[4.0.3.1465/6] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Otello

Re: [4.0.3.1465/6] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by Otello »

OK, with 1467 the sorting/grouping issue seems fixed.
Thanks!
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Agreed. 1467 seems to have fixed this issue.
--
The gpzbc
MeeMeeMee

Post by MeeMeeMee »

Hallelujah!
Happy happy joy joy.
MM 4.0.7.1511 on Win XP SP3
Media on D-Link DNS-323 NAS box, shared using SAMBA/CIFS
gpzbc

Re: [4.0.3.1465/6/81] Sorting/grouping bug(s)

Post by gpzbc »

I just installed v. 1481, and it seems that this bug is back. There are a few of my albums that are no longer being grouped. Let me know if I can help at all.
Here is a screenshot.

and another:

--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Hmm... Am I the only one that confirm this in the newest build?
--
The gpzbc
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

gpzbc wrote:Hmm... Am I the only one that confirm this in the newest build?
What node? I've tried on the Music node, individual album nodes, artist nodes, and playlist nodes but didn't see any similar issue.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

I'm in the "Entire Library" node. But it seems to happen to the same albums in every node I try.
Odd thing is that it is only a small percentage of my albums that are not being grouped/sorted properly. I can't seem to see any similarities between those that are affected.
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Is it expected behavior for it to be split up if the album year is different for different songs in the album? Take a look at the Janis Joplin album. Since it is a greatest hits album, the songs were produced in different years. But that never caused the album not to group properly for me before. And the Kings of Leon album in my picture has the same date, but is not being grouped.
--
The gpzbc
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, you're showing sort on Summary which takes the complete value for grouping (first and second row). As for Kings of Leon try opening properties on all files on Album and make sure the values are the same (like Artist, Album, Date).
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Ok. I guess that makes sense.

I think I found part of the reason why this is happening. If you look at the column headers in the Kings of Leon shot, both "Artwork" and "Summary" are selected for sorting/grouping. And I didn't select "Artwork." It seems that when I click the "Entire Library" node, both columns (Artwork and Summary) get automatically selected for sorting. Here are some examples of what I mean.

This is after clicking on the "Entire Library" node. Notice both "Artwork" and "Summary" are automatically selected.

Now, if I simply go up and unselect "Artwork" then this is the result.

And I have double checked the tracks on that album and there don't seem to be any differences. (eg. Disc 2, track 7 is the same as disc 2, track 8.)
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, you're showing sort on Summary which takes the complete value for grouping (first and second row). As for Kings of Leon try opening properties on all files on Album and make sure the values are the same (like Artist, Album, Date).
I've scoured the Kings of Leon example, and the only difference I can see is that they were added to my library on two different dates. That is, the first group of Kings of Leon in the picture was added a week earlier than the second group of Kings of Leon songs in my picture.

Is there any chance that it is also sorting by date added when the "Summary" is selected for grouping/sorting??
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

gpzbc wrote:
Lowlander wrote:Yes, you're showing sort on Summary which takes the complete value for grouping (first and second row). As for Kings of Leon try opening properties on all files on Album and make sure the values are the same (like Artist, Album, Date).
I've scoured the Kings of Leon example, and the only difference I can see is that they were added to my library on two different dates. That is, the first group of Kings of Leon in the picture was added a week earlier than the second group of Kings of Leon songs in my picture.

Is there any chance that it is also sorting by date added when the "Summary" is selected for grouping/sorting??
Hmm.. Things definitely seem to be a bit screwy. In the Kings of Leon example where "Summary" is selected for grouping/sorting, I chose to sort by a different column, then clicked back on "Summary" column and it now sorts/groups the Kings of Leon album properly. But I noticed something else that might help. When I am in the track properties dialog box, and when I click on "Update & Next Song" it takes me all over the place. I'll PM you a quick video so you can see what I mean.
--
The gpzbc
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

After a closer look, it seems to be advancing in alphabetical order by track name. So this raises the bigger question. How does sorting/grouping by "Summary" work? Maybe I don't understand how it is designed to work, and that is why it seems off to me. :oops: And did it change from MM3 to MM4? I have always sorted/grouped by "Summary" but have only recently started noticing these things.

Thanks for taking the time to help me sort this out. Maybe my brain has the bug instead of the MM4 beta build. :D
--
The gpzbc
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

gpzbc wrote:When I am in the track properties dialog box, and when I click on "Update & Next Song" it takes me all over the place.
YES, that's exactly what I described on this thread a while back, but somehow my post was removed/lost, with no explaination from the gurus who I PMd. :x Anyway, I couldn't find a pattern between the 'random' track-hopping on one album, which followed the same sequence, and another album which was sequential up to a point, after which it wouldn't move to the next track. I had to close Properties, open Properties on the next track, from where it would then continue in sequence and loop to the beginning again until it got back to the point where it wouldn't move any further. :-?

I'll check again with the added info you guys have contributed about Artwork and Summary etc., which hopefully will help. But I'd also be grateful for a PM of the video you made so I can compare.

Thanks.
gpzbc

Post by gpzbc »

PM sent
--
The gpzbc