Sync with IPOd Touch 3rd gen

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

aprzybylo

Sync with IPOd Touch 3rd gen

Post by aprzybylo »

I still have some problems with sync with Ipod touch 3rd gen. It was working fine for some time but yesterday when I did sync it updated about 1500 songs of my 3000 collection (even if I only modified few) and that corrupted most of my album covers. Then I tried to sync again and then it lost my whole collection (Ipod shows that space in other section and it cannot be accessed) and sync started to copy all 3000 songs.

other issue that I'm having that after some time itunes start to show error message (can't sync with -208 code) I still use itunes for all no music data so it's critical. Each time I need to restore my ipod.

Finally sync is taking much more time than for my old ipod nano (not copying files but preparing part and final one)

Re: Sync with IPOd Touch 3rd gen

Post by Guest »

I have also the issue with syncing my "iPod touch 3rd generation" in iTunes (error, can't sync with -208 code). This error only occurs, after I have synced my iPod touch with Mediamonkey and some titles was installed. When I remove all titles from my iPod touch the sync error will disappear. This issue seems to be the result of an incorrect filestructure at the iPod touch, probably caused by Mediamonkey.

With plugin "d_ipod.dll" an iTunes-compatibility-mode (force iTunes Folder structure) is available, but not with plugin "d_iphone.dll" (used for iPhone and iPod touch). Probably this is the reason for the syncing error in iTunes ?

Mediamonkey v3.2.0.1287
iTunes v9.0.1.8
Windows Vista Home premium SP 2
iPod touch 3rd gen. v3.1.2
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

aprzybylo wrote:I still have some problems with sync with Ipod touch 3rd gen. It was working fine for some time but yesterday when I did sync it updated about 1500 songs of my 3000 collection (even if I only modified few) and that corrupted most of my album covers. Then I tried to sync again and then it lost my whole collection (Ipod shows that space in other section and it cannot be accessed) and sync started to copy all 3000 songs.

other issue that I'm having that after some time itunes start to show error message (can't sync with -208 code) I still use itunes for all no music data so it's critical. Each time I need to restore my ipod.

Finally sync is taking much more time than for my old ipod nano (not copying files but preparing part and final one)
I'm having the same issues. iTunes can't read the files afterwards and MM can't even read them either. I'm normally forced to get another 3rd party program that see the iTouch file structure in order to wipe things out and start again. Anyone getting the 3rd gen iTouch to play nicely with MM??

Belg
Last edited by Belgrath on Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Guest wrote:With plugin "d_ipod.dll" an iTunes-compatibility-mode (force iTunes Folder structure) is available, but not with plugin "d_iphone.dll" (used for iPhone and iPod touch). Probably this is the reason for the syncing error in iTunes ?
No, that is not the reason. d_iPhone.dll does not have an option for this because the device requires this type of file structure no matter what. There is no point in putting the option in at all, so it always syncs with "force itunes file structure".

iPods have the option because some of the much older models did not require that file structure.

For those of you having issues: as far as I have seen nearly all problems of this kind are the result of some other program accessing and changing the iPhone/ipod touch contents. Usually it is iTunes, because you have not used the proper set up: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _ipod_sync

You can NEVER use the "Sync" function in iTunes because it will wipe out tracks/etc. synced by MediaMonkey. To use iTunes to get videos, etc. on your device, you must manually drag and drop the contents to the iPod node.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

nohitter151 wrote:
Guest wrote:With plugin "d_ipod.dll" an iTunes-compatibility-mode (force iTunes Folder structure) is available, but not with plugin "d_iphone.dll" (used for iPhone and iPod touch). Probably this is the reason for the syncing error in iTunes ?
No, that is not the reason. d_iPhone.dll does not have an option for this because the device requires this type of file structure no matter what. There is no point in putting the option in at all, so it always syncs with "force itunes file structure".

iPods have the option because some of the much older models did not require that file structure.

For those of you having issues: as far as I have seen nearly all problems of this kind are the result of some other program accessing and changing the iPhone/ipod touch contents. Usually it is iTunes, because you have not used the proper set up: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... _ipod_sync

You can NEVER use the "Sync" function in iTunes because it will wipe out tracks/etc. synced by MediaMonkey. To use iTunes to get videos, etc. on your device, you must manually drag and drop the contents to the iPod node.
Yep I've followed this page to the letter. I've disabled iTunes sync and was only using the MM sync. At first I was simply dragging and dropping the tunes from MM into the iTouch. Most of the songs would play, 10% of them ended up being unplayable. And now a large majority of them I can't even see from MM so that I can't clear off the iTouch. So I needed to use another program in order to delete them directly from the iTouch and bypass itunes/MM.
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

Belgrath wrote:
aprzybylo wrote:I still have some problems with sync with Ipod touch 3rd gen. It was working fine for some time but yesterday when I did sync it updated about 1500 songs of my 3000 collection (even if I only modified few) and that corrupted most of my album covers. Then I tried to sync again and then it lost my whole collection (Ipod shows that space in other section and it cannot be accessed) and sync started to copy all 3000 songs.

I'm having the same issues. iTunes can't read the files afterwards and MM can't even read them either. I'm normally forced to get another 3rd party program that see the iTouch file structure in order to wipe things out and start again. Anyone getting the 3rd gen iTouch to play nicely with MM??

Belg
I re-checked all of my settings and everything seems fine, I think it has to do with the fact that my playlist that I'm trying to sync is much larger than the available space on the iTouch. There is an option to randomly select various songs from this playlist up to the maximum available space, however if there isn't a certain available I find that iTunes within the iTouch will crash, also seems to be an issue processing the various cover art as well. I'm doing another sync that should leave around 2-3g free and I'll let you know. too bad there wasn't an option that allowed you how much space you wanted to leave free.
Dazza

Post by Dazza »

But this does not explain how you continue to load Apps through your iTunes which requires you to Sync. Therefore negating the effect of using MM instead of iTunes. Sync iTunes, lose songs from iPhone, sync MM, songs come back. A long drawn out process.

This makes MM and iTunes unteniable dual solutions.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Dazza wrote:But this does not explain how you continue to load Apps through your iTunes which requires you to Sync.
Loading apps does NOT require iTunes. you can download them directly to the iPhone/Touch which then has no effect on music/etc.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Belgrath

Post by Belgrath »

nohitter151 wrote:
Dazza wrote:But this does not explain how you continue to load Apps through your iTunes which requires you to Sync.
Loading apps does NOT require iTunes. you can download them directly to the iPhone/Touch which then has no effect on music/etc.
Also you can specify exactly what you want iTunes to sync, and you can set them independantly.
- Contacts / notes
- music
- video
- apps

etc... For music I don't allow iTunes to sync, for the rest of it I can select yes.

MM does a much better job of allowing you to slice and dice your collection to make various playlists. Plus building an entire new library in MM is a snap, in iTunes you can start it, leave and grab a coffee, drive around town, build a shed in the backyard, go back to your PC and find that its 15% done... :lol:
ParrotSquawk

Post by ParrotSquawk »

nohitter151 wrote:

Using MM, if I change certain tags of songs, I want to resync the library. HWR MM wants to delete missing songs because it does not recognize them as being the same songs on my HD as on the iTouch. How can I resync without having to reemove all the songs from the iTouch?