1242 - Autosync - Playlist/Track/Album Names Truncated

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

nynaevelan

Re: 1242 - Autosync - Playlist Names Truncated

Post by nynaevelan »

Jiri

I have been testing this for several days and I still cannot find out what the problem is but it looks like both you and I were partially right. My Mcafee backup program was writing data to the debug log, and I am not experienced enough to know why, but I have uninstalled it to keep it from interfering. But I am still having problems with the syncs and no idea why although it looks like the device is syncing correctly. Honestly, I am going to just give up, and I guess I will have to live with 1. MM syncing my device and some tracks missing from device and/or playlists, 2. constantly exporting a copy of my db in order to use winamp to sync. Personally I am leaning more towards option 1 because Winamp does not sync the way I want it to and it is a major PITA to keep exporting just to sync, especially since I sync my device 3 or 4 times a week. But I think it would be best for someone in your company to have an XFi device because this device has other problems that are not evident in the other Zens. Although I like the smaller size of this one, it has turned out to be a whole set of problems that I was not plagued with when using the Vision, but it is built with more stability so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

But thank you for trying to help me resolve this. Maybe one day this will be resolved, but I am tired of beating my head up against a wall, this was not the way I was planning on spending my weekend. :-?

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> I still end up with phenomenon's that no one else seems to encounter.

I encountered it last year:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... es#p173291
1190 Database garbage collection??
my MM.DB file has thousands of records in Table: DeviceTracks for a Device that was long ago deleted and does not show in Table: Devices.
and was stil waiting for Devs' answer, but now I see here Jiri has said it is a bug to be fixed - thanks.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

jiri wrote:and also other users would probably have similar issues.
I would beware of assuming that, Jiri. IME few users will have the patience to persevere through these problems as far as debugging the filenames on the device. It really is hard and discouraging work. IME the average user will just wipe the player and sync from scratch, and never even bother to report the problem.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:
jiri wrote:and also other users would probably have similar issues.
I would beware of assuming that, Jiri. IME few users will have the patience to persevere through these problems as far as debugging the filenames on the device. It really is hard and discouraging work. IME the average user will just wipe the player and sync from scratch, and never even bother to report the problem.

I agree, and I can tell you this was my previous behavior but I was determined to get to the bottom of this for once and for all. And up until this point I was not that concerned with the extra info on the player but once my playlists became involved, I had to find an answer. :wink:

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> These files are only identifiable when viewing them through a file browser such as Windows Explorer

Alternatively, when viewing the output of WMlog - when that program doesn't crash.

If anyone has a better tool for listing the device content, please say. Esp. one that outputs intact filepaths.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

It would also be nice if anyone knew of a tool that would allow the user to run a debug log that is using a dll at any given time, something that can be limited to certain processes. It is Jiri's and my thought that there is some other program interfering with the dll while the device is syncing but I do not know of a way to find out what it could be. Is it only limited to programs that sync to the device or some latent program running in the background??

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Also, while syncing I am usually editing tags, which I was not doing
> when syncing on XP so that may also play a factor

If which syncing I play a list, MM (most recently 1248) can grey-out and skip a track. I hope this doesn't mean MM is interfering with itself, perhaps any play track with any sync track, or perhaps just the same track playing and syncing. sometime I'll do a test with a single big track syncing, then playing before end.
Chris
chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Now back to the DeviceTracks table. I have several questions:
> 1. Can a developer tell me why this table is not being cleared out if the device is no longer in the Devices table?

Fixed in 1249 http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5670. But note that the junk of devices deleted before this version remains, and is not removed by e.g. Maintain Library.

But I too am surprised to see the DB does not enforce referential integrity, and would be interested to know why, Devs.

> 3. What is the purpose of the Maintain DB option if it is not cleaning out this useless junk?

I'd guess the purpose is to clear out only junk the Devs were aware of :) One could suggest it should no be expanded to cover this new known case, but there are arguments against complexifying code such.

The better form of a fixer-upper would be a script, I think. Anyone prepared to make one? It simple needs to delete from DeviceTracks all records for devices not in Devices.
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

chrisjj wrote:> Now back to the DeviceTracks table. I have several questions:
> 1. Can a developer tell me why this table is not being cleared out if the device is no longer in the Devices table?

Fixed in 1249 http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5670. But note that the junk of devices deleted before this version remains, and is not removed by e.g. Maintain Library.

But I too am surprised to see the DB does not enforce referential integrity, and would be interested to know why, Devs.

> 3. What is the purpose of the Maintain DB option if it is not cleaning out this useless junk?

I'd guess the purpose is to clear out only junk the Devs were aware of :) One could suggest it should no be expanded to cover this new known case, but there are arguments against complexifying code such.

The better form of a fixer-upper would be a script, I think. Anyone prepared to make one? It simple needs to delete from DeviceTracks all records for devices not in Devices.
Now this may surprise you since I am a script junkie, but I would like this to be delivered by MM natively, and I still think it should be a part of the maintain library functionality. If not there, then there should be a separate cleanup functionalilty that not only fixes this but also the problem of playlist songs that are not cleaned up, as discussed here, another process that leaves behind useless junk that a script had to be created for to clean up.

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> as discussed here,
> another process that leaves behind useless junk that a script had to be created for to clean up.

Sorry, I don't understand that "here". What is this operation that leaves useless junk?
Chris
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nynaevelan wrote:It would also be nice if anyone knew of a tool that would allow the user to run a debug log that is using a dll at any given time, something that can be limited to certain processes.
What about ProcMon?
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96645.aspx
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I tried that but I couldn't figure out how to tell if something else was using the same dll. It just looked like it was giving me info on everything. If you have some tips on what I should be looking for??

Nyn

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

Nyn, Your pictures
are showing "UNAVAILABLE".
Chris
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Sorry I had to clean out my Flickr account, but hopefully these are the right ones.

chrisjj

Post by chrisjj »

> Sorry I had to clean out my Flickr account

I can recommend imageshack - without an account, (so far) unlimited storage. And with Firefox Imagebot, uploading is just a drag and drop.

> but hopefully these are the right ones.

Hard to tell, since they're blank! :)
Chris