AAC Plug-In and auto-convert

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

drjohn

AAC Plug-In and auto-convert

Post by drjohn »

The AAC plug-in messes up files on an iPod (Nano) that are already on the computer as m4a's when MM is set to auto-convert files that are incompatible. The m4a's are chopped off on the iPod (only play a few seconds). The auto-converted other files (flacs) work fine. I had to completely unistall the plug-in (manually remove the dll's, since the uninstall did not remove them) to get my m4a's to play correctly on the iPod with auto-convert once again set to convert to mp3's.

The plug-in works fine when manually converting songs.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

drjohn,
I have iPod Nano 2G, I am using MM 3.0.3.1159 and I have no such issue with auto-convertion to m4a by using the plug-in. Which version of MM are you using and which iPod nano do you have ( 2G, 3G) ?

Is this somehow related to the Auto-Convert settings or is this consistenly reproducable for any convert settings?

Anyone else noticed this issue?
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

It was completely reproducible no matter what settings I used--even when converting the flacs to mp3's. The auto-conversion only worked after removing the dll's. i have the latest Nano (I guess that is 3G--the one with video) and the latest firmware. I tried the process with the latest MM3 beta and the latest "official" version--it was the same in both instances.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Some more info would be needed, since it doesn't seem to be reproducable on our side. Did it happen with all m4a files? What exact steps did you do? Maybe your iTunesDB from iPod after the sync would help (preferrably with just 1 track synced).

Jiri
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I have a lot of files on my iPod, a lot of which are originally m4a's so I cannot say for sure it was EVERY one--it was at least a LOT of them. They would play for a few seconds (vried in length) and then skip to the next song. THe ones that were converted played fine. I will try and do some more with this over the weekend and let you know what happens.
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

OK--I experimented this weekend. I reinstalled the plug-in and synched a playlist with only two songs: a song from the same I ripped in iTunes as I know has issues and a FLAC to be auto-converted to m4a. Both songs played fine. I then re-synched one of my playlists with about 50 songs (mixed m4a's and FLACs) and had the old issue of the m4a's not playing after a few seconds and the converted songs playing fine. I cannot find any other commonality to the issue. I did not have to play around much more, so I removed the dll, resynched with auto-conversion set to mp3, and everything plays fine.
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I have played around some more--unfortunately to no avail. My issue seems to be with m4a files that were ripped in iTunes. If I set to autoconvert my files with the plug-in then these files will not play when synching long lists. Strangely enough it does not seem to affect anything if only a few songs are synched/converted. I would send you the database, but it seems to mainly be an issue when synching larger playlists (one that I use as a trial for this is about 50 songs). I am at a loss--I would really like this to work...
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I have now tried with another computer and my 8GB video Nano--same results. When I tried to sync with my Mogul (win mobile phone) the files play fine.
jiri

Post by jiri »

So the problem is that some m4a don't play, but only when about 50 or more tracks are synced, right? Maybe you could try to check out whether you can reproduce with a single m4a (and ~49 other tracks) and e-mail that m4a to me then?

Jiri
drjohn

Post by drjohn »

I tried it with a smaller list--27 total songs. 19 FLAC's; 6 m4a's ripped from CD in iTunes (version unknown but a while back); 1 m4a converted by MM3 with plugin *before* synching; and 1 m4a purchased through iTunes Plus. The FLAC's were auto-converted to m4a's by the plug-in during sync.

Results: Converted FLAC's play fine; m4a converted by plugin before sync plays fine; m4a's ripped by iTunes do *not* play; m4a purchased through iTunes Plus does *not* play.

The strange thing is that the MM3 + plugin seems to want to convert the iTunes m4a's *again* during the syncing process (but those already converted by the plugin).

I will e-mail a couple of the m4a's in a seperate message.