end processes.
If the rule you followed brought you here, what good is the rule.
Owyn

Post by Owyn »

I have had this problem (MMhelper.dll not stopping) off and on. I guess something around 60% of the time I just have to reboot to install an update. I could have killed the dll, but just felt safer with the reboot procedure.

I posted a report about it at one point, but, stopped updating that thread.

FYI: Did NOT see the problem updating from 1159debug to 1162debug.
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum. (Ambrose Bierce)
I drink therefore I am. (Monty Python)
Vista 32bit Home Premium SP2 / MM3.2.1.1297 Gold / Last.Fm 1.0.2.22 / IE8
Dell Inspiron 530 (1.8 Core2 / 2GB)
Skin: Vitreous Blue
Scripts: Add/Remove Playstat|Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix|Album Art Tagger|Backup|Batch Art Finder|Calculate Cover Size|Case&Leading Zero Fixer|DB_Audit|DB_Clean|DB_Schema|Event Logger|Genre Finder|Lyricator|Magic Nodes|MM2VLC|Monkey Rok|MusicIP Tagger|PUID Generator|RegExp Find & Replace|Right Click for Scripts|Scriptreloader|SQL Viewer|Stats(Filtered)|Tagging Inconsistencies