[1460+] MM4 performance with large library sucks

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

robojock

[1460+] MM4 performance with large library sucks

Post by robojock »

I have a few issues with mm4 and my library, at the moment my mm4 database is 713mb big. I know mm4 is still alpha/beta stage, but at the moment doing normal tasks with it is a living hell. I've tried many times doing library maintenance quick and complete, but that doesn't seem to help.

Issues that i have picked up are for example it took mm4 about 5-10 mins just to do a "analyze of volume" with 18 songs.
Right clicking a artist and doing a search for the same album/artist/ or whatever options you have makes mm4 stall for a few seconds before coming up with results.
Rescanning the library and doing that will make mm4 stall for a few seconds while it scans a file then it will continue for a few more folders and stall again. It does that over and over.
Clicking on a node for example Music->location->etc. makes mm4 stall till that folder has opened

These are just a few issues which i have picked up lately with mm4, there could be more but these are the most annoying cause you cant get anything done without waiting. Im running the latest version of mm4 which is 1350. My os is windows 7 x64 with sp1. Quad core cpu with 4gigs of ram.
Last edited by robojock on Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
PetrCBR

Re: [1350] MM4 performance with large library sucks

Post by PetrCBR »

Can you send me your library, please (using any file sharing service).
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1348 was still really quick here, 1349 was slow and 1350 might be even slower. I haven't been able to do any maintenance as MediaMonkey requires enough free space on the Windows drive that I don't have. I thought it was due to that.

@robojack, from what original version as your database?
@PetrCBR, I can send my DB too if you want.
PetrCBR

Post by PetrCBR »

Lowlander: yes, send it as well, please.
How to make a debuglog - step 4b: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=86643
robojock

Post by robojock »

Lowlander, I upgraded from a mm3 database and i have even tried creating a new database with mm4, but i still get the same performance.

PetrCBR, any news?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

1351 should have improved performance, but the issue is still being looked into as well.
robojock

Post by robojock »

build 1351 still them same :(
Rojer

Post by Rojer »

Hi all,

I have moved to beta since 1344. large db too (314 mb). upgraded from 3.c from 2.5x... Would have to export user fields and many playlists to generate a new DB.

Overall 4.1344 experience has been quite slow here as well, with lots of performance hits (minutes long stalls), some long enough that I killed MM. I just didn't report about performance or crashes until now since I seem to be unable to track down any specifics to help with debugging.

What I noticed:
  • - updating multiple items (as few as some dozens) stalls MM
    - Browsing is not responsive as it used to be. "find more like" feature same as browsing. I found a HUGE improvement with making the db file contiguous on drive but it wouldn't last for long. I don't dare using task scheduler for now with this file. *Personal thought: some sparsing might be a good idea, at least as long as MM will be windows hosted :)
    - Simple search is slower than with 2.5/3.x too.
    - Mounting the album art folder to data disk helps a lot since the windows drive would usually unspin and cause unsexy delay. I posted about this in an album art related thread.
The most peculiar thing is that using advanced search or creating a collection will crash or report an error without crashing. This has been going on since 1344 and is still there. As nobody seemed to complain about search or collections, I guess my DB is at fault.

System is XPxp3 with 4gb ram on an i7. Mp3 disk (fat32) is "mounted" in the mymusic folder. "My documents" (and hence "mymusic" on dedicated drive. Windows drive just hosts windows, profiles and programs. MM db on music drive. Data disk (hosting DB File) is a 2X2TB mirror raid but music disk is a single 1TB 7200 drive. System is in pretty good shape show very low latency in production apps (mainly audio).

No MM scripts yet.

I can ftp db too if you care.

MM4 is an ambitious project. I send you all my (useless) support :)

Roger - Biarritz - France
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You might want to start again with the 3.x database as this would rule out any issues caused by previous Alpha versions. Also when MM4 comes out MM3 to MM4 should work so testing with a 3.x database is not a big issue (Ideal would be a full clean install).
robojock

Post by robojock »

Lowlander wrote:You might want to start again with the 3.x database as this would rule out any issues caused by previous Alpha versions. Also when MM4 comes out MM3 to MM4 should work so testing with a 3.x database is not a big issue (Ideal would be a full clean install).
Lowlander, I do that with every build that gets released. I delete all the contents thats under "roaming" folder and let mm4 do a upgrade from the mm3 database. I do that because i still work with mm3 on a daily basis so any changes done in that database would appear in the new mm4 database. But no luck, there are some performance improvements with some things, but with others its really a pain to work with :evil:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I haven't started with a clean DB yet (mine is from 1348), but 1351 is also slow here.
Rojer

Post by Rojer »

Just applied tags to 100.000 tracks. 36 hours on a fast i7.
Db deletion planned. Will report when done.

Roj.
robojock

Post by robojock »

Rojer wrote:Just applied tags to 100.000 tracks. 36 hours on a fast i7.

Roj.
That will always be slow... doesn't matter what program use... it will choke that program. Best is to do that little by little :wink:
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Rojer wrote:Just applied tags to 100.000 tracks. 36 hours on a fast i7.

Roj.
It takes about 22 to 26 hours for me to do an add/rescan of my library (95,000 audio tracks with non-imbedded art) IF I have the library grid in view. Whenever doing large updates you have to make sure only the "Now Playing" node is selected and you have no tracks currently in the Now Playing pane grid. The issue is that the main grid is re-updated with each track change (not each 1% like you would expect) and since a refresh of a single grid row of 95,000 rows in the grid takes about 3 to 5 seconds... and there are only 86,400 seconds in a day... well you get the idea. I found this bug a while ago, make sure the main grid has no rows in it and it will probably run much faster because it is probably refreshing the grid with each track and causing the job to run 36 hours.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I would expect the grid to be updated on each song. But only if there is something updated in the file scanned or when it's a new file being added.