Details on MM4 Codec Pack

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

etheriau

Details on MM4 Codec Pack

Post by etheriau »

Would it be possible to get some details on the codec pack? i.e. types of encoders used for AAC (Nero?) MP4 video etc...Proprietary open source etc...?
Will it be available for free to media gold consumers?
thx
nohitter151

Re: Details on MM4 Codec Pack

Post by nohitter151 »

AAC encoder is the same as in the old AAC plugin (FAAC). Not official, but I assume it will not be free to Gold members, just as the m4a/aac encoder was not.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

OK...Just wondering why you are charging for an open source encoder...Can't you do it the "foobar" way i.e. pointing to an external CLI encoder? can that be done?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

etheriau wrote:OK...Just wondering why you are charging for an open source encoder...Can't you do it the "foobar" way i.e. pointing to an external CLI encoder? can that be done?
AAC/m4a encoding requires a licensing fee regardless of the encoder (just as for mp3 files).

Re: external encoder, see: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=1391
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

I Totally agree with zvezdan in your Mantis URL!! This is what the "competition" does...i.e. pointing to an external encoder for conversion therefore avoiding the licensing fee issues (Foobar, dBpoweramp, CDEX etc...) (I guess that's why it's done is it??)

Then MM would be THE ultimate all-in-one solution!! or at least give us the option to do so if you still want to offer your FAAC option which IMHO doesn't perform as well as the NERO and Itunes encoders.

Had your reversed engineer the ALAC codec like dBpoweramp did then I could see the point of buying the codec but it's not the case with this particular FAAC encoder.

Thx for the answers Jiri.
etheriau

Post by etheriau »

I meant nohitter sorry!