1159 Search ";" fails in Artist

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

chrisjj

1159 Search ";" fails in Artist

Post by chrisjj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:28 am

Entering ";" in the search bar fails to find a literal ; character in the Artist field.

E.g. with a track having Artist value
literal;inartist
entering
inartist
finds it but entering
;inartist
does not.

(Help, topic Search says
Use qoutes around text to specify an exact match.
)
Chris

jiri

Post by jiri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:43 am

This is currently by design, ';' isn't considered to be a part of artist title. However, this will probably change in future versions when MM will improve support for multiple artists (as discussed in other threads here).

Jiri

Bex

Post by Bex » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 am

Aren't you just missing a <space> after ;?
; inartist
Advanced Duplicate Find & Fix Find More From Same - Custom Search. | Transfer PlayStat & Copy-Paste Tags/AlbumArt between any tracks.
Tagging Inconsistencies Do you think you have your tags in order? Think again...
Play History & Stats Node Like having your Last-FM account stored locally, but more advanced.
Case & Leading Zero Fixer Works on filenames too!

All My Scripts

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:22 am

> ';' isn't considered to be a part of artist title.

1) MM sure does consider part of the artist value when it displays it on track list and Properties.
2) it worked fine before the multiple artist messups of recent versions.
3) Current failure fails to accord with the docs.
Chris

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:22 am

Er, no - there is no space in the target string.
Chris

jiri

Post by jiri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:03 pm

I can't add more here, simply ';' currently separates multiple artists and isn't part of artist title (only denotes a connection between individual artists). I understand that it can cause problems in some special cases and as I wrote, improvements are being discussed in other threads.

Jiri

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:51 pm

> I can't add more here, simply ';' currently separates multiple artists
> and isn't part of artist title

Jiri, nowhere search defined to search the "artist title", whatever that is.

The user reasonably expectes that search searches the field(s) it says it is going to search. If the track list shows a value for Artist, then searching Artist for that value should find that track. Anything else is crazy. If MM starts making random undocumented exceptions like this, the user will never be able to trust the search feature.

> improvements are being discussed in other threads.

MM's special interpretation of ';' as an artist separator should having nothing to do with search. I.e. the special ';' interpretation made by the Artist /node/ should not interefe with the proper operation of search. Search's exclusion of ';' gives the user no advantage, and considerable disadvantage.
Chris

jiri

Post by jiri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:28 pm

Note that, even though I don't think it's an excuse, WMP11 works the very same way. As I wrote, improvements are being prepared, probably for MM 3.1.

Jiri

grommet

Post by grommet » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:56 pm

jiri, Explorer shell (Vista) & the latest version of foobar2000 also use semi-colon as a separator in the UI now. You are not alone.

Go ahead and support user configurable UI separators, though, if that will make everyone happy. But I prefer the "keep it simple" and "keep in consistent" ethic.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:57 pm

> As I wrote, improvements are being prepared

I see nothing written by you to suggest improvements to restore the search functionality. If such are planned, great.
Chris