Re-scanning overwrites similar named songs

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

DieHardDan

Re-scanning overwrites similar named songs

Post by DieHardDan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 pm

Ok, I have alot of songs with the same exact title/filename in my library, so what I've always done was add a period to the end of one of the songs to keep media players from getting confused and it's always worked well. But, I recently lowered the bit rate of a bunch of my songs, and in order to update the tags in MM I did the "add/rescan files to library". When I do this, MM overwrites one of the versions with the other. For example:

Knockin' On Heaven's Door Bob Dylan
and
Knockin' On Heaven's Door. Guns N' Roses

After rescanning the library, both versions will be the Guns N' Roses version, even though the filenames didn't change. It also completely overwrites the Bob Dylan version tags with the Guns N' Roses tags. So basically it leaves me with two Guns N' Roses versions with different filenames. And it's not only within MM, it changes the actual file as well. Luckily, I have a backup.

I can reproduce this every time I rescan the library.
I'm using 1424
Win 7

rusty

Re: Re-scanning overwrites similar named songs

Post by rusty » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi DieHardDan,

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly (nor do I understand how it's even possible if the files have different filenames). Can you please PM me with a link to two tracks that I can use to replicate the problem (preferably zipped with the appropriate directory structure).

Note: Is it possible that when you did the conversion, you used the '(o) Convert files, replacing originals' option?

Thanks.

-Rusty

DieHardDan

Post by DieHardDan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:24 am

rusty wrote:Hi DieHardDan,

I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly (nor do I understand how it's even possible if the files have different filenames). Can you please PM me with a link to two tracks that I can use to replicate the problem (preferably zipped with the appropriate directory structure).

Note: Is it possible that when you did the conversion, you used the '(o) Convert files, replacing originals' option?

Thanks.

-Rusty
Ok, I think I may have spotted where the problem lies. MM Ignores periods at the end of songs under the "convert file(s) to new destination
option". So when I go to convert songs I have titled as "I'm Sorry" and "I'm Sorry ." MM ignores the period on the second song and shows them as duplicates. MM does not ignore periods under the "Convert file(s), replacing the originals" option.

rusty

Post by rusty » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13 pm

Thanks.

Tracked at: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8354

In the meantime, use a mask with a '-' or some other character.

-Rusty