Device free space listing is wrong and slow [#8656]

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

tommycrock

Device free space listing is wrong and slow [#8656]

Post by tommycrock »

On my RockBoxed Sansa clip+, the bar that shows music/video/other/freeSpace shows free space at 0 and music greater than the capacity of the device. This happens for both the onboard flash and the microSD card. It also takes quite a while (say 20 seconds) to calculate this. I assumed the incorrect reporting was because I am auto-converting from FLAC to mp3 for some files and that it was expected, but now I'm thinking it isn't expected behaviour? Auto-sync works fine and doesn't suggest there is insufficient space despite this. Sorry to spring this on you at RC4 :oops:
Ludek

Re: Device free space listing is wrong and slow

Post by Ludek »

Note that it reports post-sync state. i.e. To Sync + Synced + Used space. i.e. if you unselect all then then it should show what is actually on the device.
Can you confirm?
tommycrock

Re: Device free space listing is wrong and slow [#8656]

Post by tommycrock »

Hi Ludek
I can confirm that what I am seeing is post-synchronisation. The sync occurs fine and doesn't report lack of space or any other problems. Both of these images are after syncing.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/SyncK.png
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/SyncL.png
What I didn't say was that the free space at the top reports fine, but not at the bottom (in the bar). Here's a log of me syncing the two devices.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/Sync.LOG
P.S. I'm likely to be offline for the next few days.
edit
P.P.S. Here's what it shows for the K drive if I clear the sync list entirely
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39561993/SyncK2.png
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, the bottom indicator shows the post-sync (projected state), this is a little bit confusing and is tracked here:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 656#c28720
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Hi Ludek, thanks.
Assuming you're estimating the level of compression, is it possible that the estimate is just a bit out, because I've got quite a lot of FLAC stuff that's being converted to 256kb MP3s. So the difference if there was no estimate between real final state and projected would be huge, but instead it just seems a bit wrong (about 1.8GB by my calculation (stated audio+video+other+toSync - actualSpaceUsed)). Note I haven't actually calculated the amount of unconverted stuff to be synced, it's just a hunch.
I'm also not sure that showing post-sync state, or some issue to do with calculation of compression when auto-converting are the only problems here. In both images, the devices suggest there is still more to sync, but I've just successfully completed a sync and had no error messages (so there shouldn't be). Don't know :-?
The only other thing to say is it seems a bit odd that it thinks there would still be 2.4 GB of audio on the K drive after I cleared the entire sync list, because all the audio on there should have been synced by mediaMonkey (I thought, maybe there's something on there I forgot about).
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Yes, it is indeed strange that there is 2.4 GB of audio on the K drive after you cleared the entire sync list. But are you sure that the audio was synced by MediaMonkey? Maybe by another device plugin or another version of MediaMonkey?

If you clears everything on the device and re-sync, does the problem still occur?
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

I'll let you know when I get home. But I guess it must at least be stored somewhere strange, since I have the 'delete files not on sync list' option selected.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

Well, having deleted all the music from the K drive and resynced, the display is looking more sensible (it's no longer claiming there is stuff to sync and the size / free space are more accurate). I had forgotten about some recordings that I hadn't accounted for, but there wasn't 2.4GB worth (just about 120MB, I didn't delete any music from elsewhere). There is now about 49.5 MB of other files on the K drive (according to WinDirStat), but MM reckons there's 300MB. There's 972MB free, but MM calculates 987MB (I guess that could be a difference between used on disk and actual data? or not accounting for the filing system itself?).

Either way, the L drive still seems a bit odd. I haven't tried clearing it because I'm intrigued at what's going on. It's as if the algorithm to calculate the bar at the bottom is thinking there is audio still to be synced, but once the sync algorithm runs it realises those files actually exist. As I've said above, even after I sync it still thinks there's files to sync (currently 1.7GB, up from 550MB when I posted the last screenshot). As you can see below, I only have two folders (music and video), no files in the root and 'delete files not included...' is ticked. Some of the music on it may well have come from an old version of MM but this set-up should sort it out. After a sync (which calculated for a while then stopped without transferring anything or giving any messages), I've got 5353 music files on the device, but the bar in MM calculates 5570. In the auto-sync list if I hover over the node it also reports there are 5353 files to be synced.

As above, the 'other' amount seems quite a way out. I even tried changing the music directory from all caps in case it was a continuation of that bug, but no luck.
One other thing, I noticed that the white space behind the text for the three text boxes, 'scan as soon as...', 'auto-sync...' and 'automatically unmount...' will go over the device image when the window is made small, even though the text is nowhere near it. Don't know if this is to accommodate much larger text sizes.

[edit]
I thought I might have figured out at least part of what was going on, the tracks have been running volume analysis and I thought it might be to do with that. But the main 'album' for which that's been running is 338 files, but the difference between reality and what the bar thinks should be happening is only 217 files.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

So to summarise, it seems as if:
1. although the indicator bar shows post-sync state, it doesn't account for files to be deleted
2. In my case, the indicator appears to not identify some of the tracks on the device as matching the sync list, but the sync procedure does
3. Deleting the affected tracks and resyncing them enables the indicator to correctly match them
4. There is some discrepancy over the calculation of 'other' files
5. Rusty thinks the indicator bar should just show current state anyway (and presumably also 'to sync').
6. Providing 'to sync' still needs to be calculated, point 2 needs addressing
Points 1 and 2 mean my initial assumption about not correctly calculating the size of FLAC files converted to MP3 was wrong.
And my 32GB card with 5353 songs on it takes 1 minute 20s to calculate the indicator bar. Don't know if that's expected.
Last edited by tommycrock on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charlieMOGUL

Post by charlieMOGUL »

tommycrock wrote:So to summarise, it seems as if:
And my 32GB card with 5353 songs on it takes 1 minute 20s to calculate the indicator bar. Don't know if that's expected.
Yeah, I got a 'problem' with that as well, using a 3TB external drive. It takes each time around 15 mins (over an USB 3 connection) to calculate the indicator bar. It scans all files on the drive.

charlieMOGUL.
tommycrock

Post by tommycrock »

An update: changing the tags with MP3tag (specifically, deleting images and APE tags) has apparently caused this problem (files not being identified as matching by the process that calculates the 'to sync' bar but matched by the sync itself) to reappear on the K drive. Note that this wasn't what I did initially, it may be something else that has triggered the problem and that it hasn't occurred for most files. Probably a useless update but there you go.