AutoTag "Add Artwork" Regression

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

KEP

AutoTag "Add Artwork" Regression

Post by KEP » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:54 pm

I wouldn't call it a bug. Well, I suppose I would, but most folks would probably just call it a regression, or even <cough> an enhancement.

In MM3, when you AutoTag'd from the web, and chose to save the Album Art, the saved file would be named exactly what you told it to be named. If there was already a file by that name in that folder, you'd get the customary warning asking whether or not to overwrite. I view that as the proper behavior for Windows software. (Note, I'm not restricting that opinion to MM alone -- it's just good design.)

In MM4, same scenario, the saved file assumes an entirely new name if one by the user-chosen name already exists. For example, if you ask that the file be named "Album (cover).jpg", and one by that name already exists, MM4 will just silently alter your choice to "Album (cover)_2.jpg". And there are now two, rather than the intended one, piece of artwork associated with that album.

This forces the user, who knows what he's doing when specifying Save As names, to drop to Explorer and delete the file that was supposed to be overwritten, rename the new file with the intended filename, then pop back into MM and delete the reference to the now-gone JPG. That's just not cool.

I would suggest this aberrant behavior needs to be restored to the more universal standard. Those who actually want a second image with a nearly identical name would still have the customary choice of choosing another name. Coddling file system ignorance is just waaaay too Apple-ish for the MM crowd. :wink:

BKKKPewsey

Re: AutoTag "Add Artwork" Regression

Post by BKKKPewsey » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:47 pm

+1
Also excellent description of the problem!
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:20 pm

Already mentioned.
Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

KEP

Post by KEP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:22 pm

Lowlander wrote:Already mentioned.
Eh?

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:29 pm

Lowlander (MediaMonkey user since 2003)

KEP

Post by KEP » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:44 pm

Thanks. Couldn't quite bring myself to post it as a bug, because it was obvious that it was "by design." Software just doesn't do that on its own. One or more of the developers clearly felt this was appropriate behavior and went to some trouble to implement it. :(